iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts on Grizzly tools

Started by kkcomp, April 28, 2023, 09:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkcomp

Worth the cost? Mostly doing hobby type of stuff and looking at a shaper. current tools are mostly Dewalt but they don't make everything. Any recommendations on the same or similar to this one?

Grizzly G1035 - 1-1/2 HP Shaper
Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?
Rework is the bane of my existence
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

K-Guy

I don't own any Grizzly tools but have always heard they are good, not great for the most part. I would read closely the reviews for that tool to make sure it will do everything you want. Like I said good not great and they sometimes lack some features the others have.  
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Southside

The stuff from 15 years ago was better quality than what you get today. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kkcomp

Quote from: Southside on April 28, 2023, 10:02:19 AM
The stuff from 15 years ago was better quality than what you get today.
I find that to be true with just about everything anymore :(
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

bluthum

I don't know much about the hobby level grizzly stuff but I've had outstanding success  with a 20 odd year old grizzly 3 hp table saw and shaper. Both are sorta comparable to the Delta 3 Hp shaper and Delta unisaw and served me well while making a living, working perfectly today. I wouldn't trade the saw for a comparable unisaw.

I also have some lesser old grizz stuff like stationary belt sander, planer blade sharpener and the small metal cutting bandsaw all of which have been good enough for the money for sure. The belt sander required several  bearing changes and a new motor over the years but it dates back to the early grizz days, early '80's maybe.

Personally I was burned out on anything Dewalt made years ago and swore off buying that brand. However just based on their tools I've used casually that others own Dewalt seems much better than in the old days. I reckon my dislike may be out of date there. 

Larry

A 1-1/2 HP shaper is about equal to a simple shop built router table.  If you want to get into the world of shaping, search for a used 3 HP Delta which is really about the minimum size.  I see them sell for a lot less than what you would pay for that new one.  You would have a few dollars left for tooling or maybe a feeder.

Grizzly quality runs from junk to fair/passable.  I think the reason is they seem to use the lowest cost factory in China.  The machines coming from Taiwan seem a step up.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

scsmith42

I have a shop full of Grizzly equipment and in general have been pleased with it.  One caveat - none of my equipment is their lowest HP version.  It is all their "Z" series or equivalent professional grade.

The table saw is 5 hp, as is the shaper,  The 30hp resaw bandsaw is excellent - probably the most precise resaw bandsaw on the market.  

I would personally get a 3hp or larger shaper.  
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

rusticretreater

Use the internet.  Just punch in the model number and the word ratings.  You will get magazine comments, forum comments.  Also try best moulder/shaper and things like that.  After a bit of reading you will be knowledgeable about the machine and probably what it goes for on the market.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

chet

As a hobby woodworker my shop has a pretty fair representation of Grizzly tools. I don't have the bottom line stuff or the top of the line stuff, but tools matched for the job at hand.  They have done me well and will easily last my lifetime, and beyond.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Don P

I'm using them for parts on my planer that Delta doesn't support anymore. They both came from the same oven :).

firefighter ontheside

I've had great luck with Grizzly tools.  I currently only have 2 tools.  One is a 17" bandsaw which I love.  The other is an older 20" planer that works good for what I use it for.  It's been around the block, but still gets the job done.  The same planer is still made, but with better infeed and outfeed tables, more HP and helical heads.  Someday I may upgrade to helical.  At least in the past, their machines were made in the same factory with many same parts as higher end tools like Jet and Powermatic.  Their fit and finish was where they suffered a little. I had a contractor open base table saw that was great.  Then I had their first hybrid which had a known alignment issue when raising the blade.  It would go in and out of square as it went up.  I would stay away from that one, but I can't think of the model number.  To answer your question, they are great for hobby use and then some.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

peakbagger

I think Don nailed it, many if not small power tools are made offshore and most are built to the same design with interchangable parts, it is just not economic to make them in the US except to a limited extent of their Marquis product like Delta Unisaws. Delta is actually owned by a Taiwanese company but does have some production in the US. The difference between the various stickers on the equipment is how much does the distributor in the US inspect the product at the offshore factorym, what tolerences they will accept and how well they support parts and their warranty? My limited experience over the years was that the mechanical components are usually lightly stressed but the motors were not great. 

There used to be a chain store, Woodworkers Warehouse that had pretty good selection at their stores. They usually worked to make sure that customers were happy. I was at on store one day and the manager was complaining that most of the back room was full of new off shore equipment that he had removed the motors to give to customers whose motors had failed early. 

Mooseherder

Grizzly has 370.00 dollars off the 3hp shaper until Early June.  I am tempted.  :D

firefighter ontheside

Also, I have found Grizzly customer service and tech support to be excellent.  I had to repair a Grizzly drum sander that I bought.  They spent an hour on the phone with me helping me figure out what I needed.  Then told me to call back when the part arrived and they would help me install it.  I did and they did.  I sold that sander.  Last year I bought a used 20" planer.  It needed to be tuned to feed correctly.  They spent time on the phone with me figuring out what was wrong and told me how to fix it.  While on the phone with them they helped me figure out which knife setting jig I needed.  He told me the part numbers on the site to order.  He also looked up my serial # to see if my machine was a candidate for helical heads.  I have heard some folks complain, but I have had nothing but good experience.  I live about 3 hours from the Springfield MO store and it is amazing.  Everything they sell is in there.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

blackhawk

I've had the 1-1/2 hp Grizzly shaper for almost 20 years now.  I have used it a lot.  When it came new, the handle to raise the table was very stiff.  I took it apart and found that a small metal chip had got between the shaft and the bronze bushing.  I cleared the chip out and just took a flap sander on my drill and cleaned up the bushing ID.  The only other problem is that there is a little dowel pin in the spindle that helps hold the router bit adapter.  It will slip out enough to not engage the adapter.  It usually takes 2 or 3 years for it to move enough to cause a problem.  I keep meaning to adding some Loctite to it but always forget.

I would never go back to a router table after using the shaper.  I don't ever push it super hard, but the 1-1/2 hp has not been a problem for me on a hobby/very small production level.

Definitely get the optional cast iron wing.
Lucas 7-23 with slabber. Nyle L53 kiln. Shopbot CNC 48x96

kkcomp

Well I took the leap. Got the 3HP shaper with a powerfeed and some bits. Since it was on sale too I went ahead and got the combo disk and belt sander too.

Thank You Sponsors!