iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust overheating?

Started by Silverfoxfintry, December 02, 2020, 09:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverfoxfintry

This may seem a silly question, but. Our sawmill is now setup in its semi permanent position alongside the workshop.
In order to stop buildup the wet sawdust is ducted into a large collector.
When emptying the bags into a 1ton "builders bag" I noticed that the damp sawdust was warm.
I know that Hay and Straw can overheat and go on Fire. Can sawdust do the same?
Thanks.

Iain 

SawyerTed

The short answer is yes.  Sawdust can "go into a heat" just like green or wet hay, piles of manure, piles of mulch and even grass clippings do so.  It's part of the natural composting process.  Unattended, a pile of damp sawdust can get hot enough to catch fire.  

Glad you got to it before it got worse!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

mike_belben

Throw some greens in there and itll really warm up.  

Grass and sawdust makes fast compost. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

Yup - the heat is a byproduct of sugar breakdown in the presence of oxygen by microbes.  Once the sugar is all gone or the oxygen supply is exhausted the heat will stop, which is why we plastic wrap green baleage and it does not catch fire.  Baleage is put up ideally between 45% and 65% moisture content - just about the same as green logs are.  The bales will heat up to about 100F for a short time then as soon as the oxygen is gone the bugs die and it cools off to ambient temp.  Wrapped properly the plastic does not allow any oxygen in.  Eventually the ph drops and we have a stable feed.

In your case you can't eliminate the oxygen supply so the bugs will keep breaking down the sugar and things will get hotter and hotter.  Conditions are right - poof!!   

Now eliminate the sugar because your logs are long dead, the moisture is low for the same reason, or the packing of sawdust into those bags that hold the heat and keep conditions right and green sawdust is not a threat.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

KEC

I worked at a sawmill back in the 1970's  and one of the lumber salesmen told about a mill that hauled their sawdust out behind the mill and just kept pushing it back, many feet deep. I guess that was common practice in some places. That pile of sawdust started burning and smoldered for a very long time; how long I don't remember.

barbender

There's a defunct wild rice processing plant just a few miles down the road. I worked there 20 some years ago. They had blown the rice hulls out into a swamp out back over the years. It was 10-15 feet deep, and it would occasionally start on fire deep underneath. The DNR would demand they put it out, so they would dig it up with an excavator and try to get it out. It was tough to get at because it was burning so far down. They would send me out with several hundred feet of hose and try to douse it with water, some of those burning chasms looked like Hell😬 Not a job  cared for, I was skittish of the ground caving in and falling into a fire underneath. 
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

The key is to cycle the sawdust through the bin before it has time to compost. If you empty the bin and the sawdust is black, it's been there too long.  If it still looks like clean sawdust but is warm, well, empty it and dispose of it. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

donbj

Quote from: KEC on December 02, 2020, 10:37:29 PM
I worked at a sawmill back in the 1970's  and one of the lumber salesmen told about a mill that hauled their sawdust out behind the mill and just kept pushing it back, many feet deep. I guess that was common practice in some places. That pile of sawdust started burning and smoldered for a very long time; how long I don't remember.
Exactly! I worked at a mill where all the yard clean up and waste was dumped in to a handy ravine. Every spring we were fighting that thing as it lit on fire
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

WDH

I have seen large sawdust piles that have burned and smoldered for many months at a time back in the early 1980's. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

A pile at a mill nearby burned all winter a few years ago, hard to put out.
There was a man, I think in France years ago that was heating his house by running hose in a compost pile as he built the pile. Then he piped it back to the house like an outside wood boiler.

Silverfoxfintry

I checked the bags yesterday and they have cooled down. 

Thank you all for the information.

Iain.

curved-wood

Lucky that the veneer machine didn't hit any forgotten metal tap ;D
I have seen some maple logs that were tapped many years before. Impossible to see any sign. The logger is not the most honest guy around ...he knew it, but didn't tell me. I was sleeping a bit on the switch and didn't ask myself why those top grade veneer logs were coming to my place especially from that logger. The logs were long enough that I was able to cut the part with the marks of the tapping and sell it with a premium. The rest of the log was clear and white

curved-wood

sorry my post went in the wrong place

Thank You Sponsors!