iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 400

Started by ehp, January 01, 2021, 06:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

been cutting fairly good size hardwood lately with the 400 , lots in the 30 to 40 inch on the stump and mostly oak , The 400 does good as long as you keep it sharp as it does not have the torque to pull a dull chain 

Tacotodd

Unfortunately those Cannon bars are pricey in the USA, and I can only imagine how expensive the light weight version is. Regular Oregon compared to regular Cannon, the Cannon is about 2x the price. Light version of Oregon is about 2x the price of regular and I can only imagine how much that lightweight version of the Cannon will be :embarassed:
Trying harder everyday.

Greenhighlander

Quote from: Tacotodd on November 30, 2021, 10:32:41 AM
Unfortunately those Cannon bars are pricey in the USA, and I can only imagine how expensive the light weight version is. Regular Oregon compared to regular Cannon, the Cannon is about 2x the price. Light version of Oregon is about 2x the price of regular and I can only imagine how much that lightweight version of the Cannon will be :embarassed:
Canon bars are worth every penny IMHO The price difference seems to be more then made up for with the durability , life span , and customer service.  
I am actually surprised they are only double an Oregon

Also just want to thank everyone for the 400 info shared in this thread. I really appreciate it 

Tacotodd

@Greenhighlander I was just going off of the prices that I have in my PRINTED Madsens catalog of 2019. I don't have any idea what the current price structure is ???
Trying harder everyday.

barbender

I know what would immediately happen if I sprung the extra coin for a Cannon bar. See my user name😁
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

if you cannot get the light weight stihl bar the stihl E bar is ok to use as well, it does not have the replaceable tip but unless you pinch the tip bad you should not have tip trouble , I find the time the tip is worn out the bar rails are worn out as well and those E bars are about half the cost of the light weight bar and are lighter than the ES bars

Tacotodd

@ehp that's very good information to know. I didn't even think about that :o Oh the humanity! Ugh :( ;D :D
Trying harder everyday.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Tacotodd on November 30, 2021, 02:21:36 PM
@Greenhighlander I was just going off of the prices that I have in my PRINTED Madsens catalog of 2019. I don't have any idea what the current price structure is ???
Guys, when I was on the phone with them (Madsens) an order or two ago my sales guy said they have had trouble getting catalogs printed, but they try to update the online (PDF) catalog on a regular basis. He also noted that they have no control of the jumping prices so their current prices rely on the cost of the latest shipment, which, he said, seems to change with every shipment. >:( He was very good about checking stock and the current price on each item I ordered. I do like doing business with those folks because when you ask any questions about what you are buying they really know their stuff, at least that is my experience. I wish they were sponsors here, that would be really nice.
 There are several things in the 2019 catalog that are no longer available so call them or check the online catalog first.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Tacotodd

That's also why I was specific about that cat and the time frame that it was all about. After all, I can only control me (sometimes :D). Tom, you know that's how "I" roll ::). After all, we met face to face at the pig roast and I had your phone number from it. I even stored it and kept it. Now if I can just figure out how to keep such things. Oh well, school is in session SOMEWHERE :P tech inept that I am and my equipment too (Doohhg!).
Trying harder everyday.

421Altered

Went to my local Stihl dealer to pick up some items I had ordered.  While waiting I checked out the eye candy on the wall.  They had 3 ms 400's!!  First one's I have seen,of course, I picked it up and man is it light!  I'll have to wait awhile for one, maybe we'll get another stimulus check!! LOL

sawguy21

I too am amazed at the light weight, sure would like tto try one if I had a use for it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ehp

one of the farmers I look after his farms ask me to go up a few walnut and cherry and 8 cottonwood , cottonwood are all in the 35 inch to 40 inch on the stump, and I took the 400 , I got the first cottonwood on the ground but then went with the 500i, the cottonwood was so full of water it was making the chain stick in the bar , even the 500i was having abit of trouble but it all done

so il logger

Quote from: ehp on November 29, 2021, 09:56:26 AM
I see alot of dealers here now have a single 500i in stock but no light weight bars that are to be sold with the saw and no one has any ms 400 in stock here
Saws are scarce here, never seen a 400. My 500i's do not feel right with a regular weight bar so i have been running nothing but stihl lights. Now it seems we have a bar shortage as well, light bars are backordered at stihl dealers i been in. Cannon rep says 12 months wait on bars. A friend in california found a couple and shipped them. Buckle up, this may get interesting

ehp

there has been no light weight bars here for quite sometime unless a dealer had it in stock from before , Oregon makes a light weight bar to fit the stihls but I have not used one yet , I got some of them just have not ran them, I bought 4 more stihl E bars today , I run them on the landing saw as the sand kills a bar pretty fast and I get about the same length of time out of a E bar as a ES bar on the landing , Any of the new 462 or 500i you buy now have a normal ES bar on them here 

Greenhighlander

Quote from: barbender on November 30, 2021, 03:12:14 PM
I know what would immediately happen if I sprung the extra coin for a Cannon bar. See my user name😁
I would be amazed at anyone being able to bend one of their superbars .  I can't even imagine how much effort it would take to bend it trying to bend it .  I doubt it could be bent with use on a saw.  

ehp

Oh you would be surprised.  I have seen guys bend stuff  that not possible to bend .  Most times it's guys trying to fall double trees out of 1 stump   one tree goes one direction and the other goes the other way 

sawguy21

Some guys can break a steel ball with a rubber hammer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ehp

I seen a cutter bring out his saw and it was the bar bent in 10 different directions and the part of the bar cover that the bar studs go thru to hold the bar to the crankcase and it had the piece of the crankcase with the 2 bar studs still attached to the bar . Just that small piece . Nothing else of the saw and when I tell you it got smashed I mean it got smashed to pretty much nothing 

barbender

Clump hardwoods are also a great spot to bend harvester bars. As for the Cannon bars, I've never even seen one in person but they are just made out of steel. I can bend steel😂

Woodfarmer

What is the going price for the 400 now?

johnsayen

900ish with a 20-25" bar

ehp

Can you find one is the bigger question. I think list price here is in the 11 hundred range in ontario so fair bit cheaper than a 462

mrselfreliance

Well, since I ran over my 261 yesterday.... Time to try and find a 400!  Wish me luck.... In N.B Canada, if anyone knows of any dealers that have one close.

barbender

Bummer on the 261!

chep

Monday morning i bought a 400.
Loving it so far. Not in big wood but am in hemlock with lots of limbs. Some spruce to. Fast saw. Snappy. Prob have a bout 15 tanks thru it so far. Tank is smaller then im used to on the 461. Started carrying my go jugs so i can get more distance/wood cut.  from my cans
Exhaust is starting to turn purple so hope its just gonna get better. Ordered a bark box so excited about that to!  8)

Thank You Sponsors!