iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Official MS261CM vs 550XP test

Started by HolmenTree, June 06, 2017, 10:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

I'm sorry to announce I have to end this "Official MS261CM vs 550XP test."
This evening I sold the Husqvarna 550XP  to a customer who needed it alot more them I do.
I upgraded it with a brand new Sandvik/Windsor Mini Pro bar....Just to make it look a little better. :D
I'm not stopping there as I'm selling off all my older Husqvarna's from 338XPT up to the 395XP.
I'm excited to go back solely to Stihl with a near future addition of the latest MS362CM and either the MS461 or MS462CM when it's available.

I was a little sorry to see the shiny very low hour 550XP go after all the trouble and warranty hassles with the first 550.

But it is time for myself and Stihl with their latest technology and super new models. The future looks bright.

Like my old business card laying on the invoice says from my 6 month stint with Stihl... in the big city way back in 1989.
I always was a "Man of Stihl." :)

More tests to come!

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

JJinAK

Willard:

I thought you did an excellent job on this thread.  I'm a Stihl guy, and admittedly don't know much about the Husky saws, but your coverage on both models was fantastic.  I appreciated the constant feedback and education.

I'm looking forward to your future 461 vs. 462 comparison, and your Fuel Injection Break-In Reports!  Ha.

Again- excellent job on this thread.

JaJ
MS461
MS362

Crusarius

I am not sure if you did an excellent job or not. I went from wanting to buy a $300 saw to wanting to buy something over $600. :)

Thanx for the thread it really has been great.

HolmenTree

Quote from: JJinAK on January 30, 2018, 12:59:34 PM
Willard:

I thought you did an excellent job on this thread.  I'm a Stihl guy, and admittedly don't know much about the Husky saws, but your coverage on both models was fantastic.  I appreciated the constant feedback and education.

I'm looking forward to your future 461 vs. 462 comparison, and your Fuel Injection Break-In Reports!  Ha.

Again- excellent job on this thread.

JaJ
Thanks JaJ, it sure was alot of fun doing it and I promise there's more to come.
Yes I can't wait until spring when this 4 feet of snow goes away and things thaw out.
Yes just saying the name MS462CM sure has a nice ring to it.
Now a MS500i fuel injected 80cc chainsaw really sounds interesting! :)

HolmenTree

Quote from: Crusarius on January 30, 2018, 01:04:01 PM
I am not sure if you did an excellent job or not. I went from wanting to buy a $300 saw to wanting to buy something over $600. :)

Thanx for the thread it really has been great.
Thanks Crusarius,  yes it was great doing the comparison. And it kept me motivated doing treework while working alone.
Yeah you'll appreciate the extra $300 you spent from the years of enjoyment that you'll get out of that saw. :)

Wow over 23,250 views on a 7 month old thread.

stanwelch

I too thank you for this thread. My 20+year old 026 started acting up in December and my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas. Without hesitation I said a new MS261CM  :) It is a sweet saw from my sweet wife 8)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

HolmenTree

Quote from: stanwelch on January 31, 2018, 03:02:27 PM
I too thank you for this thread. My 20+year old 026 started acting up in December and my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas. Without hesitation I said a new MS261CM  :) It is a sweet saw from my sweet wife 8)
You're welcome Stan, that worked out really good for you. Congratulations and enjoy your new saw.

20 years ago I split up with my common in law wife of 6 years for various reasons even though she had a good paying job.
One Christmas she gets me a brand new small saw setup with a carver b/c.
I thought to myself  "that was really nice of Judy to buy me that expensive little saw."....until 2 months later the dealer calls me and asks "Willard are you going to put some money down on that saw". :D
Another Christmas she gets me a new down filled parka, then I find she put it on my Sears card.
Anyways enough of that rant she's happy now she snagged a unsuspecting hotel owner, feel sorry for him  :D

So what I determined the problem the Husqvarna 550XP has is it was ergonomically over designed.
To make it more compact then the competition (MS261) they just didn't allow enough room under the top cover for cooling.
As the first picture shows, a couple of years ago Husqvarna added a oblong shaped hole in the top cover behind the top handle.
They were hoping this hole would release more cylinder heat, but unfortunately it didn't  help solve their hot start issues.
The MS261CM and 550XP are dead even weighing 10.8 lbs. each.
550XP at 3.75 h.p.
MS261CM 4 h.p.

PNWRusty

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 29, 2018, 08:32:50 PM
I'm sorry to announce I have to end this "Official MS261CM vs 550XP test."

I'm sad to see it go. Thanks for the fun and educational thread. Much appreciated!

As to whether or not it's a good thing that this thread has caused more than one person to buy a more expensive saw than planned, here's my take:

When I needed a 50cc saw for property maintenance and annual firewood cutting duty 21 years ago, I briefly considered cheaper saws but ended up going with the most expensive, a 1997 Stihl 026. I properly maintained and used the saw for over 20 years but never babied it. I often left gas in it for months at a time (89 octane w/10% ethanol and 50:1 Stihl Ultra synthetic oil). The saw has been 100% reliable with the exception of needing a new fuel pickup due to a split line. Other than that one simple repair the saw has started and run perfectly for 21 years under everything from arctic freezes to hot summer days. And it has always been a strong performer even when taxing it beyond it's intended purpose, running a 20" bar in big wood cutting big rounds non-stop in summer heat. I think it was $329 in 1997 which seemed like a lot of money back then. But, I can only imagine how much time and money this saw saved vs. the less expensive options. And the pleasure of having a saw that starts so reliably and runs so strong, well, how can you put a price on that?

My new 261CM shows every sign of being at least as reliable and that makes it a real value in my book. The fact that it has more torque and cuts a bit faster is just icing on the cake. I can fix just about anything, usually without spending much money, but I prefer to not have to. Once you cost the price of a new saw over 20 years the difference in initial purchase price of a cheaper saw becomes insignificant. And if the cheaper saw is less reliable, it becomes a poorer value at any price.

The point is, if this thread caused anyone to spend more money, I'm pretty sure that's a GOOD thing! Thanks HT!

Crusarius

it hurts when you buy it but every time you use it you say it was worth it. That is how my weedeater purchase was. bought a nice Stihl. never looked back.

HolmenTree

Great post PNWRusty thanks for sharing!
I still have a 066Mag Arctic-28" that I bought new 25 years ago. Still to this day it never had its cylinder removed. But upon a recent inspection its clutch side main crank bearing needs to be changed.
That saw for years has noodle split big oversize hardwood rounds first for firewood business then into my tree service.
Alaskan milled in the thousands of bf lumber.
My age is telling me now to run a MS661CM, so at 60 if I get 25 years out of it I'm doing pretty good.Hahaha.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Crusarius on February 02, 2018, 02:24:48 PM
it hurts when you buy it but every time you use it you say it was worth it. That is how my weedeater purchase was. bought a nice Stihl. never looked back.
Yes and service ftom your Stihl dealer makes a difference too.
Good post Crusarius.

teakwood

Excellent post PNWRusty!  I feel exactly the same way.

teakwood

Thanks for that very good topic on those two saws Willard, keep up the good work  smiley_thumbsup

barbender

I said before, I bought my first Stihl (ms261c) after having owned nothing but husky and Jred my whole life, because of this post and all the real world info on it. I'm only on my second tank of gas but I'm liking this little saw. It is torquey and from what every one tells me is only going to get better. I love a saw with good torque, I think they are less tiring and less dangerous to operate. I actually preferred my 2165 Jred to the 2171 Jred I replaced it with, for that reason. Torque. My 2171 is getting a little tired , and I'd lije to replace that with a torque machine, too. 576xp? 461? 462? I'm waiting for Willard's next test😉
Too many irons in the fire

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on February 04, 2018, 05:49:24 PM
Thanks for that very good topic on those two saws Willard, keep up the good work  smiley_thumbsup
Thanks teakwood, it was alot of fun doing it.
I'm interested to hear about the MS382 if you decide to buy one.

HolmenTree

Quote from: barbender on February 04, 2018, 08:36:23 PM
576xp? 461? 462? I'm waiting for Willard's next test😉
Thanks barbender.
I guess to make it a official test and I upgrade to lets say a MS462CM, I would have to buy another Husqvarna.  So I would have to make the decision on a 572XP????
But I think I'll be waiting a while until when ever they get introduced here in North America.

Meanwhile I'm cleaning up all my old Huskies and a few older Stihls too.
I have the 395XP and 272XP ready for a couple of customers to look at tomorrow.  Then it's onto the 372XP  562XP.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Crusarius

hmmm. I am heading to New york Farm show at the end of this month. I wonder what kind of a deal I can get on the 261 and a pair of chaps from there?

John Mc

Quote from: Crusarius on February 05, 2018, 07:42:11 AM
hmmm. I am heading to New york Farm show at the end of this month. I wonder what kind of a deal I can get on the 261 and a pair of chaps from there?

I got some great deals on chaps and other smaller purchases a few years ago at the VT Logging Expo several years ago: show up on the last day, when everyone is thinking about packing things up. Sometimes they'll cut a deal to avoid packing things up.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Crusarius

That used to be the case but in the last few years I notice that happening less and less. Unfortunately Stihl trailer is at the show but its just for showing stuff. if you want to buy something the sales guys say come by my store I will beat all these prices. Kind of a pain but we will see what happens.

I do prefer to buy it from a local place so I have local support.

teakwood

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 04, 2018, 09:57:20 PM
Quote from: teakwood on February 04, 2018, 05:49:24 PM
Thanks teakwood, it was alot of fun doing it.
I'm interested to hear about the MS382 if you decide to buy one.

some days ago my help tells me that he wants to buy a saw to cut in pieces all the firewood he is getting from me (all the teak leftovers) so i told him: i sell you my old 260 (14years old but all seals and hoses are new with a new bar) for 180$ and i buy a new saw. ;D he agreed.
I'm left with a 260 (4years), 361 (1 year) and my old 066.
i went to the nearest dealer and inspected the 382. i didn't like what i saw.
Stihl claims it to be of the professional line but i'm not convinced:

it's made in Brasil, all professional saws they ever sold here came from Germany and i always liked that.
It has rubber mounts instead of springs
of course it comes with a 25" duromatic bar (which i hate)
all the edges on the plastic covers are sharp, like not smoothed out. almost looks like a cheap knockoff
Now i know why they don't sell this saw in north america and just in the lesser professional latin market.

the good thing is they have promotions now, the 382 is 750$ instead of 950$.

I think i will buy another 361 (of course this model has no special discount ::)), i like that saw so much that i buy another one for the help. The 361 is really a step up compared to the 260, and as my trees are getting bigger and bigger it surely will be a wise purchase.

HolmenTree

Teakwood,
Can you get the MS362 CM there? Or are you only getting the Brazilian saws, no German made?

teakwood

We can't get the new saws here, just old ones ::) ::)

But the real professional saws are all German made: 260, 361, 460, 660, 880 (that's why i'm confused with the 382)

all the farm and hobby saws are Brazilian made: 170, 180, 250, 310, 390

and then there are the prehistoric "chunk" saws, still available in 2018: 051, 076, " the Tanks" ::)

teakwood

the dealers all belong to the same and only importer and they decided to stay away from M tronic models, maybe they afraid that they won't be able to repair them  ??? ???
so sadly we are stucked with the antique models and duromatic bars only>:( >:(

No 262, 362, 462, 661 in Costa Rica

Thank You Sponsors!