iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEC

I am reasonably sure the owl is a Great-horned Owl by its' large size and horizontal barring on the breast and belly. If anyone wants to hear it, I have some owl stories that I think are of interest.

Ron Scott

Yes, a Great-horned owl. It has selected an apple tree for its recent nights perch.
~Ron

Ron Scott

The Kingfisher waits on the boat dock's light before seeking some fish food.

~Ron

Crusarius

I have not seen a king fisher in years. Always kool to watch.

Today I had a very strange looking bird that looked and acted just like a chicken. It flew into the top of a dead tree and hung out a little. at first I thought it was pileated wood pecker but it acted just like a chicken. anybody have any ideas what it might be?

I couldn't get any detail on it since it was bright over cast behind it. When I tried to get closer he bailed.

KEC

Crusarius, You say the bird acted like a chicken. How so ? Pileated Woodpeckers cackle and sound chicken-like at times.

Crusarius

head bobbing and pecking the limb and leaves it landed on.

I have never seen a pileated act like that. But who knows, the fall air could be messing with their heads. I know my cats are crazy.

Chuck White

I've noticed over the past few days that the Eastern Bluebirds are flocking, so they must be pretty close to heading South!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

stavebuyer

I thought this was nice enough to share. Any of you bird experts care to ID the bird?

Crusarius

KEC

May be a bluebird. Hard to be sure.

WV Sawmiller

We started the day with a couple, maybe more, bluebirds going in and out of the bluebird box they used to raise 2 clutches of 5 eggs each this summer on the pasture fence and overlooking the front yard. We still don't know what they were doing going in and out of the house. Surely it is too late in the year for them to try to build another nest and raise some more. i told my wife I'd have to put a light bulb in it like I did in Sampson's small doghouse to keep him warm. I did not see them going and coming later in the day. Maybe they were just homesick and came back for a visit.

About midday I looked out my window to see a Towhee perched there looking at me about 2' away. I don't know what he was up to.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

KEC

WV Sawmiller, Bluebirds occaisionally check out boxes at all times of the year. They will go in boxes to roost at night in the winter. I read once of someone who counted ~24 bluebirds that all went into a box for the night and it was just a standard size box! No need for a heat lamp there. I once discovered a chickadee going into the cross pipe (1 1/2" diameter) of a clothes line pipe. He would curl up inside that pipe and spend the night, safe from those pesky owls.

WV Sawmiller

@KEC ,

Thanks for the info. That may be what these were doing although we did see them going in and coming out of the box. I just figured they were homesick.  :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ron Scott

Redtailed Hawk also likes the apple tree.

~Ron

KEC

Ron, So one works the night shift and one works days. Just not a safe place for mice and voles and such.

Ianab

Local artist has hit a boring concrete wall on the walkway where the while fantail hangs out. 

So even if you don't get to see the bird, that's what it looks like  ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Grouse feeding in the back yard this morning. A rather plump one to. There are three hanging around, saw all three the other day when carrying ashes out to dump. :)

https://youtu.be/av3mTP_F4m8 
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

I used to hunt and eat grouse, but now I just enjoy seeing them. Just to let you guys know, this is a good year for "winter finches", Crossbills, Pine Siskins, Pine Grossbeaks and Evening Grossbeaks. Keep your feeders stocked with sunflower seed. So far this fall I had a single Pine Siskin a couple of times.

Onthesauk

When my daisies died back this fall the pine siskins  were all over them for several weeks, maybe a couple dozen at a time.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

We get a lot of juncos and goldfinch here in the weeds. We have only a small number of evening grosbeaks that eat seeds of the boxelders. Bluejays are always present, looking for a free lunch. They love peanuts by the way, they will have them all before a squirrel even knows they are there. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

I thought my eastern bluebirds had migrated south for the winter but I sat in my lower shooting house today from about 1:00 pm till dark. Almost as soon as I got there I spotted eastern bluebirds getting the corn off the spinner of my deer feeder. For every grain of corn they took off the feeder they would knock 10-20 off on to the ground below. I assume these are the ones that raised here at the house since I was probably only 500-600 yards away. That brought back memories of when they did not want me near their house, even though I had built and provided it to them. Here they were eating food I had provided and wasting most of it. I remembered how they would attack and crap all over me but were now dependent on me and no doubt I will have to house them and their offspring next year too and it suddenly dawned on me - they must think I am the Federal Government. :D  (Sorry - the devil made me say that. ::))

Two in the frame - sometimes there would be 5-6. Just right of 6:00 and about 10:00 in the frame.  

Underneath the feeder picking up some they had already knocked out  

Raiding the spinner on my feeder. I wonder how often they are there when it goes off? I watched at my 4:00 feeding and a red-bellied woodpecker had just left about 30 seconds earlier.
Howard Green

SwampDonkey

They seem to return to the nest site when on migration. They do here, but it was earlier in the fall.

I had to chase off a hairy woodpecker the other day, he was trying to make a nest box hole larger. :D

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Chuck White

Believe it or not, we are still seeing Eastern Bluebirds here!

There was a bunch of them that left about a month ago, but now there's another "smaller" bunch of them here!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

KEC

I'm in Southern Onondaga County, NY and I have been seeing bluebirds year round for years. Oftentimes I will hear them flying overhead. In winter they feed a lot on berries and Staghorn Sumac seeds. Watch the big clumps of sumac with the red seed clusters. WV Sawmiller, the birds in your photos are titmice. Nobody told some of the birds that they have to go South. Today I counted 59 Turkey Vultures in the trees by the Jamesville Post Office (near Syracuse).

Thank You Sponsors!