iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping Container

Started by TroyC, January 14, 2021, 09:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyC

Thanks for all the replies, everything is helpful.

I did not mean for this to be taken as a 'wanted ad'. I was hoping to learn how other members' experiences with containers could possibly save me a big headache based on what I've discovered so far. I'm interested in types of paint on them also. Thought of oil based enamel using airless sprayer but I imagine clean-up would be a disaster with oil based paint.

Please move/edit/delete original post if it is not appropriate or in the correct area.

Tom King

Cleanup is not That bad with oil based, but you have to run thinner through it.  I don't think I've run oil based through my airless rig in over 20 years.  

With that said, I'm planning to paint my container with Sherwin-Williams Industrial Enamel, like they paint water tanks with.  I priced it a few weeks ago, and it was $218 for a five gallon can.

btulloh

Get a $17 hvlp gun from HF and throw it away when done. 
HM126

Tom King

The good thing about airless, for such jobs, is that you can use a long extension, and only need a ladder to get on the roof.  It's also Really fast.

btulloh

Maybe a dumb question, but do any of the lower priced airless sprayers work ok, or do you need something decent like a Graco?  Anybody know of the HF Airless is sort of ok for occasional jobs?
HM126

doc henderson

I paid 164 bucks with a coupon for the harbor freight one, still works after two years of spraying anchorseal.  my 500 dollar professional one does not.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Tom King

I've only ever bought one, so not much experience on different ones.  That one was new sometime in the early '90's.  

I did replace the gun a few years back, when they came out with newer ones with lighter triggers.  My old one was a four finger gun, and you needed all of them.  The newer one is a two finger trigger, which gives you a lot more control with the gun inside cabinets, and such, since you're holding the gun more securely with the other two fingers.

I had bought an air assisted airless rig, soon after Graco came out with them, but then they started making Fine Finish tips for regular airless.  I tried one of them, and sold that AAA as soon as I could.  Since then, they've come out with  Fine Finish Low Pressure tips, and that raises the game to another level.  You don't need those for spraying a shipping container, but they're amazing for work in a house, or any other small job you want to paint, like a piece of furniture.

If you go as far as getting one that will run a FFLP tip, do yourself a favor, and buy a pressure gauge for the line.  If you don't, you'll waste a half gallon of paint until you ever get the pressure low enough.

Graco, and Titan use the same threads.  I put a Titan gauge on my old Graco pump, right where the line attaches to the pump.  Set the pressure in the green zone, and you should be good to go with FFLP.

aigheadish

I know we're getting off topic here but do you guys paint a room with these airless sprayers? I have no experience with anything like that but I'm currently painting my workshop wall and it sucks! 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Tom King

If the walls, and trim are getting the same thing, I'll use the airless.  Otherwise, it's too much trouble to mask everything off, unless doing a whole new house, with no furniture in it.

Find youtube videos of the Idaho Painter, and you will learn all you want to about airless spraying.

doc henderson

I have used them on interior new construction, but before trim is on to prime sheet rock.  often roll after.  it goes fast.  a good paint team has a guy with a roller or sprayer, and a guy that can cut in.  used one for an out house at camp with opaque stain.  goes fast.  I have one that stays full of anchorseal.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

azmtnman

We painted our container with exterior, water-based enamel (I didn't know there was such a thing) from Behr. It was the exact same paint we painted the plywood siding on the house with. It's been on for over a year and a half and still looks and sticking well. We brushed/rolled it on.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

doc henderson

a sprayer is nice for the irregular shaped parts.

azmtnman

Quote from: doc henderson on January 19, 2021, 04:35:41 PM
a sprayer is nice for the irregular shaped parts.
Well, I had a dozen high school kids!  :D :D :D If it had been just me, I definitely would have used a sprayer!
  BTW, the Behr paint we used was paint and primer all-in-one. 
   With all the crap products made nowadays, I think Behr paint (I don't sell it or get any money for endorsement  :D) is making great paint.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

TroyC

The paint and primer all in one is a good idea. I'll check into that soon as I go to paint store.
Water based would be great for cleanup but I've always thought oil enamel was the go-to for longevity.
I was thinking the airless for the container as I am planning to paint my house and plan to buy a new Graco. Only used an airless once before and I was surprised how much paint it took to do the house compared to rollers. It was fast!

Thanks for the ideas! I'm still figuring and planning.........

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

mike_belben

It fails to mention the effect of US money printing to pass out all that stimulus.  With about 35% dilution from covid, china is not gonna accept the same payment for freight services, that would be stupid.

Praise The Lord

TroyC

Well, updating this post......

Decided to wait on container. Got another bid couple weeks ago, price went up almost 50% since November.  :embarassed:

Got the airless Graco, had to paint my house last week. Sprayer worked flawlessly and was not too bad to clean with latex paint. It will be perfect for painting the container if I end up with one. Decided on the latex paint and primer in one with a Kilz Kleer sealer over the metal first.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. As always, TFF is a wealth of information!

Thank You Sponsors!