iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1980s GMC 7000 repower

Started by NHtreefarmahfan, January 15, 2021, 01:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHtreefarmahfan

Hey guys was wondering if anyone has experience repowering a GMC 7000? These trucks are plentiful and cheap in my area but I'm not a fan of the 8.2 DD. I feel like a 427 gas swap would be straight forward because they came in this model truck but I'd probably have to change the axle ratio right? But if I wanted to stick with diesel what would you guys think would work best? 
1965 JD 350 logger special "Johnny Boy"

barbender

I just sold my 97 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins to a kid for $1500. I had a Ford F700 truck at one job I had powered by the same engine, it had plenty of power for that application👍
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

A truck with a better engine already in it. I know thats not what you want to hear but its good advice most of the time.  Doesnt mean you can afford it, i know.  Story of my life.  

Anything with an inline 6 and bosch inline injection pump is pretty dang good.   Ford F600+ and the louisville line is plentiful and more likely to have them than a chevy by far. If pump is on passenger side its a "ford brazilian" and they are still fine.  On the driver side its a 6BT or 6CT cummins.  Exceptional.  

More gears the better.  5 speed is not enough imo.  7 speeds have very narrow gates and are easy to miss gears once they wear the shifter parts so pay attention to that.  And those 7 speed spicers are way expensive to rebuild.  A 13 is the same or cheaper to overhaul. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Quote from: barbender on January 15, 2021, 02:14:15 PM
I just sold my 97 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins to a kid for $1500.
Dude if you needed bail money you shoulda just asked. 
Praise The Lord

NHtreefarmahfan

Couldn't agree more on your more gears is better statement there Mike. Luckily this has a 13spd in it ;D. And I know doing a repower is probably not cost effective. But I kinda want the challenge and experience even if it means I'll be eating ramen for a month or two  :D

hedgerow

Quote from: NHtreefarmahfan on January 15, 2021, 01:36:26 PM
Hey guys was wondering if anyone has experience repowering a GMC 7000? These trucks are plentiful and cheap in my area but I'm not a fan of the 8.2 DD. I feel like a 427 gas swap would be straight forward because they came in this model truck but I'd probably have to change the axle ratio right? But if I wanted to stick with diesel what would you guys think would work best?
There were a fair amount of 8.2 diesels around here between our state bought a lot of dump trucks with them and farms bought a lot of twin screw grain trucks with them. If caught early you could get by with head gaskets. But a lot of them got run too far and the blocks were bad. I have in the past repowered a lot of them mostly with 427 Chevy's as you could buy a wreck and you had what you needed. Gearing is a little bit of a problem on a single axle we changed the rearend. On a twin screw we usually took the 13 speed apart and swapped gears around for better gearing. We also did a few 4-53 DD and did a couple 466 IH motors out of wrecked trucks. The slickest one I did for a grain farmer we put a NOS military 5.9 diesel in it and hooked the factory AC back up. Not cheap but made a nice truck. That truck was in the area for years he retired a couple years ago had a farm sale and the truck left the area. 

sawguy21

We had an L700 with the 8.2, I looked after fleet maintenance and hated that engine. I agree the 24 valve 5.9 would be a good choice, current gearing should be fine depending on the application.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Walnut Beast

Quote from: barbender on January 15, 2021, 02:14:15 PM
I just sold my 97 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins to a kid for $1500. I had a Ford F700 truck at one job I had powered by the same engine, it had plenty of power for that application👍
That probably made that kids day. I'm sure he is happy 👍

barbender

It needed work. It still ran good, but had transmission issues. I'd pulled the transfer case and back cover off of the transmission, and there it sat for two years. He wanted it, I said "here's what I think the engines worth". Trying to get some goodies out of the yard😊

NHtreefarmahfan

Hedgerow I'd be very interested in learning what's entailed with the 4-53 and 466. If you remember much about the swaps. If you have the time to write me a message. The truck is a 86 gmc 7000 with a 13spd 

NHtreefarmahfan

And thank you all for your insight. I'm new here and I'm already learning so much and forever grateful.

mike_belben

The dt466C and NGD versions are good engines and a #2 bellhousing is normal on them so the 13speed will bolt up (i put an rtoo9513 on mine) but the pilot tip is larger on the trans than what is in the IH flywheel.  I had to bore mine to fit the "206"  pilot bearing that is standard for a 2" input shaft.  I suppose you could turn the input tip down too.  

Beware.. Just a clutch is about $750.
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

6V53. If you get stopped for smoke, tell em it's in re-gen!                                 Top that Belben.

NHtreefarmahfan

Is the Detroit a pretty "straightforward" swap? I'd assume I'd have to make custom engine mounts. 

snowstorm

that rt613 trans wasnt much when it was new almost as bad as the 8.2 dd. this single axle? a 366 or 427 would fit the best but will not run a loader well if thats what your after. it will do it. 3208 cat as much as i dislike them. if this truck has that f modal prentice on it run 

dgdrls

I can't speak from experience of doing the swap however,

GM chassis with a GM motor,  should be pretty straight forward,

Similar chassis with a 6v92,    smiley_thumbsup

D
Detroit Diesel 6v-92 Grain Truck RETURN!! - YouTube

mike_belben

Quote from: moodnacreek on January 15, 2021, 07:22:16 PM
6V53. If you get stopped for smoke, tell em it's in re-gen!                                 Top that Belben.
In your neck of the woods doug i just tell em arrest me, tow my junk and keep it.  Lets cut to the chase chop chop.  ;D

Kiss my butt Wawayanda town court.  
Praise The Lord

barbender

My experience with the 3208 Cat is, they are a dandy engine that gets great fuel mileage in a single axle. However, in a tandem, they are slobbering gutless engines with a short service life.

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on January 15, 2021, 08:38:54 PM
Quote from: moodnacreek on January 15, 2021, 07:22:16 PM
6V53. If you get stopped for smoke, tell em it's in re-gen!                                 Top that Belben.
In your neck of the woods doug i just tell em arrest me, tow my junk and keep it.  Lets cut to the chase chop chop.  ;D

Kiss my butt Wawayanda town court.  
When you movin back?

hedgerow

Quote from: NHtreefarmahfan on January 15, 2021, 07:02:41 PM
Hedgerow I'd be very interested in learning what's entailed with the 4-53 and 466. If you remember much about the swaps. If you have the time to write me a message. The truck is a 86 gmc 7000 with a 13spd
Not to much to tell on these swaps as both were done from wrecked trucks so we had motor bellhousing  trans and we cut the motor mounts out of the wrecked trucks. Having a complete wreck is the way to go. Saves a lot of time and money. I will say the in line six fills the length of the engine compartment up on those Chevy trucks. Never did one with a 3208 but that would be another choice if you could find a good one. 

mike_belben

QuoteWhen you moving back?

When they extradite me!

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!