iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2024 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2023, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I started the original Whatcha Sawin' ?? topic with this picture back in 2014.  Wow, how many of our logs have become lumber and sawdust in the past 9 years??

My next sawing year will begin busy with 16 firm jobs on the schedule book and six maybe's.  I have a whole house SYP framing lumber job sawing mostly 2X6's and a fairly large Cypress job sawing timbers.  This one is seven tree length logs of 37' to 56' with the largest butt being 37".  I believe that the longest timber will be 16'.  It will be a fun job to saw.  The furthest job is 107 miles for a repeat customer.   

The 2023 topic is now locked so the question is:  Whatcha Sawin' 2024 ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Wait! You locked the old one already? There is still 7+ hours left for this year (out here).  :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

chickenchaser

Well I evidently slid in and was called safe. I just posted there and it took!

lol
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Magicman

Actually I can not lock it.  I sent Jeff a message and he will when he gets a "Round Tuit".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

randy d

We have a nice pile of White Pine waiting for us will saw on the first day above freezing temps . Randy

Southside

With that photo it's like we are going "Back to the Future"   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chickenchaser

Well, hopefully no one else is like me, but 2024 will probably begin with me sawing my logs before they completely disappear. I'll not need the debarker as the bark has slipped off awhile ago.

This is by no means the "Magicman Special " I alluded to closing out 2023. I need to get a bit more information about the upcoming job, and when I do, it's possible a renaming would be appropriate. I most certainly would not want to besmirch the name of a reputable man and his craft.

A site visit last week and initial info from the potential customer immediately popped the title into my brain.

Not to tease, but you know the saying:

"Don't count your chickens before they come out of the fryer..."

I have been disappointed before.

Update asap. Maybe this afternoon or tomorrow.

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Jim_Rogers

Currently, no log sawing planned, yet.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doc henderson

Georgia and I helped with a new year's party at my MILs restaurant/bar in Kingman, Ks.  She is selling and the new owners were there.  She will work with the new owners for a few weeks.  We got home about 2am....  and I sawed logs all night, and just woke up a while ago.   :)

she is on the left, 80 years old, and keeps all the young drinkers in line.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

chickenchaser

Quote from: doc henderson on January 01, 2024, 10:20:16 AM

she is on the left, 80 years old, and keeps all the young drinkers in line.

No doubt she can handle just about any situation... bat_smailey
WoodMizer LT35HD

Magicman

doc henderson

We have her on life 360 so we can keep track of her.  She got home at 04:30.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Sixacresand

I spent a minutes Saturday moving a medium size white oak to the mill for today,  More importantly, Menu is hog jaws-collards, BE peas, cornbread and ham.  God has given us a beautiful day.   It's going to be a great year!!  JH
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

chickenchaser

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 01, 2024, 01:09:28 PM
More importantly, Menu is hog jaws-collards, BE peas, cornbread and ham.  God has given us a beautiful day.   It's going to be a great year!!  JH

Amen!
And pass the buttermilk.
8)
WoodMizer LT35HD

beenthere

I'm thinkin hog jowls and collard greens.  Yuummm!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scogar

First batch of pine, 10 foot material on right, 8 foot on left...all I was able to do was 3 logs. This could take me the rest of my life  :D

terrifictimbersllc

This morning I did 2 walnut logs 8' x 18" and 11 ft x 23", first was two 6" thick boards and several white 1-1/8" thick. 
Second was four 4" x 11' and top and bottom bench slab scraps.  All live edge.  Customer very happy.
In and out in 3 hr wasnt trying to rush anything.

He put all 6 boards in back of a van and the springs were still not quite flattened straight. Back doors didnt close but he only had 15 miles to go.
37 miles from home, wife helped me set up and pack up and she got the $20 tip.

Dont think I sawed on new years day before. 
Happy new year!  :) :) :)

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

Got a whack of logs accumulating.  All tulip poplar.   There's a two red oak logs, two maples and 6 or 8 more tulip poplar logs to skid out. 

I'm thinking solar kiln. 

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

chickenchaser

Ted

Does that top butt log belong to me? It has a ID tag like mine tend to have.
:D

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

Zgin

Saved this 22" walnut for today, lots of rotating but I was able to get some very nice boards out of it

chickenchaser

Very nice indeed.

Your log or a customer?
WoodMizer LT35HD

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: Magicman on December 31, 2023, 06:10:42 PM
Actually I can not lock it.  I sent Jeff a message and he will when he gets a "Round Tuit".   ;D

Is dis da "Round Tuit" you speak of @Magicman ?   ;D

Magicman

Yup dat's da very one but I guess dat Jeff found his.   :snowball:

Zgin

Picked up 8 walnut logs 16"- 24" in return he wanted a few gun stock blanks. Figured it was a good trade.

Thank You Sponsors!