iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Want log arch - can't weld

Started by Draco, September 25, 2012, 04:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

36 coupe

Quote from: gimpy on August 12, 2014, 10:03:58 PM
Anyone got any plans for a log arch or know a source for them. I'd like to build/weld my own but need some plans.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.
Mother Earth News sep/oct 85 has a plan.Needs to be built heavier though.

gimpy

My 300+ acres has about an 18 inch elevation change. Flat and most of the year it's just dusty. Absolutely no challenges for skidding. At the moment, I use the scraper bucket on the back of the JD210 with a choker to get what I need moved. But a log arch would make it easier to get it from one end to the other. Plus it'd make it easier on the blade of the mill to git it off the ground.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Compensation

Gimpy, this place is a goldmine for ideas.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,68823.0.html
Don't know if this link will work but if you need measurements just holler.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

maple flats

For off road, do you have a 3 point hitch tractor? I use a 3 P.H. log arch on easier logs up to about 24" diam. The tractor lifts the leading end and hold it up while the tractor pulls. On heavier logs a second chain from the bottom of the log to the fixed draw bar is advisable so your pull is from below the axle for stability. I used to use a 20 HP 4x4 tractor and I have no hills, it was tippy , I had to go quite slow and I had lots of extra weight on the front. Then I got a 25 HP with loader. Much better. I loaded the bucket with some good weight. Now I use an 8000# excavator and pull most trees full length, after removing the small branches. When I have longer pulls for logs I still use the arch, but it now goes on my 36 HP tractor, and I still add weight to the loader. Drive slow and be aware of potential snags (stumps, trees, boulders, large roots etc) that can flip a tractor.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

gimpy

Quote from: Compensation on August 17, 2014, 02:50:42 AM
Gimpy, this place is a goldmine for ideas.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,68823.0.html

Compensation,

That's what I'm talking about. I can do it from here. Thanks for the help and nice job.
Gimpy old man

gimpy

Quote from: maple flats on August 17, 2014, 08:11:54 AM
For off road, do you have a 3 point hitch tractor?

I don't have a 3 pt hitch vehicle, yet. But I have a Polaris Ranger 700, a Polaris 800 ATV and a JD 210LE. I think the arch above will do the trick. Plus it'll be a great project for this winter.
Gimpy old man

Thank You Sponsors!