iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to get diesel fuel smell out of clothes?

Started by Robert Owens, November 19, 2014, 07:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Holmes

I wife has suggested I use gas and flames to get the diesel odor out. :)
Think like a farmer.

MortalWombat

Quote from: WDH on November 20, 2014, 07:41:29 AM
My daddy always poured diesel on any kind of wound.  He said that it killed germs. 

We had a half grown dog that was chasing a rabbit, and the rabbit ran in between the tines of an up-turned chisel plow.  Well, the dog ran into the chisel plow and cut his head open.  My Daddy poured diesel fuel on the dogs head.

The dog did not make it.

But was his head wound germ free?

Solomon

I have a diesel drip system also.
The only time I've gotten fuel on my clothes it fillig the drip tank with a five gallon fuel can instead of a transfer pump. 
But darned if I can get the smell out on the first trip to the laundry mat.  I dont run them through MY washer dryer thats for sure.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

tule peak timber

When I fished commercially, the diesel smell faded away nicely after a couple of days of sleeping in fish guts and bait. No problem !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WDH

Fish guts are a great deodorizer.  After the fish guts, you can't smell anything else  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on November 20, 2014, 08:32:09 PM
Fish guts are a great deodorizer.  After the fish guts, you can't smell anything else  :D.

Thats RANK!

WDH

So now a little diesel smell in the clothes don't seem so bad  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Robert Owens

Maybe I have the drip line going too fast. I have a Cooks MP-32 with the wiper system and it works well. I'll slow it down and see what happens. Between my sawmill episodes and trapping season my wife has had all the strange and bad smells she can stand. I'm kind of partial to urine smells and skunk essence. All the more reason to get a shop built and get out of the garage.

thecfarm

I probably don't saw as much as you do,but I use half bar and chain and diesel. If I smelled like diesel the wife would have a fit. And than some.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

Quote from: Robert Owens on November 20, 2014, 08:49:32 PM
Maybe I have the drip line going too fast. I have a Cooks MP-32 with the wiper system and it works well. I'll slow it down and see what happens. Between my sawmill episodes and trapping season my wife has had all the strange and bad smells she can stand. I'm kind of partial to urine smells and skunk essence. All the more reason to get a shop built and get out of the garage.

If the mp32 has the same wiper system as my ac 36 you are using way too much...Keep a look at the blade and the wheel if its clean...that's enough.  You don't want excess diesel on the wood or you.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

tule peak timber

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 20, 2014, 08:37:01 PM
Quote from: WDH on November 20, 2014, 08:32:09 PM

Thats RANK!My wife is just now remembering how week old squid was almost a deal breaker. That and mixed with diesel......
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I always wore coveralls when I worked as a DIESEL FITTER.

willmyers0169

i had the same problem with fry oil after a day of cooking, washing in regular detergent wouldnt touch the smell, so i used 1/4 cup of blue dawn, about a cup of vinegar probly a 1/2 cup of baking soda and some regular detergent, with the hottest water i could get.  then i rewashed them on a normal cycle with normal detergent, gone.
Machinist, WM LT15 230 JD skidsteer 2010 JD 2955 JD Jonsered chainsaw

Nate379

I just toss diesel soaked clothes in the wash with the regular clothes, come out clean and don't smell.

Also wash rags in the washer.  Have grease, oil, diesel, gas, whatever on them.  Usually run those through twice though.

Not like having diesel smelling clothes is a bad thing though.  I tell people that's what a working man is supposed to smell like... diesel/gas, grease, exhaust, etc.

bandmiller2

As stated, if your getting diesel all over your clothes your using/wasting too much use a wick and just apply a sheen of diesel no drips. I quit using diesel on my bands too expensive now I use used ATF, wick applied. Worked with diesel all my life don't find it offensive unless I'am soaked in it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

I bought one of those bulb primers from WM for my diesel fuel line, this eliminated most of my diesel down the shirt collar problem.  ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Banjo picker

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 21, 2014, 07:54:17 AM
As stated, if your getting diesel all over your clothes your using/wasting too much use a wick and just apply a sheen of diesel no drips. I quit using diesel on my bands too expensive now I use used ATF, wick applied. Worked with diesel all my life don't find it offensive unless I'am soaked in it. Frank C.
Where do you get the used ATF?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Frank, I'l bet your joints move like a teenagers.  :)

bandmiller2

Alas Poston those days of my youth are but a faint memory. I changed the oil in my tranny and saved it looked nice and clean. Take a few nice wood blocks to a transmission shop and you should come out with years supply of nice ATF. If its a nice red color fine if brown leave it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sixacresand

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 20, 2014, 10:03:37 PM

Post, Is that the job you had at the women's clothing factory? ;D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Sixacresand on November 22, 2014, 09:46:59 AM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 20, 2014, 10:03:37 PM

Post, Is that the job you had at the women's clothing factory? ;D

Yep......waiting to see who caught on.  :D :D :D You win the ribbon.  ;D

redprospector

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Sixacresand

I was once the guy who followed the guy with the chainsaw cutting up pulp wood.  I was the "pilot".  He cut it up and I pile it.  :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

FarmingSawyer

When I was working at the sawmill courting the sawyers daughter...Mama made me a quilted comforter for my bachelor bed out of jeans pockets. One of the patches was from the old boys work pants...and smelled like diesel. Well, we got married and divorced and one of the girls still has that comforter, cuase her Gran made it fer me. And yes, if you put your nose reel close to dark colored pocket......it still smells like diesel. Never bothered me cause it always seemed like I ended up using the stuff as mouth wash working around the mill.....
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Thank You Sponsors!