iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dealing with poison ivy on you

Started by WV_hillbilly, June 24, 2003, 07:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV_hillbilly

Are there any good things to kill poison ivy with once it gets on you ? I usually end up going to the Doc to get a shot and some steroid pills everytime I get it real bad .A coworker used to be a tree trimmer and said they had something called Ferric Chloride I think.  He doesn't know where to get it at since he doesn't do that anymore. Calamine usually doesn't work for me cause when I go to work the sweat starts rolling and it is gone.  

Anyone got any answers ?  ???
Hillbilly

Jeff

My understanding of poison ivy is that the reaction is an allergic reaction. I could never get it as a kid where my sisters could get it from 20 feet. Now I am allergic to everything and hope I dont get close to any of da ivy.

I wonder if benedryl has an effect?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

The first thing to do, I'm told, is to bath as soon as you have come into contact with it.  Lots of soap and water.  The oils are what get on you and you have to get them off before you are affected.  

Charlie had Calamine Lotion put all over him, :)

dewwood

There is a product that tree trimmers & power companies etc use to treat ivy or sumac.  Try this link to see if you can find it.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/index1.asp
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

CHARLIE

WV_hillbilly, talk to your pharmacist. I read where there is a product you apply to your skin before you go where you might come in contact with poison ivy. It puts a protective barrier on your skin. It doesn't help after you get it but will help prevent you from getting it.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

WV_hillbilly

Up until a few years ago I would wash with  Fellsnaptha soap . I can no longer find it around here. It was pretty good if you washed when you got home. It is a bar form and dark yellow in color.  If I  could find it I would lay in a good supply of it . I used to scatch  the ivy rash open and put Clorox on it but  once had a bad chemical burn from it  so I don't do that any more. I want to do some land clearing and no I will be in the stuff and the wife won 't  let me in the same room as her if I have the ivy rash. She gets it like Jeff's sisters and won't have any of that . Plus she won't even wash the clothes I wear while I clearing out poison ivy.

I took my 5 year old fishing two weeks ago and he come home with it and boy did I get read the riot act. :D After a couple of days it was gone and everything returned to normal.  We did catch fish so it was a sucessfull trip.
Hillbilly

Tillaway

Technu or Teknu or something like that works for me,  They have a poison ivy armour for pre-exposure.  A cleanser for afterward and a lotion if you get it.  I friend that requires hospital visits to get rid of it uses both the cleanser and armour and it works real well.  The cleanser works well for me alone and I wade around in it(poison oak) all day long.  All of Northern Cal is covered with it.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

OneWithWood

I second Till's advice for the Technu cleanser - it does work after a fashion.  I tried the armor and had a nasty reaction to it after being in the sun all day.  I have used an armor product called Stocko Guard that worked well.
The only thing that works 100% of the time is to wear long pants, long sleeve shirts and gloves.  Wash the clothes immeditely upon disrobing and wash your hands with dish soap after handling the clothes.
The fully clothed option is also a great protector for sunburn, ticks, skeeters and other nasties.  Be sure and drink plenty of water.  As an added benefit you will lose excess fat if you happen to be carrying any. ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ron Scott

Forestry Suppliers, Inc. previously mentioned and Ben Meadows Company both have protections and relief aids. See Forestry Suppliers catalog 54 page 557 and Ben Meadows catalog page 739 for such products.

Both are in the Forum links. Also check with your local USDA-Forest Service or State foresters as to what they use if anything.

When I was with the USDA-Forest Service we used a cream called Toxic-Guard. It had to be rubbed on the skin before hand as a protectant and seemed to work well for most of us. Not sure where they got it from or if it still exists. Probably replaced with something better as that was some time ago.

~Ron

johnjbc

Best thing I've found is Hydrocortisone Cream 1%. About 10 years ago they made it an over the counter medicine so you don't need a prescription. I don't get poison Ivy any more (don't ask how) but it takes care of poison Oak
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Sawyerfortyish

I get poison ivy or sumac bad eys swell shut fingers swell so I can't work. The worst part is I'm allergic to cortizone and benadryl. I always had to suffer through it. But the last time i had poison sumac the doc gave me a shot and the next day I was able to see and after taking some pills it cleared up in about 3 days after I had already went a week without anything he told me not to wait so long to come in. When I was younger there wasn't anything any one could do for me being allergic to everything. I guess medicine has advanced a long way. All I can say is the shot and the pills works for me.

WV_hillbilly

Tillway
    I have seen that stuff your talking about but didn't  know if it worked or not. I will give it a try.

Onewithwood

At 6'3" and 280 lbs.I resemble that last remark> :D
Hillbilly

Tom

:D :D  I'm going to be 6' 5"  one day. :D

OneWithWood

:D :D :D  I will never see 5'8" let alone 6' sumthin' but if I don't get a handle on my handles I may very well see the other half of that equation  :D :D :D
One With Wood

MrMoo

Hmmm,
I think this topic applys to me as I have a poison ivy rash on the back of my hand. Got it chipping up branches on Saturday.
I have been using the Tecnu cleanser. It seems to work ok but it doesn't make it go away just washes the oil away & prevents it from spreading.
I think I will take a look at some of the preventative products mentioned here.
Thanks for the info.

beenthere

I chime in with Tom, in washing the ivy oils off the skin (I try to do it within two hours of exposure) to control any reaction. I have learned from reading about poison ivy reactions that you cannot spread it from the blisters that you already have. Any spreading is from original oil on the skin that wasn't washed off, or was picked up subsequent to any washing, or reacted more slowly.

I wash the clothes that may have oil on them before wearing them again, and take precaution to wash my hands after tying my boots that likely have the ivy oil on them. That has become a habit even in the winter when I am not in poison ivy.  :D

These procedures have worked well for me for the last 25 years. I am going to look for the Tecnu at the store. It apparently works on the ivy oil (urushiol), and is to be used within 8 hours of exposure.

Good luck out there in that poison ivy, oak, or sumac (that was the worst one for me). :(
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hawby

To add to what has been said, if I get it, it will go systemic on me. In other words, it will popout wherever I scratch. Learned a nasty lesson about that one time  :-[

Also learned to run the washing machine through a full cycle empty, with soap and bleach. Actually had three other family members get it from my clothes being washed alone, but theirs went right in after 'em.   ???

The steroids ussually clear it right up. Benefit of that is, I put on huge muscles  :D

Funny thing, as a kid when I didn't know what it was, I did not get it. Only during basic training, when I got it REAL bad, did I ever get concerned about it. now I can get it at 20' too. BTW, I took my basic at Fort Leonard Wood, Misery. Some of you spell it Missouri  ;D

hawby
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Bro. Noble

I understand that more than one GI from the "Fort" wandered over to St. Robert and caught aanother kind of rash that requires penecillin. :'(

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

hawby

Noble,

I was rewarded by my Drill Sargent for being the best shot in the Division. He allowed me a one night "conjugal visit" from my wife  8) I knew all those boxes of ammo would come in handy some day!  :o

I was a very happy soldier ;D

They got some real HEAVY soil in that neck o' woods! It rained, snowed, sleeted, or all the above, every day, for 8 weeks. They shaved our heads the first day, then realized they didn't have nuff hats. I had had should length hair. Needless to say, I was shiverin'.

After Basic was over though, I had to say it was one of the best experiences I have experienced.

hawby
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Scott_R

Common rubbing alcohol will breakdown the ivy oils. Got this from a local country doctor. Swab down boots and gloves with it. Wash any exsposed skin. Even put it in a spray bottle and use it on clothing before the washing machine. The thicker your skin is the longer you have to get the oils out.  Scott

WV_hillbilly

That's great all this talk about poison ivy and now I got it in a neat ring around my wrist. Sorta like a bracelet. I must have gat some in the cuff of my glove and didn't find out soon enough.I bought some of that Technu stuff but the poison has a good head start.At least I got it stopped before it got to far you no what I mean being that I'm right handed.I would imagin that's a itch you better not scratch. :o
Hillbilly

Mark M

There is a plant that grows in wet areas (near beaver ponds). I think it is is called Jewel weed. It has a orange flower that hangs from a stem. I think it might be called Touch me Not (can't remember for sure). When it is ripe if you touch the seed pods they pop from a built-in spring tension and send the seeds flying. Anyway if you crush the stems of this plant and rub the juice on your skin it helps. This is something I learned from an Indian friend who very knowledgeable about such things.

Mark

Wade

Hey guys,
 I usually get it once or twice a year when I do some
clean up around the pond and yard. The first time I got it I
was covered head to toe. Wore shorts and no shirt :-[ :-[.
I had to take a potty break once or twice and did'nt think about washing my hands first :o :o :o. You can bet  I don't do that anymore ;) ;). I was given some steroid cream. It helped.
You have to be careful about wiping the sweat off your brow also. Wade
If it's worth cutting down a tree for, it's worth doing right

WV_hillbilly

Wade it only takes one time for you to learn that lesson about being very carefull  doing  certain activities while you are messing with poison ivy. :o ;D

Good news for me the rash is almost gone  .I 'll try not to get  more next weekend cleaning up some of my property. 8)
Hillbilly

jwood

hillbilly my wife uses that fellsnaptha soap and a cream,triamcinolone acetonide usp,0.1%  the cream seems to work pretty good. it drys the blisters keeping them from spreading...i'll find out where she gets the soap..

Bibbyman

I hadn't got poison oak (poison ivy?) for over 40 years.  I routinely pull it off the logs because Mary is real allergic to it.  Then last Saturday I was trimming the butt swells off a bunch of walnut logs.  We were sawing hard and heavy and I'd been out in the sun a lot and I felt like my forearms were starting to burn.  I just thought it was a little too much sun.  Showed off after we quit for the day and found the area red.  Next morning,  the top side of both forearms were covered in welts and I had a few places around my neck.   I'm up now looking for the goop to put on it.   I'm afraid it may be spreading to my eyelids.

I've been cussing the logger ever since.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

shopteacher

Bibby,
   You better be careful now. Seems once you get it you loose you imunity, at least that's what I've been told from other who never use to get it. Now the're alergic! ???
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

johnjbc

When I was a teenager ( Way back in the last century) The doctor could give you shots to build up an immunity. 8) I read that they used an extract of the plant to make the shots. 8) They don't due that any more due to some people having a reaction. ??? ::) I was told that if you picked 3 of the small leaves from the top of the plant and ate them you wouldn't get it anymore.  ??? ???Well didn't get it again for 12 years.  :D ;D Then I had to take another treatment.
Please don't try this on my account but it works for me  8) 8)
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

OneWithWood

Bibby, sounds more like poison oak or maybe even poison sumac.  I rarely get poison ivy but poison oak affects me and poison sumac gives me a nasty reaction.  
Try not to scratch  :D
One With Wood

SawBilly

As a person who has taken allergy shots for a long time, and basically allergic to everything except cedar (go figure), I do have some experience in this area. First there is nothing better than prevention, that said, Technu is the best product out there if you use it right. out in the field all day I would take a change of clothes, bucket of water and would basically take a shower every 4 hours. Technu was designed by scientist to combat chemical warfare. It bonds with the agents and allows them to be washed off. common soap and water will not touch poison ivy. I would doubt (not to offend) rubbing alcohol to actually take away the oils. It does make the skin feel better for awhile. Taking a bath is the worst thing to do as it will allow some surface oil to spread (oils of the plants is the problem) If you can get Technu applied soon after exposure and washed off you should not get any breakouts. if you wait a while more than 4 hours you may break out, but the technu will stop the spreading.

for wives tells I heard if you rub youself with the soil that the plants grow in it acts as a buffer, be kinda like taking a temporary allergy shot. As I try to only follow facts I have NOT tried this.

My advice, if you have it, dont scratch use calyadryl (spel?) go to the doctor get a cortizone shot, or use technu 2-3 times a day to stop spreading. If you dont have it, wear clothes change a lot, use technu often, keep your eyes open and let your buddy work in that area!!

SawBilly

P.S. I cant recommend this but the second most satisfying feeling in the world is scratching your poision ivy

woodmills1

haven't replied before here because my treatment is low tech, except for the cortisone, and painful.  I get the poison, not very often, but when I do i scrub it with a wash cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol.  This hurts so much that I then put some over the counter cortisone on it to get myself back off the ceiling.  works for me, not reccommended.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WV_hillbilly

jwood that would be great if you  could locate a source for that fellsnaptha soap. It seemed to work real well for me before.

Thanks Hillbilly
Hillbilly

Saki

There are some great suggestions up the line there, and I will add a couple of possible ideas as well.

The oils in the plant ( urushiol ) is indeed what causes the reaction. According to my OSHA research ( for safety meetings I have to do monthly where I work ) 80 to 85% of the population will have at least a minor reaction, and there are some people it doesn't affect at all, and there are some people who have never had it into adulthood who will eventually lose their resistance to it.

The urushiols oil lasts a very long time ( years in some cases ) and is still as potent as fresh oil. It takes very little amount to cause a reaction to those susceptible to it. One article had it figured down to 1 to 2 ounces of urushiol oil mixed in with 55 gallons of vegetable or some other oil, would still produce a reaction in those susceptible.

There are many shield products and items like tecnu that help to slow it down. If you are particularly allergic to it, many of them will help.

Here are some things that I have tried that seem to help me. If I know that I have been in an area where I have walked through it, I will shuck out of my clothes when I get home, and put them right into the washer. Lots of detergent, and at least the warm setting to help get the urushiol oil out. Next step is a warm shower with lots of soap. Not cool, not hot. Cool water seems to impede the ability of the soap to remove the oil. Hot seems to open up my pores and really cause me problems. Multiple lather up and rinses help to remove the oil and usually prevents a breakout. A strong soap like mentioned above will probably help as well, since most deodorant/typical soap may not have much oil removing capability.

If you do have a reaction despite your best efforts, I am one of those people that are deathly allergic, and it usually means a trip to the local doc for a shot and some steroid pills. I also use an ointment stuff called Rhuli- jel ( available over the counter ) that works as good as anything I have ever seen. It is funny stuff cause it burns and makes it feel cool all at the same time, really seems to help dry it up though.

Also if your case is not too bad, chlorinated pool water works wonders on helping it to dry up. It is essentially super diluted bleach water and the chlorine acts as a sanitizing/drying agent. A nice hour or 2 soak or swim can make it feel worlds better.

Last, but not least, poison ivy is in the anacardiaceae family which includes thing like cashews and some of the articles suggested that people who have allergies to nuts or other things will be inherently more susceptible to posion ivy. Don't know if that could be a proven fact, but it sure makes sense to this old boy. Good luck, Saki.

Thank You Sponsors!