iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame using modern connections

Started by slowzuki, November 13, 2003, 09:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowzuki

Anyone have experience here using modern connections instead of tradional mortise and tenons?

I have welders/plasma-cutters/torches at my disposal and would like to prefabricate the connections for the posts and beams out of an appropriate thickness steel.

This way I can use basic cuts on the timbers to frame the shop, then drill and bolt the connections.

I have read about people taking months and years chiseling the pockets etc to make a traditional frame.  I like to look at them but I have no interest in them for my own use.

Any comments?
Ken

Jim_Rogers

The type of construction that you are referring to is called Post and Beam construction using heavy timbers.
Heavy timbers are any timber over 5"x 5" any length.
I'm currently reading a book called Timber Construction for Architects and Builders which you can get from the TFG (Timber Framers Guild) online store for $70.00.
In this book there are several chapters about using steel plates and bolts to construct building of all sizes and types.
What I've got from what I've read is that you can't just slap a plate on the end of a beam, bore some holes threw and connect it to another, say a post, without first doing a little figuring has to the actual bolt locations and sizes.
Putting it together wrong will result in failure of the timber, regardless of how good the steel plate and bolts are.
More bolts or bigger bolts doesn't always make it better.
Location of the bolts is very important to transferring the load from one timber to the other.
My suggestion to you is to do some reading or get someone who has experience and knowledge in this type of construction to help you.
Good luck with your project.
Jim
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

BrianSimmons

There is some software at http://www.woodworks-software.com/ that will show you how to bolt up and design these connections. You enter in the data and it presents you with the rest.
Here is a screen shot:

Software purchase price is $695 but you can download a functional demo.

slowzuki

Thank-you for the replies, no wonder I couldn't find the info when searching for just post and beam construction.

I'm a mechanical engineer so I definately understand the importance of connection details, but I have not experience in wood!

I'll check out the software.
Ken

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

slowzuki

It is nice to be able to purchase the socket systems stuff but I think at those prices I will make my own!!!  I guess I'm just a cheap scot!

I found the timebr framing code in Canada with a reference book for a good price, I think it will turn out to be a wise investment!
Ken

Thank You Sponsors!