iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1947 Willys Jeep or 1990s era Humvee for running around the property?

Started by bigtrees, June 11, 2019, 03:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

My dad sold a 1948 CJ2A to a guy in Colorado sight unseen .That fellow drove that thing from northwestern Ohio to Denver .1200 miles and it took him 4 days at 45 MPH .The minimum speed on the interstate highways is 40 MPH .Wise choice to only drive day light hours because the lights on those things were not very good .Not a good plan to get ran over by a semi on interstate 70 .He called dad when he got there .Said the old Jeep never missed a lick .

In those days,1980 the old Jeeps were at a premium in the mountain states .That $ 1500 he gave would have cost him twice that in Colorado.Dad took that money and bought 3 more junkers and restored two of the three .Some of those left over parts are in a big pile in my shop as I type .I think the CJ5 I have is one of them .
I might take dad a year to do a body off restore .He wasn't in a hurry as he always had one in running condition to plow snow etc .In that pile in my shop is two front drive winches ,one capstan and one cable .The rear power takeoff assembly plus a gear drive  rear winch .Plus a very  creative front drive dad made using a long shafted Ford starter with link chain reduction.Having said that I came by my junk yard dog mentality honestly--it's a family tradition. ;D

gspren

All the old jeep talk has me thinking and that is dangerous. My first car was a 51 Willy's wagon and through the years I had about a dozen jeeps of various types. Now I think I want a 1951 CJ3A or military equivalent as that was undoubtedly the best year for jeeps and people, at least that's my story. ;D 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

John Mc

Quote from: Sixacresand on June 11, 2019, 09:59:05 PM
My dad ran jeeps and we were always tinkering on them.  Love to have one now.   Love the Roxor that Mihindra sells
That Mahindra Roxor does look interesting. It's basically based on the old Willy's Jeep design, but with modern upgrades. You see them all over the place in other countries. In the US, they are only legal for off-road use (some states may allow them on-road on some roads, just as some states allow the Japanese mini-trucks or UTVs on some roads). 

We have a motorcycle & ATV dealer down the road from us that sells them. I'm not sure how they are selling. If our state allowed them at least on our secondary roads (40 MPH speed limits or less), I'd bet the sales would really take off.

Back in January, I exchanged several emails with someone in the Mahindra North America facility in Michigan about future plans. They are working on a more "work-oriented" design that will have more cargo space. They are also looking at a dump bed option - EPA regs prohibit them from offering a hydraulic dump bed with their current engine configuration. EPA also limits the max they can list. When I asked "what would you list as the max. weight if there were no EPA restriction?" His answer was "4608 lbs is max possible.... so almost 1000 pounds over current allowable weight."
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

My buddy,RIP had an old Wagoner he dropped a Ford Y block 292 engine in .In spite of much more power it would still only run about 50 MPH on the roads .V8 Ford just screaming .If that engine was still in the '56 Ford it came out of at those RPM's it would be running 100 MPH .---yes before anybody asks those old Fords would do it .

Crusarius

its all about gearing. the reason the willy's are so good at everything is the 5.13's in the diffs. or is it 5.38's I forget but its stupid low. besides you would not want to drive one of those faster than maybe 50 mph stock.

Al_Smith

The front ends get so loose they walk all over the road at 30 MPH let alone 45 .You can get every part ever made and lots of after market stuff that is better than the originals .A complete frame if you want,complete body,anything .Most people don't go into front ends unless they are so worn out it won't go any where you aim it . I get my stuff out of Florida ,Midwest Willeys-Jeep .The guy who owns it is very knowledgeable .

Al_Smith

Let me interject another thought .I've turned wrenches on anything from bulldozers to chainsaws and a Jeep CJ is not the easiest thing to work on .Everything is shoe spooned into a short frame and narrow wheel spacing .Even on a drive on car hoist the wheel spacing is so narrow have to ride the rail on one side  .It might be easy if you have hands the size of a young child . It's a challenge just to get to the parts that need attention .

Then things like the rear axles are tapered  requiring a special puller to remove the hub to work on the brakes .
I've often said in the chainsaw section if you want a challenge try working a Mini Mac .On automotive stuff try a Jeep CJ .

luvmexfood

I would go with something like a Polaris Ranger. Goes anywhere. Narrow to maneuver between trees and easy to get in and out of.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Mad Professor

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 12, 2019, 11:32:28 AM
With the primitive  stock brakes and steering I wouldn't want to go more than 45 in an old Willys. :D My bil has one, a real beater he uses for hunting. He took me for a ride on the bush trails, I quickly found out it had no brakes on top of that he was waiting for eye surgery. He couldn't see!
I have an early CJ5 w/buick V6 and warn overdrive.  It will cruise 70 mph highway.  You can put one of those buicks in or they have adapters for 4.3-L chevy V6, and an overdrive.
For brakes you can adapt 70-80s C10 4WD chevy disks up front.  The drums are dicey at highway speeds.
A jeep is going to go through woods a lot easier than a Humvee.

florida

The original military Humvees are way too big and are so loud you need to wear ear muffs inside them. They are also as mechanically unreliable as any vechicle ever built. Did I mention gas hogs? The H2s are just poorly repurposed GM pickups. One of my guys drives one now and never shuts up complaining about the 6 mpg he gets. 
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

rubberfish

Quote from: florida on June 27, 2019, 08:10:31 AMOne of my guys drives one now and never shuts up complaining about the 6 mpg he gets.
Remember the saying "I'll give you something to cry about".
Send him up here. Regular is right around $4.05usd a gallon.  :D  :D That should get him riled up.
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

florida

rubberfish
He would too. He's trying to make extra money driving for Uber in that hog. We don't even have urban centers so he's making 30 and 40 mile trips and getting paid $20.00.
Retired now!

KYtoolsmith

Add my vote for the Willys! I use a 47 CJ2a  on our 40 acres of steep hilly woodland almost daily. It also gets me to town on errands. It is restored... Original engine, locking hubs, Warn overdrive. Stock wheels, original style tires.  No brake problems, plenty of power from that flat head four. Easy to restore and maintain. Never let's me down!
Timberking 1220, JD 2032 w FEL/forks, 51 Ford 8n, 47 CJ2a, 51 GMC 100, 80 acres of forest farm.
Makin' sawdust!

florida

Where's the OP? 36 people have taken the time to respond but the OP hasn't been back.  
Retired now!

btulloh

HM126

K-Guy

The jeep gets my vote. The old M38 I drove in the military was great, we also has the M151, with a roll bar installed in Canada, but the M38 is my favorite.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Raider Bill

I'm on the look out for a new Geo or Samurai. We done broke this one a couple weeks ago. Actually broke it in half :(
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Al_Smith

Aha ,a revelation that  never dawned on me until now .My 1965 Jeep CJ5 which was made from parts of three has given me fits .Misfires at higher speeds .Changed the points condenser etc with  very little improvement .It could be a situation where it could have a 6 volt coil running on 12 volts.
When you double the voltage you quadruple the high voltage output and quadruple the primary amperage across the points thus jumping the points at higher speeds causing misfire .
Because it was assembled from a pile of parts my dad could have over looked that fact which would just need a voltage dropping ballast resister to lower the voltage .Why that came so late to me I do not know. A ballast resister is only around 6 bucks ,I'll order one ,flea bay .

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

barbender

One of those little Japanese 4x4 utility trucks could fit quite nicely, too👍
Too many irons in the fire

charles mann

a mil hummer is about as ride friendly as a dozer crawling down a rocky mountain slope and aren't that good. 13 yrs driving them and id rather find a M35A1 or 2 (deuce and a half), bob the back axle out, shorten the bed and go with that over a hummer. but out of your choices, fix the jeep or buy a utv.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Al_Smith

Just yesterday my flea bay ballast resister came in the mail for my CJ5 with an IOE engine .My dad being over 80 years old at the time must have over looked the 6 volt coil operating on 12 volts because it fixed the miss fire problem .I feel kind of stupid because the problem eluded me so long .It was right there and I missed it ,duh .

hedgerow

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 23, 2019, 07:43:58 AM
Just yesterday my flea bay ballast resister came in the mail for my CJ5 with an IOE engine .My dad being over 80 years old at the time must have over looked the 6 volt coil operating on 12 volts because it fixed the miss fire problem .I feel kind of stupid because the problem eluded me so long .It was right there and I missed it ,duh .
I have seen this a lot over the years on older equipment that people changed over to 12V and forgot about the coil. I fixed a 8N Ford a while back a guy had been fighting on and off for five years since it was converted to 12V. 

Al_Smith

What frustrates so much is the fact I have a TO 20 Ferguson running on 12 volts and I had seen the problem before but over looked that fact .I guess the old adage is right ,"can't see the forest for the trees ".

Al_Smith

I will add another thing .Using over width tires ,mine are big fat ones from a Lincoln I used to own and tire chains on all four the old  CJ's will dig their way through about anything except soupy mud . Nothing is as bad as mud ,it will mire down just about anything can get stuck in it .

Thank You Sponsors!