iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of joint for wall girt?

Started by Chantal, May 22, 2022, 11:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chantal

Hi,
I'm a newbie attempting to build a timber frame woodshed.  I have been searching the net for days now without finding a solution and hope it's ok to post here.

I am stuck at a point where I must decide how I am going to connect the bents together with the wall girts (if that is the right term).  I have decided to scribe the posts onto boulders, each secured with a central rebar. I am going to lift the bents onto the rebar/boulders and brace them until I can tie them together with the wall girts.  Now my problem is that once the bents are set, there is no wiggling them around.  What kind of joint can I use to connect the bents?  Does that question make sense?

Jim_Rogers

Normally we connect the bent at the top of the posts with a one piece timber called a plate.
However, you can put in timbers between the bottom of the post and the top of the posts which some people do call girts.
There are several different ways to connect them:

From the top down the easiest three are done after the bents are raised. And the timbers can be cut to length based on the exact distance between bents for a good fit.

Simply secured with a timber screw which would be hidden from view by the siding is also a way to hold them in place.

Good luck with your project.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chantal

Thank you, Jim.  I appreciate your help.

Thank You Sponsors!