iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swing millers in the Northeast

Started by ex-Engineer Wannabe, January 22, 2007, 01:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Howdy to the board!  :)

Since being displaced by the storms of '05, my wife and I have been deeply involved with grinding ahead with plans for a new home in the Northeast.  Although the land acquisition phase of the process has proven to be a considerable challenge in and of itself at times, we still keep the faith and try to remain as focused as the latest challenge will allow. 

After dealing with the latest group of small town government officials, we find ourselves in yet another struggle to build on a parcel of land suitable for our purposes.  Feeling a bit low about the prospect of this latest proposition, I decided to take it easy over the weekend and catch up on my research.  While doing so, I came upon a weblog that was created by a man that set out to do the same thing – build his own home by employing his own wits and his own resources.

Once the hook was set, I decided to start from the beginning of the "blog" and proceed from there.  After linking over to the first series of posts in this journal, I quickly came upon a post that featured, humble as it is, a letter I wrote to the man some months ago.  As sorry as it reads, I forgot about writing that letter – which I am truly ashamed of.  Nevertheless, I am also very honored to be included in some small way in the author's efforts to document his dream.  As the author also credited me [most very kindly] with helping to inspire his journalistic efforts in the first place, I am on a bit of a high right now despite our problems.  In short, I've decided to think of this latest discovery as a very good omen for us.

As the land we've been hiking lately is rugged hardwood country, I've shifted my mill research a bit more toward the swing mill side of the house.  Consequently, I'd like to ask any of our swing mill operators in the northeast if they wouldn't mind sharing.  As I've only spent time around the old circle mills I grew up around in the south, as well as a few bandmills in the same locale, I've never had the opportunity to actually see a swing mill in action.  Yep, I've seen the videos produced by various manufacturers, but nothing – as many of you already know – comes close to actually taking part in milling a log in person [even if it's only to watch].  Our plans are to raise a timber frame in western Mass [it's a long story ;)] and, because of this, we make regular trips out that way as part of our search.  Considering the fact that we already travel quite a bit in this regard, I'd consider venturing a bit farther out if need be.  Anyway, I'd appreciate it very much if anyone might be kind enough to share with us.

Have a great one,
Bill  :)   
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

scsmith42

Bill, if you're in the Northeast you need to hook up with Craig Blake at Timberpro.  He is the swingmiller extraordinaire, and is on the forum under the moniker of "Captain". 

Seek him out and spend a day with him - you will not regret it.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

What Scott said!  I bet Captain will be piping up on this thread as soon as he sees it. ;)

Bill, I'm sure that finding that note was a real lift for you.  You can use all the lifting you can get after all the "opportunities" life has handed you lately.  I'm glad you're still with us.  Keep us posted on your progress. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Captain

It may be time for another session of Swingmill 101.  OK, who wants to come?? :)

Kevin

Is the north east up around Sault, Ontario?  ???

Captain

Kevin, we can do one there too  :)  How 'bout ON the ice??  THAT is something I've not done YET.

Captain

JimBuis

Can you do one in Tokyo too?  I can pick you up at the airport and everything.  I'm just that kind of guy. ;D

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!