iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Windfall Pecans: Firewood or Lumber

Started by ALWOL, November 12, 2012, 10:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALWOL

A good part of last Saturday was spent cleaning up a couple of fairly large pecan trees for a good friend of mine. We needed firewood, and the trees were easily accessed. While cutting the first tree, I noticed the very nice colors and decided to save the best part of the trunk.

It measures 30" at both ends, and is 10' long. Should make some very nice and colorful lumber. I can hardly wait to open it up! There were also a couple of smaller pecans, about 16" that I saved for sawlogs also.
   The rest of the trees turned into firewood.

I was so happy after seeing the nice colored wood, I just wanted to show everyone. I hope it saws as good on the mill as it does with a chainsaw, and is not loded with to much metal.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

Magicman

Pecan does indeed make beautiful lumber.  Clear (no knots) lumber also dries well.  Crotches, etc. will make it behave like a devil.   smiley_devil_trident

Using the firewood in an enclosed heater works well, but it does leave mounds of ashes.  It also pops.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

NWP

BBQ guys like that pecan. You can sell that firewood for a premium if you can find the right person.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

ALWOL

Yes, I noticed while sitting by the fire writing this post that it does do a lot of popping. The smoke also has a very pleasant smell, and it surely can't leave any more ashes than Walnut does!
   The logs appear to be fairly straight-grained, and I had already cut the crotch off before deciding to save it, so no worries there.

Alan

WDH

It likes to dry in waves, so place the stickers no farther apart than 18".
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ALWOL

Well I sawed 'em! They were strait grained, colorful, and very full of metal. Every pas of the saw hit some kind of metal, the record was 18 nails/fence staple in one pass. It still was worth it, only cost about $35.00 for a few new saw bits. Some of the 6/4 boards are 20" wide.

WDH

I would think that all that metal in the wood would wreck a planer.  How do you plan to use it?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've always said, if they would invent siding with the nails already in them.....somebody would get rich.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

GF

Make sure you sterilize it in a kiln, more than likely you will start seeing little small holes from little critters showing up if you dont. 

chopperdr47

"Back in the day" they would drive nails in them to increase pecan production. Long before I had my mill, I had bought two pecan logs from a sawyer that he had already checked thoroughly with a high dollar metal detector. He told me that he usually didnt by pecan (from the tree removers) for that reason. These were not the butt log and he kept checking as he sawed. I got some really nice wood that I made step treads for a spiral staircase out of.
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

ALWOL

If I have to plane any of these, I guess the nails will have to be driven out. Most of the lumber is being made into nest boxes for rabbits. For some reason the rabbits don't chew on the hickory or pecan like they do on the pine and oak.

Thank You Sponsors!