iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 55 - Good Bad or Ugly?

Started by Jeff_Green, October 24, 2001, 07:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff_Green

8)  Yes I was on EBAY the other night and saw this Husky 55 chainsaw being sold by a pawnshop as "new in the box" ..... I thought I would just make a low bid to help the auction move along ..... Well I now own this thing! ..... Have I wasted my money? .... I have never heard of a "55" before ..... :'( :-/ :-[

timberuk

I think Im right in saying that a 55 is a semi-pro version of the 254..revs slightly slower, more plastic, but perfectly adequate. I once had a 42, the semi-pro version of the 242, and it was a great little saw, and lasted just as long as my 242.

Good luck

Norman
I don't do it for the money, so it must be for the love.

Kevin

Air Injection
LowVib®
Smart Start™
Cylinder displacement-
3.2 cu. in. (53 cc)
Engine power- 2.5 kW (3.4 hp)
Maximum no-load RPMs- 12,500
Fuel capacity- 1.27 pt (0.60 litres)
Bar oil capacity- 0.63 pt (0.30 litres)
Chain pitch- .325"
Weight w/o bar and chain-
11.4 lbs (5.2 kg)
Power-to-weight ratio kW/kg- .48
Bar length- 20"

Looks like the bottom of the pro series, should be a good saw.

Gordon

It depends on how much you spent, but if you got it cheap then you did well. Be a good saw for limbing and bucking small stuff. Or a real good firewood saw to keep the stock up at the house.

Oh yea, it seems that when i bid on stuff at e-bay I always get out bid. Well almost I got a real nice 272xp off e-bay for a song. Still cutting strong.  8)
Gordon

Tom

I hear you lost out on a Husky 55 the other day Gordon.

Gordon

Small world ain't it. Not only that by a song but a Kubota service manual as well. Win some loose some. But as long as I get it priced very right then all is good. Jeez now you guys have me thinking about bidding on something.  ;D

Gordon

L. Wakefield

yeah, I looked at the 55 when I bought the 51. I liked the idea of the smart start- but they didn't have it in stock, and it was mo money. For all that my previous experience with chainsaws was nightmare start/run (Mcculloghs, Jonsered, and Sears (I think, on that last one- it NEVER start, so I have blocked it out of my mind). All used , all POS, and it was in that time when I couldn't buy ANYTHING new. Nothing new, and knew nothing..The 51 was a major breakthrough. Sweetheart to start- never left me standing yet. Now if I can just stop sawing rocks, I'll really be getting this thing DOWN.

I think those other brands except the Sears(?) are ok if adjusted correctly or more worn out. Sometimes the solution is to GET A NEW ONE. :D      lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

The sears saw I'll bet is a Poulan.  We have 2 little utility saws at work. One is a craftman (sears) which is red and gray. The other is a Montgomery ward. Which is Orange. Both are identical to the lime green Poulan I have out in the barn.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!