iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mounting toolbox on sawmill

Started by flatrock58, November 28, 2020, 09:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

Seems like I am always missing something when I go to saw.  I was thinking about mounting a tool box on the back of the hydraulic box of my LT40 to keep all my tools and such in with the mill.  Has anyone mounted a tool box on their mill?  If so can you post a picture.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Brad_bb

I would think it would need to be waterproof, like an ammo can or a cooler.  I use a 5 gallon bucket to carry some tools - headphones, respirator, big crescent wrenches, small wrenches, screw drivers, small level, hammer, string line, gloves, drive belt tension gauge, wedges, chain and padlock for one wheel of the mill, and a mega hitch lock vault for the trailer hitch.  Of course, the bucket is NOT waterproof, so I have to deal with that.  There are some items that won't fit like the bark spud, cant hook, chainsaw and gas/oil.  I also have my 3ft ladder to reach my fuel and lube, cordless circ saw, and bands.  

Depending on how much weight, it could alter your weight distribution when towing?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

flatrock58

Brad I mainly wanted a place for hand tools and tape measure and small framing square.  Since i still have no sawmill shed I am always running back and forth between the barn and the mill.  I was thinking about some kind of ammo box mounted behind the hydraulic box.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

kelLOGg

My mill has 2 rails making it easy to mount a toolbox, so, for what ever it is worth here it is.

It just hangs from the bunks and the lid lifts off to give access when a long log is on the mill. A chain goes around it when traveling, as if I still did that.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Lostinmn

Box would be handy for somethings.  I ordered some "DIYMAG Powerful Neodymium Disc Magnets with Double-Sided Adhesive" very strong and great for holding items to the mill so they don't vibrate/fall off.  Use for tape measure, square and etc.  Things I don't want to have to dig for and keep right at hand. 

doc henderson

my brother used to do road construction.  he had a magnet on the top of the bed tool box, and could toss a sledge up there and the magnet would hold it.  he said it was always funny to drive along the job, and the newer guys would be moving their arms and pointing, thinking it was about to fall off.  do you do mobile sawing?  if not then any box you can roll or carry to the mill is fine.  I have some stuff I leave outside like a plastic speed square.  I cover my engine and controls with plastic totes and will leave a tape under the tote sometimes.  I only take the mill on the road, once a year.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Lostinmn

Quote from: doc henderson on December 01, 2020, 10:17:16 AM
my brother used to do road construction.  he had a magnet on the top of the bed tool box, and could toss a sledge up there and the magnet would hold it.  he said it was always funny to drive along the job, and the newer guys would be moving their arms and pointing, thinking it was about to fall off.  do you do mobile sawing?  if not then any box you can roll or carry to the mill is fine.  I have some stuff I leave outside like a plastic speed square.  I cover my engine and controls with plastic totes and will leave a tape under the tote sometimes.  I only take the mill on the road, once a year.
Sounds like I guy I recall reading about who welded a pipe wrench to his back bumper just to mess with people going down the road  :D

Thank You Sponsors!