iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon saw chain??

Started by dustyhat, May 31, 2017, 03:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyhat

This may have been on here before and i may get kicked off but i despise Oregon chain . how many diff ways do they make this chain, why dos it have rakers that are seat out even with the tooth sides. my stihl chain dont do this they have straight up drags. i have to fight it just to saw. my saw guy said it was all he could get . right out of the box its junk to me . my old wore out stihl chains will cut circles around them. i know to file down the drags when i need to but these are needing it on the side. has anybody else ever layed both brands out side by side, you need to and see what i see. sorry to put it down but i guess im just aggravated. 

Al_Smith

What style is it .All chain is not the same in case you didn't now .If it's safety chain anti kick back it won't cut as fast .If it's semi chisel instead of regular chisel it won't cut as fast .I've never had a problem with Oregon chain myself .Fact the only chain I've had a problem with was a "house brand " Baileys sold but since I no longer do business with them it's a moot point .

dustyhat

I dont know what its called . the guys go to town and came back with it. its the square cutting chain i guess thats what you call it single drag. put it on a 046 stihl and a 395 xp husky  we used to have a good stihl dealer and now he is retired so the guys pick this up at our local farm stores 30 years and these chains are wearing me out.  sorry but im mean rakers us hillbilly's call them drags.

BradMarks

Question for others:  Since I haven't purchased chain in years, is Stihl chain still harder steel than the Oregon chain?.  My experience was the Oregon chain was easy to file and get sharp, but didn't hold an edge like the Stihl chain. Same style chain, same files.  Anybody else?

dustyhat

I dont know but i just ended my rant with oregon chain .had twelve new ones three went over the hill today and the rest just went in the scrap barrel. mine must have been made in China or Taiwan.

OH logger

I prefer stihl chain too. Oregon is cheaper to buy but its just that...cheaper  >:(. I now sharpen with a grinder and for some reason the stihl chain wont get as hot and blue like the Oregon will. also when advancing the chain in the grinder the tops of the stilhl links are smoother and easier to back up if needed. and most importantly I think the stihl chain cuts better and holds an edge better   ;D.  2 things I cant stand are kids that don't listen and chains that don't cut. dull chains cause accidents and sore backs  >:(
john

killamplanes

jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Al_Smith

All this talk of dull chains brings up an old rule .You don't file a chain because it is dull,you file to keep it from getting  dull .Think about that .

CR888

If your throwing Oregon chain in the trash or over the hill because you can't make it cut worth a darn, it says more about the OP's skills on maintaining chain than it does the quality of Oregon chain that has been developed over many decades. I have run many, many brands of chain from quality swiss chain to cheap Chinese stuff and I'm yet to throw a loop in the trash because I could not make it cut well. There is many things one can do to tune chain besides filing the cutter and setting the rakers.

LeeB

Quote from: CR888 on June 02, 2017, 11:07:20 PM
If your throwing Oregon chain in the trash or over the hill because you can't make it cut worth a darn, it says more about the OP's skills on maintaining chain than it does the quality of Oregon chain that has been developed over many decades. I have run many, many brands of chain from quality swiss chain to cheap Chinese stuff and I'm yet to throw a loop in the trash because I could not make it cut well. There is many things one can do to tune chain besides filing the cutter and setting the rakers.

Educate us then. This forum is all about sharing knowledge.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

dustyhat

Yes, please let use know how you tune them. i for one am not to old to learn something new.

khntr85

Quote from: OH logger on May 31, 2017, 09:41:04 PM
I prefer stihl chain too. Oregon is cheaper to buy but its just that...cheaper  >:(. I now sharpen with a grinder and for some reason the stihl chain wont get as hot and blue like the Oregon will. also when advancing the chain in the grinder the tops of the stilhl links are smoother and easier to back up if needed. and most importantly I think the stihl chain cuts better and holds an edge better   ;D.  2 things I cant stand are kids that don't listen and chains that don't cut. dull chains cause accidents and sore backs  >:(

Hey what kind of grinder do you have....I grind a lot of my chains now too..

I got an Oregon 520 and got some diamond wheels....wow I am glad I got the grinder....you can turn out great chains with them.....I thought I would only use it for rocked chains, but it easily can turn out a better than out of the box chain.....

Yes I still hand file, but when I have more than one chain or want to "sure" up the angles, to the grinder they go....

The only limit with the grinder is the operators skill level....I believe that's why a lot of guys burn cutters and say "grinders suck"....

khntr85

Quote from: dustyhat on June 03, 2017, 09:30:02 AM
Yes, please let use know how you tune them. i for one am not to old to learn something new.

Can you please post a pic....for all we know it could be Oregon vanguard chain...hell even Oregon vangueard can be made to cut good, it all had to do with the skill of the man with the file/grinder...

thutch85

in my experience the Oregon chains need some work fresh out of the box. get all the teeth the same length and angle, file down and smooth off the rakers and they cut pretty good.

dustyhat

My dispute with Oregon chain is settled my skidder driver dont know what he is buying and the guy at the feed store dosent know what he is even selling, but im back in my groove know all is good.

CR888

Post some close up pics of your cutters so we can try to see what's the problem/problems.

Gary_C

If your throwing Oregon chain in the trash or over the hill because you can't make it cut worth a darn, it says more about the OP's skills on maintaining chain than it does the quality of Oregon chain that has been developed over many decades.

I agree completely. Most all harvesters run Oregon bars and chain and I sometimes buy .404 loops by the case and never had a single problem. I sometimes have sprocket nose problems with Oregon bars but it usually is because a bit tree pinched the nose.

This is not really a good place to vent about your unsubstantiated problems with any manufacturer because we always suspect you have a hidden agenda. What little your have explained poorly doesn't make sense to me and I've bought, used and sharpened hundreds of Oregon chains.

Just saying.....   :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

dustyhat

Just so you all no the chain has been returned . i apologize if i offended you guys , no need to beat a dead horse . like i done said everything is good. and everything has been taking care of from seller . i got my apologys and if i need to apologize to Oregon  . You have my apology. now lets all have a good weekend.

CR888

I don't think you offended anyone, we all get frustrated at things when they get in the way of work. We just wanted to help you get you chain cutting better, that's what forums like this are for. Glad you got it sorted & your back throwing wood chips.

John Mc

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 01, 2017, 06:23:16 PM
All this talk of dull chains brings up an old rule. You don't file a chain because it is dull,you file to keep it from getting dull.

I've posted that myself a coupe of times. It's a favorite quote from a GOL instructor.

Getting that mindset certainly makes things easier on the chainsaw and on the operator.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

:D I had an old farmer tell me one time,son a sharp tool will always make you money,a dull one will cost you .

Watch a meat cutter some time .In high school FFA I was 7th one time and 8th in another in the state competition in meat cutting .In preperation we went to several slaughter houses to learn things .Those meat cutters always had a butchers steel hanging on their belts that they used often .--to keep the knife from being dull .
Now on this saw chain,chisel,it takes me about 5 minutes with a file on a 20" loop if I file often .The few times I neglected to it took me twice or more the time . Filers can do that,grinders need to carry extra chains . ;)

Thank You Sponsors!