iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End of season E2400 pics

Started by boilerman101, April 23, 2011, 11:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boilerman101

I hope this picture thing works. Shut down my E2400 for the season today. Everything cleaned up great. No signs of corrosion in the firebox anywhere. I never had to clean any ash out of the 2 vertical exchangers all year...couldn't be easier...this seems to be a better design than my buddies 2300 with the 6 turbulators. End of season shut down takes a little longer than my CL5648 used to, but the wood savings are worth it.

Still looks good after 2 seasons. Will clean above door when I get the garden hose out.

Firebox looks good. No signs of corrosion anywhere.
Door seal still soft and plyable. Should be good to go for year 3

The 2 exchangers collected no ash or creosote all season.

Reaction chamber cleaned out. Oops looks like I pushed little ash down in the center of the firebrick after I had cleaned.

Chimney capped for season. Bucket screwed to a 10' 2x2. I can cap from the ground!

thecfarm

Put it to bed for another season.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dean186

It is nice to see some photos of the 2400, since I have yet to see one in person.  Thanks for posting them.

So, if I understand your comment, you put a bucket over the chimney pipe?  I use the the stainless cap that came with the stove, which requires a ladder.  It would be easier to lift a bucket up and over the top from the ground with a pole.

boilerman101

Correct. The dealer that sold me my original Classic showed me that trick and I've used it every summer since. Stick hangs down the back so you really don't see it from the front side and you don't have to risk life and limb on a ladder. 8) Just a regular 5 gallon bucket. After I scrape and shovel, I use my shop vac to vacuum the powder ash out of the area behind the chimney tee, the reaction chamber and firebox itself, then hang the bucket. Time to go eat some Easter ham.

albirk

Dean if you have a peice of one inch conduit flatten the end drill three holes in it and the bucket 1/4" ss bolts and washers and slip it over the top from the ground then take a wire tie and strap it to the handle on the chimney clean out the bucket is good for 3to4 years

doctorb

I take it the standard chimney cap is not enough to prevent some water from getting in and you prefer the upsidedown bucket!  Will the bucket fit over the chimney cap or do you have to take it off, or maybe you burn without one?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

pulse

Quote from: boilerman101 on April 23, 2011, 11:59:59 PM

I hope this picture thing works. Shut down my E2400 for the season today. Everything cleaned up great. No signs of corrosion in the firebox anywhere. I never had to clean any ash out of the 2 vertical exchangers all year...couldn't be easier...this seems to be a better design than my buddies 2300 with the 6 turbulators. End of season shut down takes a little longer than my CL5648 used to, but the wood savings are worth it.

I have been considering an upgrade to the eclassic and just curious, how long did you use your 5648? What do you see for "real world" wood savings from the 5648 to the 2400? Does it take you longer to process your wood for the 2400? Do you have to spend more time cutting smaller pieces and splitting?  

boilerman101

Good questions Pulse.
Both are great units. I ran the CL5648 for 6 years and it never let me down. Nothing but good things to say about it and its new owner is still very pleased with it. I'd say I am easily burning 1/3 less wood in the E2400, which met the CB claims.  I keep my wood pile about 2 ft lengths and 4" to 14" rounds, if larger than that I split it. I've burned oak and ash. Both worked good. Burned smaller stuff at first but found I could burn larger stuff just fine, but can lose the coal bed if you don't mix some smaller stuff in with it.  If you can get a year of seasoning on the wood it performs the best, but I have cut in the spring and burned that following winter too with good results. I don't mind the maintenence on the 2400 at all, not that much more than what I did on my Classic, just don't let the coal bed get too deep.  Sounds from forum member comments that the E2300 must take a little more effort than what I've experienced with the 2400. Have not experienced any problems and burns with very little visible smoke. Bottom line I'm impressed and very satisfied with it.

Thank You Sponsors!