iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

one machine to do it all

Started by MICKEY108, March 30, 2013, 04:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MICKEY108

what would one machine that could built roads ,skid logs, load logs just wondering

Ianab

I can't think of any that will do all those jobs well, but a large excavator is probably the most versatile.

Just they don't do so well on skidding, if you have any distance to travel anyway.

Most of the smaller crews here would run a decent excavator (~20 ton) AND a skidder, then they can handle pretty much anything.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thenorthman

Shovel logging (I.E. excavator) is becoming all the rage for small sites.  Get a medium sized excavator and add a blade to it not much you can't do with it.  I've heard of guys moving logs upwards of a few hundred yards with just an excavator.  The trick is to make piles, as far as the boom can reach, then just keep moving the piles until your piling em on a truck.
well that didn't work

lumberjack48

I bought a new 450 JD back in 76, with a 15 inch Vesco shear head, also had the front end loader. I could have got the 6 way blade with it and arch and winch.
I. You could shear trees up to 15 inch
2. You could turn around and skid
3. You could sort, pile and load logs
4. You could build and ditch roads
5. With one machine 8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

MDLogging

a Timberpro combo machine if u have deep pockets. 

Cedar Savage

Quote from: lumberjack48 on March 30, 2013, 12:41:20 PM
I bought a new 450 JD back in 76, with a 15 inch Vesco shear head, also had the front end loader. I could have got the 6 way blade with it and arch and winch.
I. You could shear trees up to 15 inch
2. You could turn around and skid
3. You could sort, pile and load logs
4. You could build and ditch roads
5. With one machine 8)

Add an old Gregory clam trailer & you'd have it all....
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Thank You Sponsors!