iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yanmar diesel

Started by caveman, December 20, 2018, 07:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

The tractors that MDOT had when I worked for them had the exhaust get hot as blue blazes when they went into regen mode.  Really unhandy when it does that right at quitting time and every one is waiting on you to get in the crew truck to head in...manual said really did not need to shut that off when it starts....if you do that a couple of time you might have to take it in for service.

Also I have the Perkins in a Cooks.  The crank hasn't broke yet, but it could at any minute...Problem I had with it was broke rings and pistons...About a thousand dollars in parts to rebuild.  Running alright at the present. Wish it had a Yanmar.   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

petefrom bearswamp

Banjo I wonder if the WM crankshaft support kit would fit your engine.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Banjo picker

I have wondered the same thing.  I have kept up with the Headless Cat topic that was started by the woodmizer rep.  I also wonder when we had to rebuild it at 700 hours is I got the new gasket set or the same as it came out with.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Tim, Marty gave a description showing the rivets in the new head gaskets in the original post:  Cat 51 hp. Headless cat in Sawmills and Milling  Notice his comment above the 4th picture.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

No rivets showing on mine but I was assured that it is not the one prone to failure.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dave Shepard

No rivets on mine, either, but was also told it's not the right year to be failure prone. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

caveman

Straying from the Yanmar a bit, but which years of the Caterpillar/Perkins were prone to failure?  Secondly, would they all benefit from the crank support kit?  Thanks.
Caveman

Southside

Even my new D55 has a crank support kit on it, so I would say yes given the application.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tacks Y

Southside, What is a D55? And what is the HP? I have the 30+ hp cat-perk and wonder about a support.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Banjo picker

Quote from: Magicman on December 29, 2018, 07:36:13 PM
Tim, Marty gave a description showing the rivets in the new head gaskets in the original post:  Cat 51 hp. Headless cat in Sawmills and Milling  Notice his comment above the 4th picture.
Lynn I looked at the gasket when he posted that and I couldn't find what he was showing.  My enginge is a full blood Perkins according to the tag. All the parts came with Perkins labels as well.  The Cat people would not sell me parts for that engine.  I have done busingess with the man that is the traveling rep for Cat in this area, and he gave me the contacts at the Cat place,  Even knowing the rep. did not help.  They said I needed to contact Perkins.  So I did.  I just hope for the best.

Here is a side question.  Would the way the Woodmizer disengages when you take it out of gear, {For lack of a better way of expressing it.} Have any bearing on the preasure on the crank?  If I recall correctly the motor moves, don't it?  Banjo

Thank You Sponsors!