iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

There's no place like home

Started by drobertson, October 07, 2013, 08:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

"There's no place like Home"   This could very well be the biggest no brainer known to man.  And after being gone for a week I again was able to revisit this magnificent feeling.  Driving nearly 14 hours with someone I had never met had all the potential for some awkward situations. But this could not have been farther from the truth, Dave Boyt picked my up and we made the trip to Ohio for the 2013 Paul Bunyan Show.  What I experienced was a man that could have very well been my big brother.  So many things we have in common from our childhood, and yet new and different things shared that allowed room for learning as well.  Meeting the publisher of the  Independent Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine, Walter  A., his sister Yvonne, and Logboy,JR, all of which added to a very rewarding experience.  We together set up for the   Great Sawmill Shoot-Out.
An event that has the potential of many unexpected set backs, but for this show, nothing but smooth sailing.
From meeting with the event coordinators and staff, to meeting the representatives of the competing manufacturers, this was a perfect setting.  Discounting a few brief down pours, the show went without a hitch.
I found that most everyone shared the same desire to share friendships and enjoy the moment for what it is.
The trip home was smooth mostly uneventful, not counting the jam up on I-71, nearly an hour stuck, we pulled out, re-calculated, and saw some wonderful upper Kentucky country side. After hooking back up on I-71, Dave and I could not escape the thought of  "did we go far enough around?"  What will we find?  Coming up to the over pass not knowing what we would see, we both high fived! and empty south bound, only to be followed by a saddening feeling of what the accident must left in its wake.  Feeling sorrowful for the ones involved and thankful for our safe trip we traveled on.  Making it to my home just before dark, greeted by a happy tail wagging friend and hungry chickens, we unloaded my gear, a hand shake and a big deep breath.  Dave had another 2+ hours to go before he could enter the feeling I was now enjoying,
Home Sweet Home,  is there a better one?  Maybe so, but its' these moments that make me appreciate all that  life has to offer, new friendships made, with another memory to store.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ET

David, very nice description of the Paul Bunyan and friends. I'm sorry i did not get to meet you but I agree that the atmosphere surrounding the show was great. Everyone was friendly and courteous. This was only our 2nd time attending and im sure it wont be our last. Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

samandothers

Great story and post, well written.  Thank you

thecfarm

I had a guy come up to buy some veggies at the stand. He left after an hour.  :D  He was doing just about the same thing that I am doing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

Great post, David. Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

Allan

Chuck White

Sounds like a great time for both of you!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!