iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Patio cover

Started by Slong1958, January 05, 2020, 08:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slong1958

I'm getting ready to add a Lean to type patio cover to my house and I'm needing some info. The cover is going to be built out of  rough cut cypress and it measures 20x18 with a tin roof. It's going to be and open rafter build but I'm beginning to worry about the heat from the tin making to to hot in the summer to sit under. I'm  considering adding 1" tongue and grove on top of the 2x8 rafters to help with heat but I have questions. What's the beat way to do this. Here's what I'm thinking, get structure built then add TG on top of rafters with ice and rain shield then purlins then tin.  Please all info would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks 

Don P

That would work. The ice & water is probably overkill but it won't hurt a thing. The metal color makes a big difference as well, there are also more reflective paint mixes within the colors for rejecting heat, the metal supplier can help there.

Slong1958

Thanks for the reply. The reason for the ice and water shield is if the roof happens to leak and from  condensation from the tin. 

Slong1958

I know what I'm about to say and ask may sound crazy but the older I get the more I seem to worry. I'm adding a timber frame patio cover built out of cypress to the back of my house but I'm worried about leaving the wood exposed to the elements. It seems like just when it gets dry enough so I can get my tractor in the back yard it will rain for  2 of 3 days. I've got and  opportunity this week to maybe get the posts sat before it starts raining Thursday and there saying it could rain for 3 to 4 days est 5 to 6 inches. What's everyone's thoughts on this? 

Jeff

No reason to start a new topic on the same structure. Topics merged.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

florida

I'd add an inch or so of foam in there somewhere, maybe under the tin. The radiant heat under a metal roof can be brutal. We ended up putting foam between the rafters in the barn. Walking under one of the uninsulated spots is like walking under a heater.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Bruce_Gordon

Foil-backed foam might be less susceptible to deterioration from radiant heat.
Loud chainsaws inspire respect enough while cutting limbs to keep one's own.

Slong1958

Slong1958

gspren

On my metal roofed pole building for equipment storage I have a white roof while on my open sided woodshed I have a dark green roof and there is a difference in heat radiated down, that's the result I wanted for both. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Slong1958

Just about done all I need is contrete and stain.
What's the best stain to use on cypress?

Thank You Sponsors!