iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look out Maine!

Started by Norm, July 12, 2013, 07:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I finally get to knock off one of the last states I've never visited in September. I have always wanted to visit Maine and I rented a house on Deer Isle from the 7th-14th of September. It's right on the water and from what I can see via google earth looks like an awesome view. Not sure if any members are close to that area but if you are I plan on stuffing my self on fresh seafood until I burst. Come over and I'll feed you also.

Any suggestions on things to do other than chase the young lady I'm going with around the house is also welcome.  :D

whiskers

http://www.mainemaritimemuseum.org/

Just off US#1 at Bath, Maine past Bath Iron Works. When we go again it'll be for the day, was on someone else schedule last time....
many irons in the fire.........

Mooseherder

We're going to miss you by a week. :(
Bar Harbor and Mt Cadillac are close enough to go see.
You may be able to schedule an excursion with a Lobster boat for the day.
Or go down to the boats and buy right there.
They have some large Diver Scallops in that area as big as your hand. :)

thecfarm

Sounds like you are 3 hours from me. You can come up and see my operation.  :D I worked in Acadia Nat Park for 2 summers. It's a nice place to see. The Carriage Trails are nice and quiet. No motorized vehicles allowed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Watch out Ray you never know what I'll do for a free meal.... ;D

Due to me opening up a new business my trip got delayed until the 15th thru the 22nd. Can anyone tell me what to expect for weather that time of year?

thecfarm

I would pack clothes for 30° in the mornings,high noon 70's. MAYBE. Might be 50's all the time. I've seen it in the 70's all the time. Not common,but has happen. I forgot,you are down on the coast. Will be chilly each night. High noon 70's. MAYBE.  ;D
The free meal will be at Red Barn in Augusta. Deep fried chicken or sea food. It is some good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

how far from the deer isle bridge is this house? the bridge itself is a bit different its quite steep and crosses eggemoggin reach. your not really in tourist country on the island so practice talking downeast and wave to everybody. you might want to visit the wooden boat school. they also publish a magazine. they are brooklin. just a few miles away.blue hill is a nice little tourist town. closest bigger town is ellsworth.there is still a working granite quarry in stonington or on crotch island. my boat will be in the water at least till mid oct look me up and i will take you for a cruise. its on the dock in belfast. belfast is trying to became another camden. look up front street shipyard and see what the summer people float into town on. bar harbor everybody goes there and ride up the mountain in the park. any questions i can answer?       

Norm

Thanks snowstorm that's very nice of you. The house is on the west side of deer isle about half way down the main area on Buck and doe rd.

snowstorm

are you flying in to bangor? if you have the time try coles transportation museum. its pretty easy to find and they have a lot of things to look at. on your way to the island. you will cross the river to brewer an take rt15 south. that river is were the pevey was invented. just after passing the verso paper mill in bucksport, across the river is fort knox. sorry no gold. the fort should still be open. you can also go to the top of the new bridge . i believe its around 400' above the water

NWP

I would definitely recommend Acadia NP. My wife and I were there 2 years ago and have been ready to go back ever since.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Norm

Thanks guys, we are flying into Bangor but won't arrive until late in the day. I've been using google earth to ck out the area and can't wait to get there!

sandhills

Can't help any on the plans but hope you have a great trip, do you mind me asking what the new business is?

Norm

It's a company that provides contract counselors and therapists. I figure just in what I save it'll pay for itself.  :D

Jeff's doing the website after the pigroast so when it's live I'll put a link in the website announcement board.

sandhills

Thanks, you could probably just sign me up now too but lucky for me my sister in law is one :D.

Raider Bill

There used to be a place in Bangor called the airport inn. Had the best stuffed lobster I've ever eaten.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

snowstorm

norm if you can find the movie   islander    it was on direct tv again tonite.  the accents are fake along with a lot of it. but it was filmed on vinalhaven. it dose show what it looks like and has a bit on catching lobsters. no bridge to this island its one an a half hr on the ferry out of rockland. saw on the news lastnite they had the fishermens festival in stonington last week end. [same island your going to] and the lobster boat races were 2 weeks ago. i was busy and couldnt go. did see where the top speed this year was 72mph. to make a lobster boat go that fast it takes at least a 1000hp   

Thank You Sponsors!