iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wireless remote control

Started by peterduncan, September 10, 2008, 04:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterduncan

I have a 2007 Timberking B-20 mill that I would like to replace the reel that handles the up and down of the head with a wireless remote control unit. I have heard of this being done, but I do not know what product they are using. Help! Help! I have learned that I might be able to use a remote for a winch.

Radar67

Pineywoods was working on a remote unit for his saw. He can tell you where to get the relay kit.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

pineywoods

Yeah, I have a wireless remote control system still under development on my WM LT40. What's holding me up right now is getting a homebuilt auto-clutch working. Head up, head down, arm in and arm out are fully functional. I have all the stuff needed, just too many other things going on. It uses an infared control. The remote control head looks like a tv remote, fits in my shirt pocket. It's 12 channels, the outputs are all relays, so it's fairly easy to interface to the mill. Cost about $70 in kit form. Available fully assembled and tested for a few bucks more, which I recommend. The kit is a real booger, even for experienced electronics types.

www.electronics.com

I have no connection with this firm, other than being a satisfied customer.

BTW, they have bunches of other goodies too, dc motor speed controllers, stepper motor controllers etc.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

StorminN

pineywoods,

Do you have a more specific link?

Thanks,
-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Radar67

Here are a couple of pictures of what it looks like...

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

cheyenne

That is a great idea. My only question is which channel gets NASCAR. Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

pineywoods

Quote from: cheyenne on September 10, 2008, 07:55:52 PM
That is a great idea. My only question is which channel gets NASCAR. Cheyenne

The one that goes fast forward while the backstops are still up  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

schmism

ramsey (of like the winches) makes a wireless remote control add on for your winch

OFFSITE IMAGES NOT ALLOWED PLEASE READ FORUM RULES

all it does is take the in/out remote signal and activate a relay that closes the right contact as if you were holding a wired remote in your hand.

should be a simple addition to run a larger relay for a 12v motor.
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

StorminN

schmism,

Surplus Center has had some like that for sale lately...

3 Channel wireless remote, $49

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

ladylake

I had a wireless remote to operate my throttle for a while on my B20, it worked good but those small buttons were hard to run with gloves on. I found a 6 wire industrial cordreel which I use to run the setworks (which always work now) a remote trottle run with a toggle switch and a power up and down log dog. After having a remote throttle it's one thing I wouldn't be without anymore.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

pineywoods

I posted a bad link for the source for remote controllers
Here's 2 places that have them.  www.electronics123.com 
www.electronickits.com

pineywoods

OK, finally here is the full skinny on my wireless remote control on my manual WM LT40.

I used a 12 channel infra-red controller from www.electronickits.com. cost about $80 fully assembled. Available in kit form a little cheaper, but don't... Mounted on a sheet metal bracket screwed to the top of the control box.

closeup of the control board

The actual sensor is inside that round piece of cardboard tubing. Did that to cut down on the field of view.

Here's the back side

Looks complex but really isn't. 5 heavy relays to handle the current requirements of the mill electric motors. The output relays on the remote control board are only good for 10 amps, so  use them to actuate a bigger relay that controls the motors.

Here's the remote, fits in a shirt pocket

Button 3 raises the saw head
Button 4 moves blade guide in
Button 6 moves blade guide out
Button 9 is carriage forward
Button 10 is for autoclutch (more on this later)
button 12 is carriage back
button 14 resets everything (panic button ;D)
Everything else is available for whatever goodies I might think up.

Changes to the mill?? almost none..
One jumper wire on the up-down drum switch removed
Micro switch mounted on the side of the control box and a notch filed in the fwd/rev handle

This is just a safety interlock to prevent control box in fwd and remote in reverse mit sparkenflashin und fusenpopen.

Hole drilled in the bottom of the control box to feed wiring thru.

Look closely, I didn't have to drill a hole, there was one already there, rusted thru  ;D

That's all there is to it. All the original controls work just like they always did, manual over rides remote in case of conflict.

Cost....I had a well stocked junk box, but with all new parts this project wouldn't run much over $200

WH_Conley

Which button lowers sawhead?

Wouldn't do me any good anyway, my fingers are so big I would be doing three things at once anyway. :(
Bill

pineywoods

Quote from: WH_Conley on November 10, 2008, 10:39:14 PM
Which button lowers sawhead?

Wouldn't do me any good anyway, my fingers are so big I would be doing three things at once anyway. :(

I had button 1 wired for head down, never used it, so I took it off. One less thing to go wrong ;D

milling man

Quote from: ladylake on September 11, 2008, 06:01:20 AM
I had a wireless remote to operate my throttle for a while on my B20, it worked good but those small buttons were hard to run with gloves on. I found a 6 wire industrial cordreel which I use to run the setworks (which always work now) a remote trottle run with a toggle switch and a power up and down log dog. After having a remote throttle it's one thing I wouldn't be without anymore.  Steve

How did you hook the remote up? and where did you find the industrial cord? mine has been messing up ever since the warrenty ran out

pineywoods

I been informed if no pics, it didn't happen. So belatedly, here is a video of the wireless remote on my manual LT40 in operation. If it looks a little slow, that's because it was. Cuttin a big ole ERC that's been in my log pile for over a year. It's kinda hard. Now the dry cedar sawdust don't bother me much. But Oooohhh  for a setworks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFbKpEpFvck

Magicman

You got a lounge chair and a glass of lemonade ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!