iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mafell mortiser

Started by nicolas, July 04, 2011, 01:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicolas

Thank you all for your replies, I learned a lot. Jim what is a TFG conference about? I am off to the old world, I guess we will see if I find some tools over there, now that I know most of them will work here. Oakwright you are doing some amazing work, you are a lucky guy.
Nicolas
www.virginiastructurecraft.com

Brad_bb

Jim sells good stuff.  I've never been disappointed.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

dukndog

I second that Brad_bb!!!
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for your kind comments about our tools.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

krusty

Hummm I would want to take any comment from such an electrical teacher with a grain of salt....240 V in North America is still 120 V to ground with each 120V wire out of phase with the other. So if you grabbed 1 of the hot 240V wires with your bare hand and bare feet it would only be 120V through your body. Now if you grabbed each phase of the 240V one in each hand well then you really would have 240V in your  body but most people get shocked through the ground connection. Plus it is really current that kills not voltage and the better ground rod you are...well 50V could kill you.

BTW interesting comments on the mortisers....as I always thought the makita was inferior and would like to do a side by side comparison! For now I will stick to my 2" Milwaukee bit in a drill and my boring machine when the drill is just too noisy :)

shelbycharger400

I don't have the knowledge to answer that really, our 110 Volts are made up of 55 V & 55 V as a result of the secondary of the isolating transformer being center tapped to Earth / Ground.  I suppose the thinking is that when you get exposed to a live cable the shock is going to be 55V.  Its very universal here in the UK, broadly speaking all pro tools are 110V and all Home-owner DIY are 240V.

not true... 110  is 110, it dosnt split...   it alternates back and forth ON both leads. here in us...at 60 hz    the center tapped to ground...is neutral.

krusty...   the comment came from a licenced electrician.  cant remember what his name was..    yes..your right about the 2 phases of 240..  2 leads of 120.       i cant remember how the instance occurs...  that you wind up getting full voltage through you...     but i do know that current code is now 4 wire 240   vrs old 3 wire 240.  new stoves and dryers comming that way now.   basically 2 ground sources now.

I will dig through my elect stuff.   at a threshold of a certain voltage...  current or amps as we know it.. nolonger matters.
certain voltage...with low amp  will kill you dead.    i think it was 480..

do know... 240... way better/ in the aspect that it uses less amps,  less watts...  (which our meters nearly spin off the wall) cheaper to run, and will cold start a 2 stage air compressor at 30 below... wheras   110 wouldnt even start on the single stage.. so that got rewired for 220.

Thank You Sponsors!