iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drywall over these log walls?

Started by Piston, July 08, 2016, 06:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

My wife would like to add drywall to a couple walls if we end up buying a log home we are (most likely) buying.

The house was built 28 years ago so I assume most settling is done, but I don't know how much the walls expand/contract throughout the year? 

Would I be able to add drywall to the gable end wall and the side wall to the left in these photos, or would drywall simply crack?

The logs are d shape.

Is there a standard procedure for adding drywall or something similar?  She wants to break up the all wood look.

I assume I'm safe doing drywall over the interior walls (standard construction)?

Thanks guys,
Matt
Edit: trying to post from my iPhone but having trouble with the pics.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Piston

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

sprucebunny

If it was me, I'd strap it and put ¾" foam board between the strapping that way you can be pretty sure it won't move and you add a little insulation. You'll have to fur out the window trim.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

LeeB

I like that door. I also like it the way it is. I'd be hard put to cover it up with sheet rock. But I also understand that if momma ain't happy poppa ain't going to be happy.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

D L Bahler

Apply vertical straps across the logs secured in such a way to account for movement.  A simple method is to secure them with nails or screws in the center, then use trim pieces on the top and bottom to secure the ends. Depending on the wood species and your climate, you might want to allow for an inch or more of movement. Also your local climate will determine whether it is expanded most in mid summer or winter.

I often secure straps to the top of the walls, and then hold them back with sliding joints lower down. Then I apply the drywall or whatever covering butted at the top and leave a 2 inch gap on the bottom. Baseboard is then fastened on the bottom, secured to the wall but not to the drywall, allowing the drywall to move up and down with the logs. This keeps the drywall tight at all times up top, and hides the expansion zone at the bottom.

barbender

The people that have stick framed houses and drywall are trying to make them look like log houses, the people with log houses are covering them up with drywall... :)

The advice already given is good- attach vertical furring strips with screws through slots cut in the furring so it can absorb some movement.  The logs are likely done settling, but they will never quit moving, so you don't want drywall attached directly to the logs.
Too many irons in the fire

sprucebunny

And I'm back to add that you should probably put a vapor barrier under the sheetrock.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

VictorH

Another option -if breaking up the wood look is the only reason, would be to paint the log walls.  Just a thought.

Victor

Chop Shop

Tell here it will never work.  NEVER.

Please dont molest that beautiful house with nasty gypsum.  Please.

Piston

Thanks for some great advice so far, and additional ideas. We are sleeping in the house tonight and she is thinking twice about the drywall on any exterior log walls.

Barbender, your right about people wanting to change the natural look of their houses!  We actually don't love log homes as a first option, but due to circumstances we are probably buying this one. We always dreamed of a timber framed home but the log home is second best I suppose. I am one of those that prefer to have no drywall but at the end of the day I care more about the land I "play" on more so than the house I sleep in.

As I lay here typing this we are looking up at the beams and wood ceiling and she is much more open to not covering any of it up. Probably because I didn't pose the idea  :D

I certainly picture a nice large Woodstock stove sitting in the fireplace though!
-Matt

rjwoelk

Quote from: sprucebunny on July 08, 2016, 05:26:47 PM
And I'm back to add that you should probably put a vapor barrier under the sheetrock.
[/quote
No your logs are  a vapour barrier unless they are leaking air.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

rjwoelk

We are building a log cabin, and the interior walls and ceiling are drywall but will probably add some other covering to the walls, sometimes its too much wood. for some peoples taste. ;)
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Piston

After spending many hours staring at the walls and discussing what we want to do, I think we (for now) agreed on leaving all the log walls just the way they are, but putting drywall over all the interior walls both upstairs and downstairs. There is currently T&G pine boards which I'll probably remove so I can insulate a few of the walls and drywall over with 5/8 drywall for better sound blocking.

The bedroom we will use as master is downstairs and next to the large fireplace, so will likely get warm in the winters, whereas we like it cold for sleeping, so the insulation should help there.

Most likely won't be buying until the fall/winter so we have a lot of time to think.
-Matt

petefrom bearswamp

Did this in our former house lived in for 15 years with no probs.
Used furring strips over the logs then drywall.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

dean herring

X2 chop shop
We live in log house and I love the log walls
Jmho no sheet rock
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

rjwoelk

How thick are the log walls. Are you getting any air leaks. Our logs are 8 inches thick, get about a 5 degree change over night. Dont paint you will screw up the logs get stain from permachink, water based easy clean up, they have different colors.

Piston

Quote from: rjwoelk on July 10, 2016, 08:56:29 PM
How thick are the log walls. Are you getting any air leaks. Our logs are 8 inches thick, get about a 5 degree change over night. Dont paint you will screw up the logs get stain from permachink, water based easy clean up, they have different colors.

8" logs and not sure about air leaks.
-Matt

Piston

Well, after spending a few nights in the house here and there, I think we've decided against putting drywall over the log walls.  My wife still wants something to break up the all-wood look, while keeping it all wood.  We are thinking about trying a white wash for the bedroom walls, and see how it comes out.  If we don't like it, is this able to be sanded off, or is it basically soaked into the wood quite deeply? 

We do plan to sand down the logs on the interior to freshen them up, smooth them out, and get rid of some water stains from former water damage.  Seems like quite a bit of sanding  :o

We really want to lighten up the interior, it seems very dark in there even on a bright sunny day. 
-Matt

Ox

How about finding some old sheets at a second hand store and tacking them onto the walls, following the log contours?  Kind of shoot a staple at an angle through the sheet into the cracks to give you the look of what it would look like if you painted it.  It will give you a non-permanent way to try out the look you're wanting while being easy to change colors as well.  Beats spraying or painting anything on your log walls.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

rjwoelk

Logs need to breath do not seal them up with paint, use a stain water based. Check out permachink

ChugiakTinkerer

I second Ox's suggestion of trying it out with some white fabric.  It was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the last update.
Woodland Mills HM130

Piston

I did check out the permachink website and found a lot of good products.  Well, they seem like good products anyways  :D

I didn't realize they had so many different colors of interior stains. 
-Matt

sumday

Are you still planning on replacing the T&G on your interior walls with drywall? That will go a long way towards brightening things up.

Piston

Quote from: sumday on September 30, 2016, 07:08:17 AM
Are you still planning on replacing the T&G on your interior walls with drywall? That will go a long way towards brightening things up.

Yes we are, the interior will probably all become drywall.  Also we will probably do drywall in an upstairs loft to help brighten it and break it up of all wood.  I personally don't 'mind' the all wood look, but i'm not the one that matters, my wife is  :D

We may try some of the pigmented stain colors from permachink's website, she liked the 'newport' color which is a sort of gray, we will probably use this on the upstairs loft, and for the time being, just sand the outer walls and leave them natural for 'now'.  See how it looks after that. 
-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!