iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some advice

Started by Woodwalker, April 22, 2007, 09:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodwalker

I've got about 1,400' of Red Oak that is air-drying. It has been shedded and a week ago it was at about 18% MC. That figure is from the center of a stack. I'm looking to get it into a kiln, but I'm afraid the guy I've been using business has grown so that he doesn't want to fool with my small amount of lumber. 
So here is the question; the lumber is going to end up planned T&G, used as a wall covering, wainscot and trim in a remodel. If I can't find a kiln will fans blowing on the stacks and time get me to something I can live with? Also, at 18% MC how much more shrinkage can I expect?
Thanks folks,
Wade
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Den Socling

You will have a lot of movement if you use it for paneling. At some areas, the tongue will come out of the groove.

beenthere

Humidity and temperature will be the key you want to look at. Both where it is air drying, and where it will be eventually put in the re-model.
If the two are very different, you can calculate the expected movement.

Air movement is good, for even moisture content in the load.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodwalker

Thanks for the replies. I've got another lead a kiln about thirty miles from here, it that doesn't work out, guess I'll need to travel a bit to find a kiln.
Thanks again
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Thank You Sponsors!