iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which maple is this

Started by WhitePineJunky, September 24, 2023, 07:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhitePineJunky

These maples are planted around town on lawns and such, they're producing good seeds so I stopped and grabbed a couple. Any ideas? 

beenthere

Some pics of what they look like planted around town. But maple is a good call at this point. 

If the seeds will sprout, that is the best test of a "good" seed.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: beenthere on September 24, 2023, 11:20:24 AM
Some pics of what they look like planted around town. But maple is a good call at this point.

If the seeds will sprout, that is the best test of a "good" seed.  ;)
I'm thinking they're native to Europe lots of old trees settlers planted

WhitePineJunky

Best I can tell syncamore maple

Ianab

Quote from: WhitePineJunky on September 24, 2023, 12:34:03 PM
Sure looks like it. We have them here in NZ and they are almost an invasive. The wings on the seeds means the wind can spread them easily.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: Ianab on September 24, 2023, 02:10:38 PM
Quote from: WhitePineJunky on September 24, 2023, 12:34:03 PM
Sure looks like it. We have them here in NZ and they are almost an invasive. The wings on the seeds means the wind can spread them easily.
They are everywhere where the bigger trees are they must be pretty successful on reproducing

SwampDonkey

Probably a good bet. Up this way everyone plants Norway maple in towns and yards. They especially like the crimson ones, they are red during summer and actually turn yellow in fall. There are many varieties, some are dark green, some light green leaves. They have a milky sap on the end of the leaf petiole when you dislodge it from the tree.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 24, 2023, 04:31:42 PM
Probably a good bet. Up this way everyone plants Norway maple in towns and yards. They especially like the crimson ones, they are red during summer and actually turn yellow in fall. There are many varieties, some are dark green, some light green leaves. They have a milky sap on the end of the leaf petiole when you dislodge it from the tree.
There are some Norway maple around here too. Really all kinds of exotic trees near old settlements

SwampDonkey

Yes, bristly locust and black locust were popular around old homesteads in these parts. Bristly locust, they called acacia around here. They were never that winter hardy. Manitoba maple (box elder) was popular, and not native to New Brunswick. It to suffers a little from winter damage. But it has taken off as a weed in the river valley.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 25, 2023, 05:21:24 AM
Yes, bristly locust and black locust were popular around old homesteads in these parts. Bristly locust, they called acacia around here. They were never that winter hardy. Manitoba maple (box elder) was popular, and not native to New Brunswick. It to suffers a little from winter damage. But it has taken off as a weed in the river valley.
We have the old locust too, they grow big, I'm not sure which type of locust but most likely bristly as I notice they grow lots of tiny limbs sort of like epicormic(?) sprouts 

KEC

The Norway Maple has somewhat bigger, broader leaves than Sugar Maple and norway has a bark pattern somewhat like ash. It is decent firewood. I would try to discourage allowing it to run wild. Any that start growing around my yard get the brush lopper at grade level treatment.

Ron Wenrich

I had a few wild grown Norway maples come into the mill.  They sawed well, had very little defect and made good lumber.  No Ambrosia beetle, which can be a defect in the commercial markets.  There is a grade of WHND (worm hole no defect), but prices are lower and fewer buyers.  If I recall, we sent it out with some soft maple and got no pushback from the buyer.  We don't get much hard maple in my area.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

Norway and silver maple are primarily urban trees here.
~Ron

KEC

Norway maple, I think, is reasonably strong wood, but brittle.

Ron Wenrich

The few that you do find are on the fringe areas and not deep forest.  I have a couple growing along an old road and train tracks in a small wooded area.  There's probably a few in some of the older homes in the town which is 1-2 miles away to provide a seed source.

I remember my forest ecology prof saying that eventually all species will be world wide due to the travels of man.  That was 1970.  Since then, we've seen a whole invasion of species to the US thanks to our trade practices and landscaping practices.  Some were good, some were devastating. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Most exotics don't escape far here, Manitoba maple would never survive the wild here. It doesn't get tall enough. Needs open for light. Most exotics are not tough enough for the climate, add competition stress and they are toast. You always get a bunch of escaped Norways around towns, same can be said for black locust. Give them much competition and they die off.

WhitePineJunky

I will plant these seeds and im not worrying about them taking over as I’m completely surrounding them with 10s of thousands of white pine seedlings lol

Should I hold onto the seeds over winter or plant them now? I’m assuming spring

beenthere

I'd just lay them on the ground this fall, at most with some duff lightly over them. That would be the most normal way they sprout. Winter climate helps the normal process. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

KEC

Might end up feeding mice. >:(

SwampDonkey

Mice love maple seeds. I remember one fall working and driving through a maple grove in the dark. Mice everywhere on the road with cheeks full of maple seeds. Not just one crossing here and there, hordes.  :D

Best burry them seed somehow. They will need to be outdoors to cold stratify, to break dormancy. I tried broadcasting seed one fall in an open meadow, maybe got one to grow. Rodents probably got most. :D 

KEC

Something I learned doing wildlife control is that the deer/white-footed mice will get into a house and gravitate to the attic. They go out onto the roof at night, drink from the rain gutters and gather the tree seeds that are all over the roof. They never have to come down to grade level. Not to get off topic, but if you have such a problem, set traps on the roof.

Brad_bb

Do they have box elder up there?  Are there new shots (like 3/8" thick) that are dark green?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!