iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad timing for a winch failure

Started by kelLOGg, November 28, 2020, 08:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Today I was loading a 19" dia and 8' long RO log on the mill to diagonally cut live edge ovals for a customer. I was raising one end of the log about 42 inches (measured from the top of the log) and the winch began to struggle the last few inches of travel. Odd, because the heaviest lift demand is at the beginning of the lift and the log weighed only 1000 lbs so lifting one end requires half of that - not much for a 2500 lb pull Superwinch. So, there I was with one end well up into the air and all that would happen is the click of the solenoids when I would hit up or down on the controller. Scary! I checked connections, changed batteries and tried a direct battery connection to the winch  - no dice. Winch must be toast. The most urgent matter was to get the log safely down to the mill. With a series of jack and block maneuvers I was able to lay the log down on the mill but it took about an hour - an hour of carefully assessing the safest way and being super alert. I will check the winch again tomorrow but I am sure to be in the market for another one. Any suggestions for a replacement? I have been very pleased with Superwinch but they no longer exist. Pics follow.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Southside

Can't say I have ever had anything break when it was a convenient time, so par for the course.  When I saw the second photo I thought that was a bottle jack for 1/2 second and wanted to know "where on earth you go that".   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jcbrotz

Quote from: Southside on November 28, 2020, 08:49:41 PM
Can't say I have ever had anything break when it was a convenient time, so par for the course.  When I saw the second photo I thought that was a bottle jack for 1/2 second and wanted to know "where on earth you go that".   :D
I thought the same. :) :) :)
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

kelLOGg

It is a bottle jack. It is about 18" tall, retracted and extends about another 18. The pic just doesn't show the lower part which rests on the ground.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

goose63

Ihave a Badlands 12.000 from harber fright on my log trailer its held good so far
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

kelLOGg

I found the problem with the winch: 2 broken wires to 2 of the brushes. I'm checking out sources. Anyone have a favorite source?

terrifictimbersllc

Any source for superwinch replacement parts?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Walnut Beast

mike_belben

Torin big red sells those extra long jacks.  

If superwinch parts are NLA you can probably get brushes thatll work from a starter/alt shop.  Carbon brushes can be fitted down very easily by file or belt sander. 
Praise The Lord

kelLOGg

They are NLA according to eTrailer who used to sell them. I found a winch motor end cap (complete with brushes) for a snow plow on EBAY that looks identical to what I need but the seller has not responded to me with the dimensions so I can't be sure it will fit. I am on the verge of buying a new winch to replace my almost 15 year old one.

Thanks for the suggestion about modifying one but I doubt I will go that route ....yet. 

dudders

Your local motor electrical engineer should be able to fix it for you.  Complete refurbishments are possible, so this should be no trouble.  Seems a shame to chuck a powerful winch for the sake of a couple of bust wires...

kelLOGg

I agree. Even if I decide to buy new I won't chuck the old one. I will still try to repair or replace brush assembly and then sell. I haven't bought yet but I'm ready to get back to sawing so somethings gotta give.

kelLOGg

Well, I bought the Ebay version even though I didn't know its dimensions. I was lucky - it was the proper replacement. Nice to keep the old winch since so little was wrong with it. I'm back to sawing now. 8)

samandothers

Good for you and your persistence!  

Glad the saw dust is flying again. 

puffie40

I would recommend you get yourself a chain hoist as well. Having a manual hoist available as a backup would help with the safety the next time this happens.

kelLOGg

Thanks for all the comments.

1) I contacted Superwinch to ask if the snow plow version offered on Ebay would fit my winch but they never responded.
2) I went to a local motor repair shop I have used before but they only sell new products now - no repairs.
3) A chain hoist is a great idea if the cross beams (utility poles) can bear the load. It would be a difficult chore to slip a stout beam under the roof to rest it on the poles. I'll consider this for future use.

Anyway.. I got my winch working for about $45 incl shipping.

Thank You Sponsors!