iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric motor for a forestry winch? Power?

Started by Satamax, January 05, 2021, 07:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody. 

Well, daft question. How much, a winch like a Uniforest 85H, would take as power need? 

Or a gearmatic 19? 

I might go with a PTO generator, on one of my vehicles. And was wondering if electrifying a 3pt hitch winch made sense? 

Thanks a lot guys! 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

Look at the winch's output power in ft lbs, divide that by the gear ratio inside the winch and youll get your input torque required.  Now see if you can find a DC electric motor to affordably meet that requirement and also be fast enough to have any hope of a decent line speed.  

24v will take a lot less wire gauge than 12v.   But either will be tough on batteries and charging system.

I would go hydraulic or chain direct via PTO if there was any option at all before electric. 
Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

Look at duty cycle for any electric motor. Many can put out near capacity only a percentage of the time.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Satamax

Guys, I don't think you got what I am saying. 

I'm talking about a 60 ISH kilowat alternator, on the gearbox PTO. 380/415 vac. 

And a induction three phase motor. 

No 24 volts or anything. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

PoginyHill

Thanks for the clarification. I cannot answer what HP motor might be required. Maybe you can expand on why you would not use the existing power sources of hydraulics or PTO. What is the reason for considering electric? Starting torque might be another consideration with electric motors on this application - if you're pulling something without a little "head start".
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

mike_belben

I dont see the point unless you need the power for some other mobile thingamajig as well. Hate to lose ground from an errant limb and touch a mobile bug zapper. 
Praise The Lord

Stephen

Electric motor hp is a little better than engine hp, but to power a winch built for 50 hp tractor would require 30 hp electric. *numbers may vary by someone more knowledgeable.*
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

Hilltop366

Seems like it would be adding another danger to a already dangerous job. electricuted-smiley

Satamax

Well, the reason behind this is, on my Brimont truck/tractor "thing"

I have 150bar 50l per minute pump on the crankshaft, and that's it. The transfer case PTO is absent, and hard to find. Or nearly impossible.

I can find the PTO for the ZF gearbox far easier. But it's a 1000rpm, more or less. And one way. There is no reverse on that one. But it can power a generator.

Since i have bought an electric firewood processor. And i would like to go mobile.

I need a generator. And it could be interesting to have one tucked in the chassis of my truck.

If the generator is there, why not use it to power a winch?

For the processor,i need, to be safe, a 45kw alternator. I could get by with may be 30. Hence the question. I know i can find a 60kw, 1000 rpm alternator, not crazy expensive. Hence the question. 

Finding the formulas on the net, i could calculate this, for a given winch. But felt a tad lazy! :D

And it has the advantage of being simple to plug. And versatile. I could plug tools in too, on jobs in the mountain, where there is no electricity. 

I could also sell my big stationary generator, and get a 60kw one. All enclosed etc. But that would cost me money. Would need to be loaded, unloaded to each job. If i get back home early and i want to saw, i need to have it with me. Etc

Thank You Sponsors!