iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Cedar?

Started by xlogger, July 20, 2015, 08:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I buy loads of cedar from a local yard and this is the second log lately that I got in a load and not sure if its white cedar or some yard cypress. If its white cedar does it last like red cedar? Here is some pictures of lumber and log. Bark looks like cedar but tighter to the tree.

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Atlantic white cedar grows in the flatwoods near the coast.  It grows in wet swamps.  It is not rare, but it is not commonly found anymore.  It is highly unlikely, given where you are located, that what you have is the native atlantic white cedar.  Probably leyland cypress or some other ornamental. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Any distinctive smell?

The Leyland cypress I've sawn is very pale, and has almost no smell, well compared to Port Orford or Monterrey that I usually saw. I don't think it's as durable as the real cedars, but it seems to saw fine.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

xlogger

I'm thinking the same as WDH. It does not have any smell to it. Wonder if boards are good for anything?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Thank You Sponsors!