iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cabin Pointers.

Started by Scott, November 16, 2003, 03:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Hello. Me and 3 friends recently started building a 12x20 log cabin. We have acess to lots of 12 to 16 inch spruce and cedar logs. One guy has a massey ferguson 231 tractor for skidding and lifting. We're using the regular tools like axes and chainsaws and things seem to be going ok so far. I'm interested in any tips you guys might have for us. thanks a lot.
I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

Don P

Let's see, Just because you can get your arms around it doesn't mean you should lift it. Keep the crew out of the cooler till quittin time, stock up on band-aids and Ben-Gay. ;D  Watcha need to know? I'm most familiar with milled logs but I'm sure we can round up some of the handcrafters too.  What notch are you using, are you planning on a chink or chinkless cabin? Pics would help  8)

Scott

I'm not sure about the type of notch, its just a standard square one. We only have 3 rises of logs on so far and everything is fitting in pretty snug. This is our first go at a cabin so we don't really know what to expect. The guy who is basically in charge plans to cut the door (and windows) out later this doesn't sound like a great idea to me. We're going to be putting in full days saturday and sunday.

Don P

Running through openings isn't necessarily bad, costly maybe,  but not a bad thing. It can help to line the walls during construction. I've passed a few rows through large openings just to keep things straight while working. I'm too lazy to want to cut 'em all in place, but its done.
I can't visualize your project well enough to be of much help, put up some pics when you get a chance. Think about shedding water while you work, always try to use gravity first and sealants as a backup, drip edges not water ledges. Sounds like your going to get OJT this weekend, the main thing is play safe, enjoy the company, save enough energy for the after work bonfire  ;D.

Don P

I visited this cabin today. It was built about 8 years ago out of timber tipped over during hurricane Hugo. Roughly notched, wire lath and mortar chink, nothing fancy but I sure do like it. Just some guys making a pout house from otherwise ruined timber. Guess I like 'em all  :)

Gus had mentioned adequately sizing log joists, I do have a calculator made up for round timber, it uses formulas from "Log Span Tables" Mackie, Read, Hahney.
 For a 12' span in SPF I came up with a 7" midspan diameter joist on 2' centers using the calc. Looked it up in the tables in the book and it jumps in 2" dia increments...a 6" could go 10.5' an 8" can go 15.3'...so a 7" seems to be about right.
https://forestryforum.com/members/donp/LogBeamCalculator.htm

Scott

Nice looking place. Some tricky log work in the upper part. We worked on the cabin on sunday and its going pretty well. The posts are comming out this weekend and we're going to use something a little more sturdy. The walls are probably up around lower chest level. i guess we're just putting a flat roof on for winter and in the spring we'll put up some trusses.

Don P

Don't worry those are just boards in the gables. That leads to a pointer tho'
Imagine a stack of green logs making up the triangular gable and a roof attached to them. Now imagine that roof attached as well to trusses further back inside. Now imagine what happens as the logs shrink and the trusses don't :o. There are ways to work around that, but the easiest, and most traditional is some form of board, slab, or shake gable on a frame. Then all the components up there act similar.

Thank You Sponsors!