iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

summer chores 2020

Started by doc henderson, May 18, 2020, 07:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

here is a pic of my son William helping clean the pool cover so it can dry and be stored for the summer.  the pool is an amoeba shape we installed about 12 years ago, and is 30 by 60 feet.  we did it ourselves, and the company has only sold 5 of the kits, since they are difficult to get right.

this is the shallow end half.  William is using a pressure washer floor cleaner, with a little soap to clean, followed with a scrub brush and a rinse.  then have to hang up to dry.

that is right, you can see my flag on the left, and this is America, and i can do all kinds of crazy stuff in my yard!!   :D :D 8) 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

You are one of a kind Doc! I have never seen any shadow or hint of a pool in any of your other photos. I can't imagine how you would ever find time to get in it?
 If I didn't know better I would think you didn't sleep. Glad to see your son is taking your lead and staying busy (while keeping out of trouble  ;D).
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

it is on the other side of the house.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

the clinic behind us built up the ground 3 feet so now we do not drain on the lower backside of our property  so William has been helping with establishing grade and drainage from our sidewalks down to a swale.

lumberjack stake pointer.

WV Sawmiller

I gotta look into that Lumberjack stake pointer. Looks like same concept as my tenon cutter from them. I got out and sharpened the blades on it today BTW. I even reversed the knives on my planer.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

It works ok, got it on sale.  we use the dewalt 18 volt drill.  the blades wing out so made the holder so you do not hit your leg with the back edge of the blade.  tubes diff. sizes, welded to the expanded steel scrap, so you can stand on it, and change stakes faster than a clamp, and safer the standing on the stake with your foot.  easier to use than a tenon cutter.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: doc henderson on May 26, 2020, 06:04:54 PM
the clinic behind us built up the ground 3 feet so now we do not drain on the lower backside of our property  so William has been helping with establishing grade and drainage from our sidewalks down to a swale.

lumberjack stake pointer.
Start trucking in dirt and get it to drain back that way 😊. Or drainage tile with a couple small risers

Magicman

That is a civil engineering/building permit problem.  No landowner is allowed to change the water flow on another property.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I just watched a video of a guy using them to make stakes similar to what I do. Looks like moving and clamping the individual stakes was the biggest time constraint. The stakes look better than mine which have one 45 degree cut. I usually cut 10' boards then edge them into 1" stickers, line them up crossways on my 5X8 trailer then saw them in half with  my 7-1/4" circle saw at an angle so each half has a one angled point. They would be prettier If I notched off the angle into an arrowhead shape but that would mean individually handling each stake again. I bundle them into groups of 12 and tie with a leftover hay string (I knew feeding that mule was gonna pay off one of these day! :D) I'm only selling mine for $10/dz which is likely too cheap but still works out to $2/bf and I could not sell rough cut 4/4 ash boards for that around here. I could not do it if I was sawing full time for a living like Peter D or Yellowhammer but this is my hobby time and I can get by with it.

I guess I could spread my 10' "stickers" out a couple inches apart like I do now only put a heavy weight on the middle to sort of mass clamp them then walk around each side with my drill with the stake cutter head on it, cut a point on each end then saw them then stand them up and saw them in half with chainsaw or circle saw or take them to the RAS and cut in half.

Thanks for showing and explaining. I may pursue this in the future.
Quote from: Magicman on May 26, 2020, 06:58:35 PM
That is a civil engineering/building permit problem.  No landowner is allowed to change the water flow on another property.
Lynn,

I wish you'd tell the road department guys that here in WV. I have been fighting a running battle with run-off from a neighbor's drive that causes excess water that stops up the drain by my mailbox. If I don't spot it in time and clear the drain of leaves, Autumn is the worst season, water will get 6" deep in the road and run over and flood my log barn. I've diverted some of my run-off and should get auxiliary pay from the county and road dept. for getting out in the rain and opening it to prevent a bad traffic hazard. They have been out to see it and admit the design is bad but they approved it. I feel sorry for my neighbor as her drive washes out and I don't know how many mufflers and tailpipes and such she has replaced or repaired and in the winter it freezes and they have to park at the bottom and walk up there.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Walnut Beast

That is a civil engineering/building permit problem.  No landowner is allowed to change the water flow on another property.
Well they did it to him. Depends on the zoning rules I would assume. If he didn't live in the city limits there probably would be no rules except for digging 

doc henderson

that is true.  I got with the builder and he gave me some dirt and said to call the architect and civil engineer.  I have a buried dog fence, and am redoing that.  so it is complicated.  I have been told I can do what I want, but hate to get legal.  good advice for sure.  thanks MM

doc henderson

this was the reason to get the sidewalk along the retaining wall done, to grade off of to the swale.  The land behind me 8 years ago had deer, coyotes, and foxes on it.  

Walnut Beast

I did a subdivision years ago. Unfortunately if people do stuff that affects your property legally or not you have to get a lawyer involved and that's $$$$$. Been there done that. And I'm still dealing with stuff

Resonator

Seeing that pad mount transformer, (if you haven't done so already) make sure you call 811 (dig safe) and get everything marked.  :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

But of course it goes both ways.  If your water was previously going onto the adjacent property, it's a different situation.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

there was a natural waterway between the properties, but they have bought 3 properties and stopped that drainage.  prob. for 100 years it had been that way.  I will fix it.  that is comm's only but good suggestion Res.  good hard work for my son to learn on.

Southside

I have the same Lumberjack pointer mounted on my Shop smith to make garden stakes.  Takes 5 seconds per stake and they come out perfect.  I don't clamp them in place, just use the tail end table as a place holder and push down, works well. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

@Southside can you post a pic for those of us without a shop smith?  here are some pics of my daughter helping out.  she is a senior in college and still helps out dad.  her trampoline was worn out with broken springs and tears in the safety net.  

taking the old one down.

she says the new one works good!

helping sticker some walnut here, with Mulberry on the right.  had some ant damage down the center, but should make a nice epoxy pour opportunity for someone.

WV Sawmiller

Very pretty young lady. She must take after her mom. :D

Here is our latest pix of 15 mo old gd. We have not seen her and 3.5 y/o brother in several months and I'm going into withdrawal.

She and her brother look just like their dad with our daughter's eyes and hair. She is eating hummus and crackers and got upset when she ran out. She went for 15 month check up last week and got her shots and instead of getting nervous or scared she just got mad when they poked her with the needle.
Howard Green

RichTired

Doc, I am surprised you have a trampoline, being a doctor! Lots of broke bones in kids with trampolines when my kids were growing up... :)

Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Corley5

Our home owners insurance policy asks if we have a trampoline.😉☺️. We don't.  Never have had one.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

farmfromkansas

I bought a trampoline for the granddaughters to use, never had any accidents.  The state of Kansas has laws about drainage, can't dam up water on your neighbor, etc, but cities do not abide by those laws.  Guys block the neighbors water from going across their yard,etc, and you can do nothing about it. The plan on our last subdivision, I was going to designate the rear of the yards as a drainage easement to prevent problems with people blocking drainage, but the city got difficult and we did not develop that land.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Sedgehammer

Trampolines are great. Yeah, they might get hurt some, but that's life and better they learn that early on vs not until they are snowflaked already. we've become too civilized and it's doing more harm then good.
Necessity is the engine of drive

doc henderson

only one jumper at a time.  yes I saw 3 broken arms in one shift when they opened a trampoline park in Wichita.  but many people at one time.  a larger person with a smaller one is a big no no.  you can launch the smaller one by the multiple of the weight of the larger one.  little kids not expecting it, land on their heads, and bad news.  if several kids start jumping, everyone off the trampoline.  My daughter is 21 and loves it as a stress reliever and exercise.  still have the net on the outside to keep little one from just getting on and or falling off.  when my daughter was about 2 we were on the cousins, and we started playing the game of running from dad to the other side, and she got so good, she beat me there once and fell off, bit her tongue.  we never played that game again.  We have had no broken bones, due to in part parental supervision.  it could happen.  we also have a pool.  My dads younger brother drown in the river while he was in the military.  we have all been in swimming lessons since we were 4.  My mom and wife are both afraid of the water, cause they never learned to swim.  My mom was afraid for us but felt it was good to learn.  the biggest compliment she ever paid me was to let me take her out in my sail boat.  Of course she brought coffee and filled my cup to the top and set it on the bench beside me.  that was hot.  spilled and ran on my leg as I was tacking out.  My wife took adult swimming lessons and can swim, is still a little afraid, and cannot dive off the side of the pool.  So do not know the right answer.  I am a little bit of a "that which does not kill us ... kind a guy.   :)

Chuck White

In this area if you put up a trampoline, your homeowners insurance WILL be cancelled if it isn't removed within 30 days of notification!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!