iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cotton pickers spindle lube

Started by vfauto, August 26, 2018, 07:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

For those of you that use cotton pickers spindle lube, what ratio are you diluting it to?
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Tom the Sawyer

Currently running 8:1 (water:cleaner) spindle cleaner
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

GAB

As an FYI: I purchased a 5 gallon pail from the local JD dealer this past May.
The part number is AN114022 and the description is Crop Cleaner.
I paid $94.51 plus VT sales tax.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

:o  Don't know what the concentration level was?  I paid less than $5 per gallon with $9 shipping for 4 gallons.  I tried it for the first time yesterday and was well pleased.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

I used it for years then i switched to diesel lube because i cut so much heart pine. it worked well but not as good as diesel. around here the big farmers use mr charlies brand (jesco hi-speed spindle cleaner), i think it is around 40 bucks a pail,about half of the jd price . 
al glenn

Oliver05262

GAB: did you get that from Yandow or Hendy? I can't imagine they stock it. Did you get any funny comments from the parts guys when you got it? The guys down at Hudson River Tractor always raz me when I order sumpin' oddball. I like to do that.
  I want to get my customer in Stamford to try it, but he's getting along with water and dish soap when needed.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

YellowHammer

The easy way to mix the spindle cleaner is to simply guess and dump a bunch in the tank, basically over mix it.  Just dump a load in until it feels right.  You should see it immediately turn the water white as it mixes.  You'll know it's right when the blade stays bright and clean.  Then when my tank gets about half empty I'll just add more water, but no additional cleaner and start sawing again.  Usually it's still got more of enough in the residual mix to clean fine.  Then the next day, do it again, and at some point you'll see pitch starting to build up.  So add more juice and get back to sawing.  Some species requires very little, some species more, so this is how I can optimize for what I'm sawing, when I sawing.  It's not an exact recipe, it's just "hey, the band is getting buildup, need to dump a little more in" or "just top off the water jug, the band is still clean, keep sawing."

It's a trade off, the higher the concentration of cleaner the less actual water mix required to keep the band clean so the tank mix lasts longer and the sawdust falls off beter.  The lower the concentration, the higher the flow needed and the tank doesn't last as long and the sawdust will stick to the boards.    

Around here, in cotton country, it's cheaper than Pinsol which is $12 per gallon at TSC.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GAB

Quote from: Oliver05262 on August 29, 2018, 08:19:56 PM
GAB: did you get that from Yandow or Hendy? I can't imagine they stock it. Did you get any funny comments from the parts guys when you got it? The guys down at Hudson River Tractor always raz me when I order sumpin' oddball. I like to do that.
 I want to get my customer in Stamford to try it, but he's getting along with water and dish soap when needed.
Oliver:
I had Yandow parts personnel order it for me.
Yandow's is ~2.5 miles S of me.
Hendy's is in Middlebury which is much farther from me.
By the way is it still Hendy's?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Peter Drouin

Cotton lube, I had no idea there was such a thing. :D :D I cut dry all the time but, with the Boston job with 200-year-old timbers I thought I'd try some. Works ok. Will it freeze?  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

Do you go to Chatham, or Schagticoke? I'll have to order some, too. Really get them scratching their heads.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Crusarius

I have not put a water tank or anything on my mill yet. Does it really make that much of a difference having water drip or any other fluid drip? So far I have cut cherry, spruce, black walnut, red oak and random garbage that was laying around.

GAB

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 29, 2018, 10:00:50 PM
Do you go to Chatham, or Schagticoke? I'll have to order some, too. Really get them scratching their heads.  :D
No.  If I had to go there I would have to get a map as I have no feel as to where those places are.
Have I missed anything?
Gerald

GAB

Quote from: Crusarius on August 30, 2018, 07:32:24 AM
I have not put a water tank or anything on my mill yet. Does it really make that much of a difference having water drip or any other fluid drip? So far I have cut cherry, spruce, black walnut, red oak and random garbage that was laying around.
Not knowing what you have for equipment, how fresh the logs are, and how wide you are sawing I'm at a loss as to how to answer you comment.
When sawing fairly fresh soft wood log I can see the built up on the blade.  In my opinion this has to be generating more heat than necessary thereby increasing the horsepower needed to saw and reducing the blade life.  If you are sawing 4" wide it is probably more forgiving than sawing 20" wide.
Recently while sawing Ash I could see the pitch built up on the blade as I went along.
Gerald

Crusarius

the last stuff I cut was 22" wide black walnut. didn't notice anything on the blade but I did notice very fine sawdust. Guess maybe I should get a bottle and at least try using water and see if it cuts better.

alan gage

Crusarius:
I think we've been cutting similar woods. My tank has a lube setup and I don't use it very often. Sometimes I'll get some light build up on the blade so I'll use some water (now mixed with cotton spindle lube) to keep it clean. Other times, usually wide cuts in drier logs, I'll notice that if I shut down the motor right when finishing a cut and put my hand on the blade it feels hotter than I'd like so I'll run some lube to help cool it.
Recently I had a chance to cut some pine (not common here at all) and it was a completely different experience. Lots of buildup on the blades and belts. I had to pour diesel on the blade and then let a stick rub on the blade at low speed to clean all that junk off. For the rest of the logs I ran the lube at a higher rate and it stayed pretty clean.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Quebecnewf

Any ideas on where I could get this in Canada. Not much cotton growing going on here so not much chance that any farm supply place is stocking it

Quebecnewf

terrifictimbersllc

Just pointing out that I think there are two different products being discussed here whose names are easy to get mixed up.

Yellowhammer is talking about Cotton Picker Spindle Cleaner, a water soluble oil available in 5 gallon buckets and costing about $10/gal.  

Peter Drouin's picture above is of Spindle Lubricant and Detergent, a mostly water product available for $4/gallon. No way I would call this an oil.   Magicman, myself and several others of us have been trying this recently.  

Wondering if Yellowhammer would post a link again or picture of the product he is using. I saw it earlier in one of his posts but can't find it.   Also wondering which one Tom the Sawyer is using.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

YellowHammer

I've used two kinds, first was the Deere version which seemed to be the best but typically sold in pallet quantities, and for the last few years I've been using the Jesco version, which is very easy to get from my local Famerfs CO-OP.  

The liquid is very slick and oily, due to its oil base, but also has a lot of detergent in it, and has the same look and viscosity as 30 wt, or thick vegetable oil.    I pay about $10 per gallon in 5 gallon buckets.  When a cupful is dumped in the water tank, it just turns an immediate white, just explodes when mixed with water, don't know how else to describe it. 

You can see on the bucket below "The oil that will not burn."  

Link to
John Deere Spinde Cleaner Solvent, AN114022, sold seasonally

PMB Product:

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

KirkD

Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

rooster 58

Is this stuff better than the ole' pinesol/dish detergent mixture?

Magicman

Someone on here posted the link to where I got mine from.  I have no idea how it compares with what anyone else is using but it is some slick stuff and my blades are staying much cleaner than with my Cascade mix.  It obviously is a water/soap/oil emulsion.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

What percent spindle lube to water you use?  just got mine.  Mostly sawing ash.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Magicman

I used the same glug per gallon that I use with Cascade.  ;D

GAB

Quote from: trapper on August 31, 2018, 11:42:19 PM
What percent spindle lube to water you use?  just got mine.  Mostly sawing ash.
This morning I followed YH's suggestion (a previous entry) and added some water to the jug and went for it sawing pine.
I definitely need to add at least one GLUG more of spindle lube as I had to run a lot of mix to clean the blade.
When mixing lube and water I use the same method as when I'm cooking or baking.  I'm very lucky that my wife has been a good sport and has helped me get rid of the evidence.
Gerald

Thank You Sponsors!