iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite questions

Started by Arandomperson, April 27, 2019, 07:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arandomperson

Hi all, I am not a tree cutter at all. However I do cut up logs that a friend, who is a tree cutter, drops off for me. 

Sometimes what he drops off is a bit large. For most everything I have been getting by with a stihl boss 290. Do my best to keep the blades sharp but to no avail some of the logs are just out of my league and I end up trying to cut around and never meeting up on the other side.

I also have an old homelite super ez automatic and took the 31?" bar off a super xl 925 homelite and would use that to cut through the logs I couldn't do with the stihl but the chain just could not be sharpened anymore, was probably the original my father had when he purchased it.

I finally Found a place to buy a new chain for the bar and set it all up ready to go. Started to cut and it grabbed, i mean it grabbed like it never had before. Long story short, safety first. Set it aside took bar and chain off and put the proper bar on but it aint no longer then the stihl bar so back to cutting spirals on large logs I just cant turn over. 

Was wondering if anyone had any notions as to where to start with xl 925. Seems to have good compression. But I seem to get no spark. Found in the forums that it has an electronic points system. But every where I have looked I can not seem to find a replacement system for it or a 31?" bar. Found the fuel line stuff and a few other things. Would love to find an schematic of it and those parts if at all possible. 

I cut wood maybe every other year and split and stack. Not an every day cutter. Try to get enough so I do not have to do it every year. So for me to go out and buy a new stihl or the like I just can not justify, not to mention that the homelites where my fathers and I like them. 

Thanks in advance 

I can not figure out how to post pictures. I clicked the thing but nothing is happening.

sawguy21

Welcome to the forum. You need to put pictures in your gallery then go to it when you are ready to add them to your posts. Scroll to the bottom of the home page for a tutorial.
The Homelite Super EZ is a little light for a 31" bar. The 925 has more than enough power but you will likely need to find a parts donor on e-bay or a garage sale, parts are long obsolete from Homelite. I suggest looking out for a larger Stihl or Husky in the classifieds or auction, parts and service are readily available. The old saws are fun for us hobbyists to play with but not very practical as a working tool.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

To find a decent replacement bar for that Homelite would be about like looking for a needle in a hay stack .However an easy fix with some modification could be a Stihl bar .You use basically thick washers as spacers to emulate the Stihl bar studs that have a larger "boss"  to fit the wider bar slots on the Stihl bars .You just have to make sure the bar heel is wide enough to align with the oil hole on the Homelite .

It might need some modification on the bar to align every thing .I have a Stihl mount  36" I use on a Homelite 2100 S that works fine .Fact as luck would have it the exact chain driver count worked for the big Homelite too .

As an added bonus in my case that bar will also work on a large reed valve McCulloch like a 125C .However using a seven tooth .404 drive .An 8 Tooth is one driver longer on the Mac .It works fine on the Homelite which is an 8 tooth .

dougand3

To get an IPL (Illustrated Parts List), just search the web for saw model #. Homelite XL 925 IPL
Here is one:
http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/partslist/HomeliteSuperXL925.pdf
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Thank You Sponsors!