iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yanmar Crawler w/ crane, what'da think?

Started by Ironwood, September 13, 2009, 06:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Doesnt seem to be. This thing is fairly heavily built.

I just discovered the crane is labled in English AND in Kilo's so I tested he crane, it safely llifts 2000 lbs on the level at two extension horizontally. Yet another pleasant surprise.  ;D

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ironwood

Pics of the curl in the BIGGEST log (one I arched) and the top logs. Most of these pics were of the "other trees" not the curled one.

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

customdave

Man o Man that thing must be built like a sherman tank!, neat don't forget to play safe & keep the shiney side up!....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Ironwood

Thanks, yes.  I need to get the welder out and put some roll caging and seat harnesses on it. This was the "Maiden" voyage. You can get yourself in trouble with something like this if your not careful. I want to make sure I am protected if the shiny side DOESNT stay up. That is why I put the fence in the one pic (to show the side slope).

Ironwood

woodsteach

That looks like a great machine and some very pretty wood as well.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

4genlgr

man, be careful!!    being that close to something lifted by log tongs gave me the creeps
THEN i saw the pic with the log loaded crosswise, a big one at that    ihmo  no better way to get a machine in the proper position to grease the undercarriage without bending over!! with or with out the slope to help

Ironwood

4Genlgr,

I am EXTREMELY careful, got three young boys and they NEED a Dad ;D. Thanks though.

As far as tongs, I use them a good bit. I have not had an issue (yet?). Are you speaking for a direct experience? I would be interested if you have a story to share, always something to learn.

Ironwood

beenthere

I'd agree with 4Genlgr, and from experience being that close to logs that high with just tongs is a risk. The wood can let loose at a moments notice where the points are set (unless the points are below the largest diameter of the log).
Tongs are good to get the log up, but a safety chain looped around the log would be 'safer'.   Prolly OSHA would have two chains and then some (or prohibit the movement of that log at all  :) ).

I got the same twinge when seeing the pics, with you that close, and logs that big, and that high. Like you said, the boys need a Dad.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

OH, now I see the picture your speaking of. Yeah that one is a little misleading. The angle of the shot makes it appear as though I am in the direct line of impact if it where to let go. If you look closely I am just forward of the outrigger cylinder, which is 12" or so from the FRONT of the bed, and the boom is extended 2x to the rear.  I understand now what your speaking of as far as the tongs, that does "look bad".

Ironwood

Here are pics of that log milled.

4genlgr

I have alot of seat time with prentice A-frame loaders F model, 110, and 120. the first two had the stick boom cylinder on top of the main boom connected to the stick by a linkage plate. on the 110 i had the hole in one end of that plate break and let go as i was picking it up after putting some wood on a pile, after that it would sometimes cross my mind about how far a log would send me if it broke with a load in the bucket.Especially with the last few logs to finish a load and i was looking at the end of a 150 bdft white pine :). there were times when loading logs i'd end up with the grapple on a log about where your tongs are, trying to place it instead of droping it in place, even with some tabs for extra grip the log could silp and fall.  i realize the tongs have fairly long points to get through the bark and as long as they don't break out their still trying to bite with weight on them.
as far as the cross loading, wide load - narrow base = top heavy

stay safe!  i liked the log arch trailer. does your crane have good pulling power to bring logs to you?

Ironwood

The crane will lift 2000#. As far as pulling, I havent done much of that yet. I did try to pull a 4500 lb 22' tree up the hill to the crawler (over the rear of the bed, so not tip the machine), it would just stand the unit on the rear of the track. So, I cut it in half (about 1700# chunk) which did drag it up the hill. The butt is the one I cross loaded, it was 12' and got peeled for a support column in a home.

Ironwood

Ironwood

Frickman

The first time I met Ironwood in person he was buying some logs off one of my jobs. He loaded them with a crane and tongs. As someone who grew up with knuckleboom loaders with grapples he scared the dickens out of me. He still does.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ironwood

Those knuckles scare me, som dem logs lik GREASED pigs! The one positive note is that you are so far away from them up there on your pedestal.  ;)

Besides dem grapples damage/ bruise  my tender cambium layer  ::). I use my logs a bit different than most, spent 3 hours yesterday pressure washing the bark off my flitch sawn curly slabs ::) One hour to mill, three to gettem clean.  ::)

Ironwood

ohsoloco

Ironwood, I remember you telling me you used a pressure washer to debark.  Are you knocking off most of the bark first, and using it to clean up  ???  The stuff you showed me that you used a pressure washer on looked like the bark just "came off."  Doesn't the pressure washer score the wood?

Ironwood

For me (my furniture work) that cambium layer "communicating" what lies beyond is worth as much as (if not more) than the faceshowing the curl. Yes, you gotta be careful, it can score the wood.

This table has custom made box tube steel legs, pitted and oxidized. I thought pics of these tables were already in my profile, guess not. Stainless legs are scrap from a Jersey yard. 

Ironwood

Hilltop366

Nice tables I do like the looks of mixed materials.

Hey wait a second.... Iron + wood .... I get it now!

Ironwood

Thanks. The bark on and peeled wood is also Ironwood (American Hornbeam) the name works in both arenas.

Ironwood

fishpharmer

I really like your furniture.  Like your yanmar too. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

gjinc

I know this is a old thread, but anyone know where I can get one of these from???
All my searchs come up blank

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Iwawoodwork

About 10 years ago I purchased a similar unit without the crane, called Winbull, very handy, Use to haul my fire wood from the pile to the house. I can stack about a winter weeks of wood in the dump bed. Track wear has been nonexistent. I just used it to haul rocky backfill to a patio that I was building in a tight area. I built a detachable blade for the bed end for light snow removal, have not needed it yet, also built a trailer hitch on the seat/motor end. Used it for pulling some small logs down to the deck area before I purchased the D3 cat. Never had any side tipping issues. Handy machine.

711ac

Quote from: gjinc on September 08, 2020, 07:02:45 PM
I know this is a old thread, but anyone know where I can get one of these from???
All my searchs come up blank
Look on "Iron Planet" or Machinery Trader.com
I've also seen Morooka (spelling?) makes a similar rig but much larger. That little yanmar is a tank.

mike_belben

purplewave and richie bros auctions too. 
Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

JJ Kane just had an auction listing of one on FB market place 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

gjinc

Thanks
The winbull looks a little small. I looked at JJ Kane and only saw a couple 100k + units.
The Morooka's are some nice units, trying to find one in my price range is difficult

Seems like the yanmar's are green units, never imported to the US by the manufacture.

Thank You Sponsors!