iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice road truckers

Started by Woodhauler, June 04, 2012, 06:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Just as stupid as axemen! You can see why Hugh and Rick have to drive there own trucks,they are morons!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

lumberjack48

Their pretty entertaining, you can't drive like that, absolutely ridiculous, Laurel & Hardy 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Woodhauler

Alex is a down to earth guy! Like his way of doing things!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Misfit

You pretty much nailed it Woodhauler. Alex is a good person.

Hugh and Rick are an embarassment to ex-pats like me.  ::)
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Jamie_C

Quote from: Woodhauler on June 04, 2012, 06:30:23 PM
Just as stupid as axemen! You can see why Hugh and Rick have to drive there own trucks,they are morons!

They are of the old school "production at any cost" attitude. Success in business is not about who can "gross" the most money but who can "net" the most. I bet there are plenty of trucks up there that haul half the loads they do and have a profit of over double theirs.

lumberjack48

I don't think Pork Chop well make it, The Rocky-Mt hauler, says hes the best of them all, he'll make it,  if he's as good with people.

If Hugh and Rick make it to pickup the trailers, i wouldn't want to be owner of them.
I can't believe how that truck took that jerking, i would thing it would bust motor mounts.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Raider Bill

What happened to that cute chick Lisa I think her name is?

I hardly ever watch it but saw the one where they jerked the truck out of the snow bank and broke the chain Sunday. Reminded me of the 2 S&S idiots idiots on axemen.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Misfit

Lisa is at the top of the board now in loads hauled since that jerk from Alabama got his butt fired and he went back home.

That other rookie gal (Maya?) is kind of a hottie!  8) I'm glad my wife doesn't look over my shoulder when I'm on this board.  :D
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

SwampDonkey

Instead of making a new thread on this same theme, I figured I'd search and bring up an old one. Here are some old timer 'ice road truckers' in Mack trucks. Without all the high drama of TV. ;D

Arctic Convoy With Giant Mack Trucks - YouTube
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

These guys are crazy! I have traveled logging roads in those conditions, they can have it. I stayed off the ice roads.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

Starmac used to run the ice road up to deadhorse and we kept in touch pretty often but sadly he was sick and i believe may have passed on.    :(
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

WOW!! is right. I am surprised that trailer backed up. But I suppose when you hit the river bottom and have all those drive wheels, things will happen.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I've been to every province here, except I have never ventured up north very far, a lot of the provinces are a real long ways north, and never been up to the Territories. Seen enough of that from the TV. :D One lonely place to make a living. ;) Anyone that ventures up there deserves some respect. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Resonator

When the men were men, and the trucks were trucks. I can't imagine being behind the wheel of a 300,000lb. truck and having it break through the ice.  :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Skip

One of our old mechanics where I used to work (all Macks since the 1920s) used to say, If there is ever a TRUCK made it will be a Mack . :)

Stephen1

That is ice road trucking! Just amazing what man can build and do. 
Was that from the 50's?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Resonator

The project they were building "The Dew Line", was built during the 1950's - 1960's for military defense as early warning of nuclear attack during the cold war. Looking at the cars shown, I would say early 1950's.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

hedgerow

Quote from: Skip on January 22, 2021, 08:34:44 AM
One of our old mechanics where I used to work (all Macks since the 1920s) used to say, If there is ever a TRUCK made it will be a Mack . :)
I started working at a grocery wholesaler as a mechanic during tech school in the late 70's that had a fleet of R model Mack's and they were all Make front to back 237 or 300 engines and five speed Mack transmissions. For a road tractor they were rough riding but they stood up to the abuse of the drivers. We just kept rebuilding those old R models for years. When they went broke twenty five years later most of the Mack's were gone and Freightliner's had taken over. I still miss a good old Mack. I had a Super liner out here on the farm for years shouldn't have sold it. 

SwampDonkey

Let's get'r done boys. 8) Load of wood on the way to Naden Harbour in Haida Gwai (on Graham Island), British Columbia. c. 1996

sawguy21

We were helilogging near Powell River at that time, the off highway loads were unbelievable. 14'bunks stacked as high as the loader would reach and water pouring off the brakes, they were grossing 200,000#! They kept rebuilding and repowering trucks like that which looks like a Hayes HDX, the newer ones were not capable of the weight.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

moodnacreek

Normally I don't watch tv. When Axemen came on my customers pestered me into watching it. I lasted about 10 minutes until some jerk busted a butt trying to cut a tree down. Tv off, back to work.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: hedgerow on January 22, 2021, 10:24:22 AM
Quote from: Skip on January 22, 2021, 08:34:44 AM
I started working at a grocery wholesaler as a mechanic during tech school in the late 70's that had a fleet of R model Mack's and they were all Make front to back 237 or 300 engines and five speed Mack transmissions. For a road tractor they were rough riding but they stood up to the abuse of the drivers. We just kept rebuilding those old R models for years. When they went broke twenty five years later most of the Mack's were gone and Freightliner's had taken over. I still miss a good old Mack. I had a Super liner out here on the farm for years shouldn't have sold it.
A friend had several trucks for awhile. Kenworth Peterbuilt and Mack. He really liked the Mack with the V8 in it. We ended up taking the sleeper of that one and I plasma cut some metal for the rear and painted for a grain hauler

brianJ

Quote from: moodnacreek on January 22, 2021, 01:02:49 PM
Normally I don't watch tv. When Axemen came on my customers pestered me into watching it. I lasted about 10 minutes until some jerk busted a butt trying to cut a tree down. Tv off, back to work.
Right there with you two.   I can feel my brain cells committing suicide while I watch Reality-TV.    Doesnt matter what show.

Skip

The old F model V-8 Macks 5 speed  were awesome IF, you got one that stayed together . I hauled 65,000 on the trl. out of Bridgeport OH. and never dropped a gear on way to Cleveland ;). Old Smith Transport (out of VA) tractor. That motor almost broke them. :D

Thank You Sponsors!