iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fast growing pines?

Started by Qweaver, November 06, 2006, 09:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

2 furrow plow in the fall, space strips 6-7 feet, plant in spring. If you plow and plant in spring, make sure you roll the sod or same problems Phorester mentioned. Put the tree beside the hinge of sod. Better success than spraying alone. Plant 100's of acres of old fields and this was the most success. We also used a Kula that scalped the ground behind the tractor.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Tom and Beenthere,
What direction do the tines rotate on those tillers?
I know the walk behind tillers that have the tines running forward, as if they were a wheel, tend to be hard to handle and sound a lot like Tom described.
The ones where the tines rotate "backwards" are pretty nice and easy to use.
Was just wondering if the rotation was different one the ones you have both used.

beenthere

Tines (L-shaped cutters) come over the top forward, and throw out the bottom to the rear. Tractor holds the tiller in position. Some dirt comes over the top. Moving slow, with sharp cutters, chewing up good as it moves along works for me.

Pics of some 3pt tillers
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tonich

Quote from: Qweaver on November 22, 2006, 12:40:36 PM
With the way this land lies, erosion will not be a problem.
Hi,
If you try to ensure best survival rate for the seedlings, then you shouldn’t bother for the erosion. The worst it could be - a small rate sheet erosion, which is easily self recovered afterwards.
I’m curious how you are intended to mix the three species – what kind of planting pattern?

Cheers

PS. Best regards to everyone here!  :)

Qweaver

Well, things have changed.  We're in Texas with Sarah laid up with a broken leg.  We won't get back to W.Va. until the 1st of February at the earliest.  The trees will be there mid to late Feb. and I will not be able to work up the ground until I get back there.  Should I call the nursery and see if they will ship the trees later?  I may try to get one of my cousins to work-up the soil now, which will give it about 4 to 6 weeks before we plant.  Will planting in March be OK? 
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Phorester

Sorry to hear about the broken leg.  I found out the hard way that any broken bones below your waist really inhibit what you can do.  Hope she is doing well.

If it is a definite that your cousin  can get it plowed and disked now, then I'd say do it and plant at your orginal schedule.  March planting would also be fine if you can do the preperation after you get back.

But if you don't think the plowing and disking can be done in time, I'd not plant this year.  Good site preperation is vital to get a new forest to survive and grow.  I've seen too many landowners lose their cost of trees and planting when they couldn't get the preperation done right or on time.  Then they have to do it all over the following year.

SwampDonkey

Get them in the ground as early as possible and don't delay into the summer. Survival goes down with the hot season and water deficit in the soil. I always planted my trees as soon as the frost was gone in the soil and sometimes even a little frost down deep. I've seen a lot of land owners that won't prepare their site and try to plant in July with bad results.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

Our planting season here is late February through April. I like to have all trees in the ground by mid-April, but we still get adequate survival until the end of April, just not as good as earlier in the month.  Summer and fall planting is out for us. No survival at all.  Bare rooted seedlings aren't available from our State nurseries in summer or fall anyway. But some landowners have ordered them from private nurseries, to their dismay when they don't survive. 

Qweaver

I just got off of the phone with the WV nursery forester and have moved my delivery date to March 13.  This should give me plenty of time to get the soil prepped...unless Sarah falls and breaks anything else.  :D   I'm sure gonna miss her help when I start planting.  Is there a preferred way to plant.  When my uncle and I planted trees years ago,  we used a spade to make a tapered hole, dropped them in and used the spade to close the hole.  It worked but I'm betting there is a better way.
The people at the state nursery are really friendly and helpful.  A real rarity with government employees these days.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

SwampDonkey

Are they container stock? Use a dibble bare with a step on the dibble head so you don't injure your hand/wrist. If they are bare root, a shovel is best and don't rock the shovel forward and back as that creates an air pocket around the roots. Then they dry out and die.

Phorester

Quinton, contact your State Service Forester who covers your county.  Your nursery contact should be able to tell you how to contact him/her. They may be called county forester, area forester, district forester, something like that.  They may have a tree planting machine that you can rent.  These are pulled behind a farm tractor and are the easiest way to plant long rows of trees or larger numbers of trees.

I have one that I rent to County landowners every spring.  The landowners supply the tractor and two workers, one for driving the tractor one to ride the machine.  A third is better, to help resupply the machine and the beer, pick up dropped trees, pack seedlings that for some reason didn't get packed right by the machine, etc., but 2 can do it.  Then they both go back over the day's planting to make sure the trees are right. 

Qweaver

Just to update,  We have planted about 400 of the 500 trees.  I hilled the remainder into a bed and will try to use them in the fall  to replace other that do not make it through the summer.  We did not get the last of them in the ground before they started showing new growth and they looked a little stressed but it looks like most of them are going to make it OK.  The trees that we got planted within a week of their arrival are all doing well.  We hand planted by digging a hole with the tractor and auger and lots of water.  That was very time consuming but we look like having a high survival rate. The dry weather has the ground showing cracks so we have been pumping pond water and giving each tree a good drink every-other day.  Next comes the deer fence.
Quinton

Thank You Sponsors!