Edger

Started by Bruno of NH, August 13, 2019, 05:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Can't get my new edger to cut true curves off 
Any ideas 
I haven't used it much because it makes me mad been edging on the mill 
That's what I got the edger for.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

47sawdust

In feed/out feed dead level?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

moodnacreek

Not an unusual problem. What kind of feed , belts, rollers or chain?

moodnacreek

Oh yeah, spread the saws out and see how a board goes through.

Bruno of NH

Dead level
Feed rollers with chain
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

Check the out feed fence against the fixed blade, make sure it is dead square and at the same distance from the frame as the corresponding face of the blade, if it's not then it is pushing the lumber to the side as it passes by. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

Did you not run it when you first got it?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

It's not cut right from the beginning I thought it might have something to do with the old mill

Sixacresand

Hang in there.  You will figure it out.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Bruno of NH

Boards with a hook or varying width don't sell
Not what I was expecting 

Oliver05262

Bruno, have you asked Darren about the problem? He ought to be able to give you an idea of where to check for alignment of the rolls, the saw arbor and the guides. I suspect as Southside suggested that something is pushing against the board as it exits the edger. Good luck in figuring this out. 
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

moodnacreek

Feed rolls must be parallel with arbor. Any thing on the out feed that drags on  one edge of the board will start a curve.  Also a piece of bark, pitch, etc. caught in a feed roll will do the same. Even an out feed dead roll that is not parallel or high on one side ditto. There are many things; a big knot, one saw very dull, boards too hard or too thick for the feed speed or power . If machine has a small dia. mandrel it will vibrate in tough cuts and shake the board and curve.  A guide light set on the fixed saw is a great help.

Ron Wenrich

Have you changed teeth in the edger blades yet?  I've found that you have to eliminate the problems of other people's saw maintenance practices first.  New teeth will tell you whether its in the saws or in the rolls.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!