iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porch Decking & Overloaded Trailer

Started by Magicman, March 13, 2024, 05:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resonator

When I grow up I want to be like Magic Man! ffsmiley
When you build something yourself, you know how it was built, no cuttin' corners. :thumbsup:
(Except on all that diagonal part). :wink_2:
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

IMG_5411~0.JPG
The second tier is floored so I'll count it as a success.  ffsmiley   So now I am removing the flooring from the final tier.  Although it is the smallest, it will be more difficult because I will be reducing the size which will take additional time.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

Looks great!...   I mean bout time!  :usa:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

IMG_5422.JPG
The odd shaped 9X12 lower tier as it is now.
IMG_5424~0.JPG
The right hand portion with the decking removed will be removed.  The finished lower tier will be a 9X9 kinda trapezoid with the near corner removed for the steps as seen above.

Gotta be careful with that rotten deck to keep PatD from stepping through.....again.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

Could just tack some old license plates over the holes to keep a "rustic" look.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

Yup, that might work except there is nothing to tack to. 

Looks like I did not do much today but there is so much left to do.  I did get the right side where the green paint was yesterday cut off and squared up.  I also used the HiLift jack to remove two piers and I will have to add two in the correct places to replace them.  Tomorrow I will tie the near right corner in and hopefully lay some if not all of the 2X6 decking to the lower tier.  Gotta build new steps.

The tree service guy came by this afternoon and gave me a price on removing the Red and Post Oak trees.  I am needing the Post Oak logs to supply the material for my new railing. 

The forecast is for some rain tonight and clear tomorrow, so maybe I can keep on keeping on with this project.

Magicman

It does not look like I did much but I put in a hard day.  Nothing that strenuous, just continuous.  Thankfully again there is negligible structural damage nor rot but I did have an instance of termite infiltration on the steps and the rim joist above the steps.  IMG_5444.JPG I will rebuild the steps and replace that joist next. 

The three boards on the left are not attached and are serving as my walk boards.

The weather forecast shows rain Monday afternoon and gone by Tuesday morning so maybe I can soon finish this project.

JD Guy

MM You're making me feel guilty  ffcheesy Guess I need to get off my *** and get mine done 
before full blown summer gets here!

Magicman

For now I have put the sawmill and sawing jobs on idle until I finish this.  I am telling folks that I am on a job, and I am.  I will have the deck done before Easter but it will not have railing nor a roof yet.

Magicman

I made nice progress on da steps today between other interruptions. 

I should finish flooring the deck tomorrow.   :thumbsup:  

Bill Gaiche

I bought decking materials last week and found the quality was poor compared to years ago. I went with the premium stuff in order to having fewer knots. bg

doc henderson

magic I wish I lived closer.  I bet you are a lot of fun to build a deck with.  I might even learn a thing or two!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I initially wanted to use White Oak but I did/do not have a source so hence the option to use the normal 5/4 X6 or 2X6's.  The 5/4 was mostly pith wood with wide growth rings so poor quality.  The 2X6's are all #2 side lumber with much tighter grain.  Since I got the "contractor's" price, the 2X6's were the same price as the 5/4 would have been.

When unloading I was concerned about maybe it was from bug killed trees with open knots but this concern has proven to be a non issue.  Only one tier used full 12' boards while the other two tiers have shorter sections plus the steps so I have been able to work around and still utilize the two boards that would have otherwise been unacceptable.

My railing is still standing in tree form, so no railing for now.  Since I began this rebuild project I have also decided that it will be completely covered with a roof so this deck will become a porch.
DSCN0456
Good Morning Bill, it's good to see your smiling face.  Bill is one of the FF members that has actually seen this deck and we have had the pleasure of feeding him several times. ffsmiley  He is seen above in the center between Paul Case on the left and our late FF member wwsjr (Willie Steele) on the right.

This morning's rain should be gone by 10:00, so I can get back to work.

Magicman

After the rain moved out and even with the interruptions I still managed to finish the steps and whatever else needed to be done before the decking can go down on this lower tier.
IMG_5458.JPG
I'll paint the CopperCoat on the joists and nail-um-down in the morning.  I am looking forward to laying this little project in my taillights.

One thing that has not been settled/decided yet is the skirting.  I just know that it will not be wood because I had a few instances of termite intrusion before with the Cherry skirting.  Maybe some kind of mobile home skirting ??

doc henderson

or aluminum soffit.  or foe brick board to match the house.

Magicman

I have taken pictures of the brick, both in the shade and sunlight, to try to match whatever needs matching.

Magicman

I done did it or maybe did done it:
IMG_5484.JPG
The lower tier is complete.

IMG_5483.JPG
A different view showing the three deck tiers.

IMG_5486~0.JPG
The three tiers plus the step up onto the porch. 

So railing, skirting, and a roof is next.  I have two metal roof contractors coming tomorrow; one tomorrow morning and the other tomorrow afternoon.

Old Greenhorn

You done did! ffwave Looks great Lynn! I like the design too, even that was established a while back. Now you can enjoy it, between sawing jobs. ffcheesy ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Thanks Tom, yup over 20 years and maybe I am finally getting it right.  At least I know that it will outlast me.  ffwave

61 is coming.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, I noticed that '61' thing, what is that all about? Did I miss something?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

I was wondering too.  I think y'all been married longer than "61" years.  as I recall you left home, and you and Miss pat ran off and got married fairly young.

Resonator

Early congrats to the love birds on their anniversary. :wink_2:
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Southside

Iffin you put up skirting where will your hound dogs lie?  ffcheesy
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

If it is short shirting, be sure to put hose under there. ffcheesy

Magicman

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 27, 2024, 08:05:53 PMYeah, I noticed that '61' thing, what is that all about? Did I miss something?
61 ain't here yet but it's coming.  ffsmiley

Thank You Sponsors!