iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw Blades - Who sends sample blades to try out?

Started by Ozarkian, March 27, 2012, 11:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozarkian

Does anybody know which bandsaw blade manufacturers will send out some blades to try out?  Would like to sample before ordering a whole box.  I have received some from Wood-Mizer already and was quite impressed in comparison to the Timber-wolf blades I had been using.  I did not expect a huge difference, but there definitely was a noticeable one.  I'd like to see what the other brands have available before I spend a few hundred bucks on a box.

Any suggestions?
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Chuck White

Cook's sawmill company (A Forestry Forum sponsor) sent out a bunch of free samples for people to try not too long ago.

The companies do this because they want feedback from the customers, on how the blades worked for them.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ozarkian

I did call them and asked if they would send a sample band to try before purchasing, and the nice lady I spoke with politely said not at this time.  She did say I could purchase as many or few bands that I want if I wanted to purchase just one or two.  Some of the feedback on other posts read highly about the bands, so I will maybe purchase one or two eventually when my bands I have now are used up. 
Any other bands recommended for use on a EZ Boardwalk Jr?  Have a bunch of oak logs I am going to be tackling here soon. Thanks, Ozarkian.
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Overlength

I just ordered some Woodmizer 4 degree super hards to try on my White Oak. Sounds like these might work best for White Oak from what I've been reading on the forum here. Will have in two days. If there is something else also suggested would try. Also bought a blade alignment tool while I was at it. 
Woodmizer LT30, Solar Kiln 400 bf

Kansas

Try timberwolf. They will send you a good catalog that talks about blades and cutting problems. Probably a free blade or two. They know blades. Tell them what you are cutting. You are likely to get an education.

I should have added.. thats Suffolk Machinery

hackberry jake

Timberwolf bands sure can take a lot of sharpenings, I'll vouch for that
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Okrafarmer

I might need to try some different ones too, optimized for hardwood.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bscoty

I bought blades from lenox and sawblade.com. I learned something talking to them.
A foolish man argues, but a wise man listen

Berggie

Cooks sent them out no questions but Woodmiser will only give me half off, I h ave to talk to Suffolk next.
Home built/modified Linn 1900, Dolmar saw, farmall H with loader. Log rite.

Chuck White

Sometimes "free" blades are a new design, and the company wants people (potential customers) to try them as part of the companies R&D.  Sometimes the object of giving out free blades is to expand the companies selling territory.

After trying the "free" blades, the customer is usually asked to provide feedback to the company.  Sometimes they're good and sometimes the blades need a little changing!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

You have to realize what a dead expense it is for companies to just send out free blades to everyone that asks for them.  They are justified in asking for something in return for their investment.

I wonder how many other industries are willing to sent out a $20 sample of their product  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!