iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what to replace 16 " 011 with ?

Started by CUT N RUN, November 16, 2020, 06:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CUT N RUN

i,m looking at the ms 250. these r on sale for $300 , stock with 18 bar, dealer said he would change bar to a 16 for me at the cost of new sprocket.  ( i have a 20" 036 pro , and a tanaka 12" )  anyones thoughts on a this ( or better ) replacement would b appreciated. 1 reason i,m questioning the 250 is its been available a long time. when will they quit making it ? repair parts seem to dry up after  production run stops. this is the reason my 011 (s) r being retired.  i havent researched other brands yet. ( the 011 is a 2.5 cubic inch motor and i dont want to go smaller ) thanx in advance

Happysawer

Are they meaning your dealer sure it needs a new sprocket, i put a 16" bar and chain on my cm 211, that came with a 18" bar just was told it used the same spocket and it works great.

CUT N RUN

Quote from: Happysawer on November 16, 2020, 07:33:24 AM
Are they meaning your dealer sure it needs a new sprocket, i put a 16" bar and chain on my cm 211, that came with a 18" bar just was told it used the same spocket and it works great.

CUT N RUN

250 comes stock with 325 chain, i have a plethora of 3/8 chains i would love to b able to run ,so i was told sprocket is needed

Happysawer

Quote from: CUT N RUN on November 16, 2020, 07:42:40 AM
250 comes stock with 325 chain, i have a plethora of 3/8 chains i would love to b able to run ,so i was told sprocket is needed
when i bought my CM211 i was told it had a 16" bar setup on it, i asked for an 18" bar, and they just put the 18" bar on it and i used it with no problems or signs of uneven wear on sprocket.
When i asked to now put a 16" bar on the CM211, i asked my dealers parts people if i needed to make any changes before using it with the new 16" bar they said none were needed.
So far i have had no problems with the new setup, and have noticed no uneven wear on the sprocket.

sawguy21

The MS250 will happily ron 3/8lp chain but yes, you need to change the sprocket. Eventually repaair parts do dry up for discontinued product but the 250 is so popular you should not have to worry about it for a long time. The 011 was dropped because it did not meet emission standards.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Happysawer

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 16, 2020, 12:01:44 PM
The MS250 will happily ron 3/8lp chain but yes, you need to change the sprocket. Eventually repaair parts do dry up for discontinued product but the 250 is so popular you should not have to worry about it for a long time. The 011 was dropped because it did not meet emission standards.
My CM211 does not have adjustable chain oil control, and i at first did not think chain was getting enought oil, spoke to Sthil Support they informed me because of the EPA mandate regarding the oil, so they set it at a very low rate.
After wicking it hard aiming bar at a white paper plate i saw signs of oil.
The CM261 has the adjustable oiler and i can get a lot of oil as needed on the chain.

CUT N RUN

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 16, 2020, 12:01:44 PM
next problem , do you know of a way to figure drive link count ?  ( i,m afraid i,ll over aggravate my dealer if i call him back on that one !!!)

Happysawer

Technical Question for Sthil Customer Support.

I have a Sthil CM261 C-M bought with a 18" Bar and Chain, i also bought a sthil CM 211 with a 18" Bar and Chain. I now want to put a 16" Bar and Chain on my Sthil CM 211 will i have to change sprockets?

===========
This should answer the question as to the need to change sprokets on your Sthil Chain Saw.
===========
Sthil's Customer Support Answer.

We are in receipt of and thank you for your email.( No you will not have to change the sprocket, just the bar and chain.)

Thank you again for contacting STIHL.

sawguy21

??? The MS211 is equipped with 61PM chain, 3/8 lo pro. The MS250 comes with .325 unless otherwise specified so the sprocket definitely needs to be changed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Happysawer

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 17, 2020, 10:21:40 AM
??? The MS211 is equipped with 61PM chain, 3/8 lo pro. The MS250 comes with .325 unless otherwise specified so the sprocket definitely needs to be changed.
Technical Question for Sthil Customer Support.

I have a Sthil CM261 C-M bought with a 18" Bar and Chain, i also bought a sthil CM 211 with a 18" Bar and Chain. I now want to put a 16" Bar and Chain on my Sthil CM 211 will i have to change sprockets?

===========
This should answer the question as to the need to change sprokets on your Sthil Chain Saw.
===========
Sthil's Customer Support Answer.

We are in receipt of and thank you for your email.( No you will not have to change the sprocket, just the bar and chain.)

Thank you again for contacting STIHL.

Iwawoodwork

Happy saw guy.  You can either take some unknown person(male or female) response and possibly ruin both a sprocket and chain or you can take the info from professionals like sawguy and at least lay the two saw chains side by side, if one is .325 and the other is 3/8 the difference is noticeable.

Happysawer

Quote from: Iwawoodwork on November 17, 2020, 10:58:59 AM
Happy saw guy.  You can either take some unknown person(male or female) response and possibly ruin both a sprocket and chain or you can take the info from professionals like sawguy and at least lay the two saw chains side by side, if one is .325 and the other is 3/8 the difference is noticeable.
The reply came from the Sthil customer support, are you implying their people are unknown?
I just did not include the persons name in my post, anyone can also contact Sthil support by going to their contact site on their web site.
Also i am in no way trying to demean anyone on this forum, i am just posting what i was informed by Sthil.
I installed a Sthil 16" bar& Sthil 16" chain, on my Sthil CM211, that had a Sthil 18" Bar& Sthil 18" chain when bought new and it is running smoothly with no problems.

I am just guessing .05 difference does did not require Sthil to make a diffrent sprocket.

doc henderson

there may confusion in what you are doing.  are you wanting to change the pitch of the chain,  i.e. from 3/8th lp to 0.325?  then I think you will.  the way the question was asked, it could be interpreted that the pitch is not changing.  I think I would go to you dealer with the saw, and what ever else you already have, and lay it on the counter, and have them show you what and why.  I have a sharpening chart with all the specs for the different pitch and gage chain.  the sprocket may have different spacing, and also be a different style.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

do you have bulk chain, or loops used?  what do you use the saw for.  do you mean 3/8 lp or standard 3/8ths.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

gspren

@Happysawer, to clarify this for you, you asked if the sprocket needed changed because of a change in bar length and they correctly said no. The original poster @CUT N RUN, asked about changing the sprocket because of changing the bar length and pitch, he needs to change the sprocket because of the change in pitch from .325 to .375 (3/8) not the bar length.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Tacotodd

As I'm sure quite a few on the chainsaw "hangout" section know, the same (according to Oregon) link count on a 100' roll of 3/8lp as well as 3/8 std. 1640 if I remember correctly.
Trying harder everyday.

Tacotodd

@CUT N RUN , if you can give the driver count # of what your current chain is, then you CAN come up with the number of drivers on whatever (ANY size) chain you want. The saw might not pull it effectively, built can be done. For a ridiculous example, (to express my point) .325 to .404, with minor extrapolation 84 link of .325 is 4.54'. 67 link of .404 is 4.53'.
Trying harder everyday.

Tacotodd

BTW, I'm coming up with my numbers out of the 2018 Oregon Master Catalog.
Trying harder everyday.

CUT N RUN

Quote from: Tacotodd on November 17, 2020, 12:47:57 PM
@CUT N RUN , if you can give the driver count # of what your current chain is, then you CAN come up with the number of drivers on whatever (ANY size) chain you want. The saw might not pull it effectively, built can be done. For a ridiculous example, (to express my point) .325 to .404, with minor extrapolation 84 link of .325 is 4.54'. 67 link of .404 is 4.53'.
55 d.l. = 16 " bar ,stihl  63pm.... oregon 91....
and yes , for all concerned , i am changing pitch , if i get the 250,  from 325 -to 3/8--- 63pm...( the reason again is i have a whole bunch of these sized chains )

Happysawer

Quote from: gspren on November 17, 2020, 12:24:16 PM
@Happysawer, to clarify this for you, you asked if the sprocket needed changed because of a change in bar length and they correctly said no. The original poster @CUT N RUN, asked about changing the sprocket because of changing the bar length and pitch, he needs to change the sprocket because of the change in pitch from .325 to .375 (3/8) not the bar length.
If you look at both the sprockets on the CM211 and CM261 you will see why Sthil is saying you won't need a new sprocket.
T
he CN211 has the chain being driven on the outside by external tooth sprocket.
The CM261 has the chain being driven on the inside of the sprocket.
Both chainsaws have completely different type sprockets, you can use the same chains on each, because of one being external and the other internal.
You would have to see them to really understand just what i am trying to explain, but where the chains drive teeth interface with both sprockets they are the same spacing.
This is the reason Sthil said you don't need replacing the CM211 sprocket.

CUT N RUN

Quote from: doc henderson on November 17, 2020, 12:16:10 PM
do you have bulk chain, or loops used?  what do you use the saw for.  do you mean 3/8 lp or standard 3/8ths.
3/8 picco  -  i have several brand new stihl loops , probly 20ish 3/4 life left or better , and at least 10 others.
i,m cutting downed trees , standing dead trees , trimming others. here in ohio its been a race to cut the ash because of the bug thing. most cutting is done on a 35 acre farm i help manage , that is about 1/2 woods. i,m feeding 3 woodburners., and sell a bit, if i can. oh , and the gf likes her jd n coke sitting next to a good camp type fire !

doc henderson

so the pitch is the same, does the 3/8 p kick out the wood for you.  I have that on my pole saw, and it has small cutters.  

CUT N RUN

Quote from: doc henderson on November 17, 2020, 02:40:20 PM
so the pitch is the same, does the 3/8 p kick out the wood for you.  I have that on my pole saw, and it has small cutters.  
it can kick a bit if you go at smaller  branches to low of a rpm. I own a foley bench grinder , and when i was learning to sharpen , i cut the depth gauges way way too low on a few chains . those were dangerous , but , cut real quick with the saw wound up....

Tacotodd

C N R, bear with me, I'm going to answer @docs question 1st.

No, it doesn't, reason being: Power! I've HEARD of a 3/8lp chain with skip tooth, but upon close examination, it is regular 3/8 skip. It shouldn't, but this saw shouldn't have either! According to the information that I've dug up so far, in normal crosscut fashion.325 will not hold up. This is what is being said to me at my local saw shop. Oregon says other. They have a definite lack of interest in the situation, so...

C N R, 63PM = 91VXL = Round ground semi chisel fullcomp chain, BTW Buckin Billy Ray is wrong in his say that full comp IS full house. Full house has 0=ZERO empty space between cutters. Full comp is normal. 3/8 55DL is 3.36', .325 55DL is 2.97'. 
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!