iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening with diamond or CBN wheels

Started by BalticAbrasives, June 19, 2019, 05:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalticAbrasives

Hello,

Would like to ask to share the opinion who sharpens chains with diamond or CBN wheels. What improvements could be used?
Are you satisfied with the performance?

ladylake

Mine will blue the cutters too easy, otherwise good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jemclimber

Don't use diamond without coolant.  Diamond is carbon and with heat dissolves in the chain, use CBN.  If chains are blue, the cbn wheel is probably clogged and needs to be dressed/unclogged.  I assume you are referring to chainsaw chain.
lt15

ladylake

Not many chainsaw sharpeners are set up for coolant, I've tried cleaning the wheel.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

LeeB

wonder if a compressed air stream would work? Probably be messy though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

jimbarry

I use cbn for sawmill blades using woodmizer bms250. I also had a company make up different size cbn wheels to use on a cheap Oregon bench top grinder. Working good so far.

If your teeth are bluing, you are either taking too much off at one time or leaving the cbn wheel on the tooth too long I think. Having the right grit matters too. I have my wheels made up using the grits circled in this chart.

BalticAbrasives

Diamond and CBN wheels (resin bonded) can work dry no problem if they are produced correctly. Special bonding for dry operation should be used.
There should not be burning (teeth getting blue) problem. 
As jimbarry wrote maybe wheel is pushed too hard or too long on the tooth, but person who grinds should notice it soon and should eliminate this mistake. 

Jemclimber diamond wheels can perfectly work dry if they are produced correctly. The heat dispersion usually goes to wheel's body if body is made of aluminum.

Also please note that diamond wheel should be used only on carbide tipped teeth only (TCT).
CBN wheel should be used on steel chain teeth only. 

Normally wheels should not get clogged. But if it happens it is easy to "open" them with abrasive stick.

Thank You Sponsors!