iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Festool HK85 vs Mafell KSS80

Started by kikunak, August 24, 2021, 07:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kikunak

Hello!
Its my first thread, and I am sorry for my English.
I want to buy my first saw and choosing between Festool HK85 and Mafell KSS80 for making tenons and other purposes.
In Russia Mafell KSS80 is about 40% more expensive than Festool HK85. But now Festool is not available and it is necessary to wait till the end of September. What is better? Does Mafell have such advantages that its price is justified by 40% more? Or its better to wait and buy Festool?

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 
Nothing wrong with your English. It is quite understandable. 

Expect you will get some helpful suggestions from the Forum members.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kikunak

I have bought Mafell. What disk (blade) can you recommend for making tenons: 24 tooth or 56 tooth? The saw is equipped with 12 tooth disk for longitudinal sawing. I will use the saw for crosscuts and cuts up to 45 degrees. They are expensive and I don't want to buy both. 

CJ

Congratulations on the purchase. A really good saw and you won't be disappointed. You can't substitute price for quality. 
So, you want to get another blade for cutting crosscuts and 45's. I'd go with the 56 myself because its good for both applications and it's clean enough for finishing purposes; and what I mean by that is, you won't be using it for cabinet making where you would be better off with an 80 tooth blade. I think that 24 would work if you were in a bind and there was nothing else to choose from, but 56 tooth is middle of the road. Hope that helps? Cheers!

kikunak

I have tried to saw beams crosscut and I think I made a mistake choosing the saw.
Mafell is more expensive as Festool, so I expected, that it will be precise as Festool and more durable.

There is a very little gap between the bottom of the saw and the rail (on any saw). On Mafell you can do nothing. And on Festool HK 85 you can turn the screws to compensate the gap.
It is not a problem in timber framing, but it's a problem in cabinetmaking. I think the saw has a little mistake due to the gap. So Mafell is not so precise as Festool.
Now the cut with 56 tooth is very clean for cabinetmaking, beacause the disk is new. 

Thank You Sponsors!