iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Rumbling noise around the drive wheel

Started by Tree Dan, July 19, 2019, 06:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Dan

I have a noise around the drive wheel area.
It starts once the auto clutch is engaged.
I took the blade off and the noise stopped.
Changed the blade, and the noise was still there.
I checked for play in the in the drive wheel, and it seems ok.
Guide wheels are turning ok
Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

terrifictimbersllc

Check to see if there are any lumps of sawdust/sap under the drive wheel belt?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

What year, and how many hours on the mill?

Could be the main bearing, check the oil level in it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tree Dan

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on July 19, 2019, 07:17:57 PM
Check to see if there are any lumps of sawdust/sap under the drive wheel belt?
That was it...2 lumps of sawdust stuck to the wheel
Thanks...running like a charm now
TD
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

Both the drive and idler wheels have small balancing holes drilled in the bottom of the groove. Under certain conditions (and rarely) sawdust can pack into one or more of these holes. Sawdust doesn't normally stick to the bottom of the groove, but when the hole is completely filled with sawdust more sawdust can stick to it. Eventually you get a lump under the belt and that stretches the blade just a little every time the lump rolls around. This makes he entire head shake, and it's hard on blades and bearings. 

It's easy to fix but I advise checking to make sure you've cleaned the balancing hole out completely when you remove the lump.

I've only had this happen twice, on two different LT40's, and in both cases it was when I was sawing logs covered with thick, sticky snow. It was the drive side both times.

Now I make it a habit to inspect the balancing holes every time I change a bandwheel belt.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!