iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the difference?

Started by Hale87, November 12, 2009, 11:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

Just got off the phone with Woodmizer. Ordered a box of new blades.
Per their recommendation, I ordered .042 versus Hudson's recommended .035 blade thickness for my Hudson 28 with 16 inch drive wheels. I think I ordered,,,,,,,,,,  156" X .042 X 1.25 X 10s.

Cut some dead ash, white oak and cherry yesterday. Things are starting to go better. Also managed to knock a brand new blade off, damaging it in the process.

I hate learning curves..........
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

James P.

the difference is the heavier blade will possibly suffer from blade fatigue from the smaller diameter wheels before the thinner blade. That learning curve with a band blade is a little less expensive than the one with a large circular.  Good luck.

fstedy

That learning curve is something we all are still going thru. Each mistake you make forges it into your memory. You won't make the same mistake easily the next time. Get yourself in the habit of establishing good operating proceedures and that learning curve is easier to navigate.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Brad_S.

All things being equal and assuming you saw is in proper working order, the thicker blade will track truer and cut straighter. That's the plus.
The negatives are, as stated, the flex from the small wheels you have will lead to shorter band life and the thicker blade body will take more power to pull through the cut, so you may find your saw struggling a bit more to make cuts.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Hale87

I was also concerened with metal fatigue, but he thinks it's worth the trade off. Right now that 13 hp Vanguard seems to be more than adequate. There's plenty of room for a bigger engine, so maybe I'll do that in the future? Power was one of the reason he recommended the 10 versus the 9.

Thanks for your opinions.........
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Magicman

You are making a wonderful start to being a very good sawyer...... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmills1

when I went from .035 to .042 on my lt40 it was like day and night, later I went to .045..................then.... well thats not what you asked. ::)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!