How do I cut a stump REALLY low.

Started by Steven A., March 12, 2007, 04:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I had it there but the bytes were like 68,000. Was trying to keep under 30. ;D
You really do like pictures don't ya. :D

beenthere

Yup  ;D

I cut em to the pixel size limit FIRST, then save to least compression.
Should work then (under the 30k), better'n the other way around (least never fails for me when in that order).  Give 'er a shot.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Onthesauk

beenthere,       Took me a second there to figure out you were talking about pictures and not stumps.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Got a little recreational fayir going last night in this tractor trailer rim to see if da stump would burn. ;D  Started it with a few Brickets off the BBQ about 6pm along with twigs and a piece of Pine Borer log. It slow burned through the night and was pretty much charcoal when I poked at it this morning. The stump re-lit with the poking, slow burned all day and was still smoldering when I got home tonight. It burned a couple inches below ground level and it's sister stump right next to it is burning right now with a couple pine borer logs, hopefully with the same effect. Got a dozen or so to go. Takes more time than a stump grinder but I like Fayir pits. ;D

I got some stumps that seem to keep comin' outta the ground or the soil around them is sinking. Their next. ;)

rpg52

There was a commercial preparation that used potassium nitrate - you'd bore holes, place it and it would cause the stump to rot quickly.  Just a warning, in summer dry areas (I live in California), those stumps and roots can burn for a long time.  The chief of our local volunteer fire district had stump that smouldered underground for two weeks, before it came up to the surface and started his neighbors garage on fire.  Likely not a problem in areas where you get summer rain.
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

Jim Spencer

"Potassium Nitrate"  Also Known As "Saltpeter".
You can buy chemicals at Home Depot although unfairely expensive.
Jim

miley

Hi there Steven.. Saltpetre =potasium nitrate, is considered to be the stuff for rotting your tree stumps,make cavities in the stump one way or another 'the deeper the better"pour in some 'saltpetre', then wait maybe a year or two depends on the timber.. meanwhile plant some flowers or herbs around it .. Cheers  Miley

Dodgy Loner

Yep, potassium nitrate is the stuff to make a stump rot.  The commercial formulas that intended for rotting stumps are ridiculously overpriced (often $5 per pound).  You can go to a farm store and buy a 50 lb bag of potassium nitrate fertilizer (pure KNO3 is 13-0-44) for around $15-20.  You'll probably have to special order it, as most stores don't keep it in stock.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

I was removing some old box elder stumps the other day that were cut down and stumps burnt in 1998. The largest stump was just mush, the smallest stumps are still solid and the medium sized stumps where 2/3 mush.  I took a break from it, but will be going back at it to remove the larger stumps at least. I never adding anything to the stumps to help rot them, just mud and weeds around them.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

steverina

A more eco way would be pouring sugar in the cavities.
this will make it rot too.

cheers
steve-erina
smile through the tears

KnotBB

Would it work to just push the tree over and then handle the stump above ground?
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

Thank You Sponsors!