iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smaller red pine to timbers?

Started by countingcarp, October 20, 2009, 10:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countingcarp

Hi everyone
    Looking for someone with some expertise in converting smaller trees into useable timbers. Ive got accsess to about 20 acres of red pine that need to be thined out.  Most of it is around 10 to 15 inches in diameter small end, 15 to 20 foot sections. Was planted in a field and was fast growing.  Maybe 4 inches of heartwood.  Is this workable? any advice about the feasability of building something with these timbers. Ive roughed some out with a chain saw mill and ended up with 61/2 inches square on three sides.  Any advice, pros or cons Thanks, Adam

shinnlinger

You might get a better response in the milling section, but I am trying to figure your question.

Are you asking if you should get better than a  6x out if 15" logs?  I say yes, with practice and STRAIGHT logs you will.  8xs should be consistently possible with 10x not out of the question.

Are you asking if a 6x6 is any good to build with?  There is a table on here somewhere that you can Run the strength numbers on, but many structures have been made with 6x posts.  You can always go for closer spans if you are concerned.

I can't comment on heartwood, but I can say alot of strength can be related to knot placement/grade, and that all depends on the quality of the tree in the first place.

Good luck.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

moosehunter

With red pine, anything smaller than 8x8 will twist. I was told that by an old timer, then tried it myself. Sure enough, all the 6x6s in my building twisted. Not so much as to compromise the integrity of the building, but twist they did!

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

shinnlinger

Is red pine the same as Norwegian pine?????  I have sawn alot of frozen norwegian into 6x7 purlins and they did fine.  they sat in a stickered stack for a bit but I don't recall any issues.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Gary_C

Red Pine is sort of a generic term used in the pulp industry to include Norway, Jack, and Scotch Pines. Most people use the Red Pine name for Norway Pine.

I have heard before that Norway Pine is not suitable for timbers as it will twist. I have sawn some Norway Pine for 6x6 and 8x8 blocking and never had a problem with twisting.

The timber framers all insist on using White Pine though it is not as strong.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Dave Shepard

White pine is our most stable wood around here. I've got about a 1,000 red pine left from 2,000 planted in the early forties. Trying to find something to do with it. I was going to saw it into cribbing, but green 8x8 red pine is too heavy to contemplate. :D I might just saw out some 6x6 and see how bad they twist. Doesn't matter too much for cribbing. Ours is pinus resinosa.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

moonhill

I would not use red/norway pine if there is a chance of it getting wet, at all.  And, even if it has to sit out to dry for any summer months (wet summer months are even worst) it will, at least, start the process of returning to the earth much sooner than any other wood I know of.  Too much sap wood.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

SwampDonkey

My mother had a 1" thick pedestal kitchen table built 25 years ago from red pine. It was stable and never moved. The use of the name Norway pine seems foreign. Red pine is a native tree, mills and woodlot owners in these parts call it red pine. I think it's just a regional thing, like tulip tree versus tulip poplar, tamarack and eastern larch.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

I agree on the rotting Tim. I starts to rot before you let off the throttle on the chainsaw. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!